Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Wigan (16/8/14) - Post Match Views.

Comments

• Options
    Great to win with a late deflection - especially after the Bees equaliser last week.

Thumbs up = Cousins, for an excellent all round work rate and goal.
    Thumbs down = Hendo and Wiggy, playground defending for the Wigan goal.
  • Options
    A massive 3 points for us, with our first 2 home games being against hard opposition in Wigan and Derby, you could easily have imagined us losing both matches or just getting 1 point. It got a little bit sedate mid way through the second half, and taking Tucudean off meant we had nobody to hold the ball up, but we rallied at the end.
  • Options
    Interesting to hear about two 'non - English maternal / paternal language speakers' having a fight over insulting swearing. Sometimes it is so easy to swear in a non-native language, even if you have a high level in that language, without fully appreciating the impact. Perhaps it is equally easy to under / over react too.

Sorry to those who don't get this post but I find the choice of words of non-native speakers in any language to be interesting (including my own!)
  • Options
    The key to this success was the two centre backs and Boyens in midfield. Unlike others I thought Ben Haim outshone Bikey as the standout defender. He had some tremendous headed clearances from corners and read their threats well. He also combined well with Boyens to start many of our moves. His surging run into their half led to panic and ultimately our winner. Like others I liked it when he rolled round on the floor thrashing the gound with his fists for joy when we scored. Good start to the season, how long will it continue?
  • Options
    Wigan were no mugs. They showed quality all over the pitch and some of their defending was different class. The fact that we had better chances overall makes me very hopeful.

Pope looks like he will defend his area with his life. He took out 2 Wigan players needing treatment with one clearance and even took Bikey out when he was in the way, that takes commitment.

Days may be numbered for Wiggins and JJ I fear, they looked the only weak points.
  • Options
    Great afternoon. First half was terrific, the second strangely mooted till the fireworks at the end. Likes - the pop up bar behind east stand with Wye Valley beer; great playing surface (isn't strange the ball stays in when rolling along the by-line); rock solid central defenders; a strong skilful midfielder; a young England hopeful who has found shooting boots; and forwards who have goals in them. Worries - a goalkeeper who thinks he is Manuel Neuer...he's not; a left back who is making too many mistakes: Jacko's legs; Solly's knees.
  • Options
    In fairness to Wiggins I don't think he will come up against better wingers than Mcmanaman.. I thought he was excellent today.
  • Options
    I know it's only early doors but how nice is it to see us up that end for a change
  • Options
    Ben Haim different gravy,as was Buyens,Gudmundson and just gutted Igor didn't score he is a handful
  • Options
    Ben Haim's run in the lead up to the winner was great to see from a CB in the closing stages of a game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great to read most of this thread. Think we are moving firmly in the right direction.

Note re Jacko. On the live commentary Finchy said several times that Jacko had been suffering a stomach bug and was only passed fit late on.
  • Options
    On the plus side the central defenders were excellent so Morro will have trouble getting back in the side on today's performance. Boyens was a class apart and up front Vetokele worked hard and kept Wigan on the back foot. On the negative side, Wiggins was too easily beaten (and not just for the goal), Gudmundsson seemed to have little understanding with Solly and failed to get any decent crosses in from the by-line and Cousins demonstrated that he is not a left sided midfielder (good goal apart). However once Jacko went off, Gudmundsson went left, Cousins moved into his best spot in the centre and Wilson took up where he left off on the right with Solly. And suddenly with 15 minutes left we were balanced and were the only side likely to win.
  • Options
    Impressed by Buyens. He looks quality.

Pleasantly surprised by TBH and Bikey. Wasn't sure about those 2 but they were very good today. TBH is very vocal which I love. At one point was going mental at Bikey for not showing for the ball from Henderson !

Gudmundsson looks lively.
    Not sure about George ... We need to give him time to settle before judging.
    Vetokele will score if he is given service I think.

Cousins had a very good game. Seeing him attack at the full back was great to see.
    Jacko quiet but he's important to the team.
    Solly was Solly ! Class as always.
    Wiggins is severely lacking in confidence. Someone needs to whack an arm round him.
    Hendersons kicking is terrible! Otherwise I think he will be solid.
    Moussa also looks exciting. Wanted the ball all the time.

Great feeling walking away today! First time in a long while I'm extremely excited. Not saying we're challenging. Just looks good for the season ahead and beyond. Good football being played, passionate player, extremely passionate manager. It's all a good mix!
  • Options
    Pleasantly surprised

If we get that French fella to play up top with IV then we will have a good side

Buyens and Bikey impressed me the most

Bloody love last minute winners
  • Options
    Don't pre judge George think he has a good footballing brain and will be a good folly for Igor thought he held it up well.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Great to read most of this thread. Think we are moving firmly in the right direction.

Note re Jacko. On the live commentary Finchy said several times that Jacko had been suffering a stomach bug and was only passed fit late on.

@PragueAddick‌ I thought he kept going never shirked a tackle and put himself about a bit early on however Buyens had a very good game and compared to JJ was on a different level. Normal performance we have come to expect of him these days without scoring or producing anything from set plays hence average at best. Kept cajoling those around him though as all good captains should.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Played some very good stuff at times against a well organised decent Wigan side. Play overall mostly equal but I think we deserved it as we created all the chances and should have gone ahead earlier. Don't remember our keeper making any save of note and their goal was from poor defending.

We slowed down noticably last 20 minutes and allowed Wigan most of the possession, yet still we created good chances. We're clearly a team that's better on the break as when Wigan got men behind the ball we couldn't really do anything. The fastest attacking wise I've seen us for many years.

Buyens worked very hard and had some nice passes but I don't go along with the total praise for him. I felt he's still not expecting the game to be as fast as it is. Several times he got caught in possession or misplaced a pass when he thought he was gonna have more time and was closed down. His inexperience was highlighted to me when 2nd half the ball was heading for a throw in to us after our corner and he was strolling thinking it was just going to go out unchallenged, then panicked when he realised a defender was actually making an effort to keep it in. But lots of promise and hopefully he will be able to adjust his mindset.

Cousins played well if getting a bit excited at times and making the wrong decisions after he scored that great goal. Understandable though.

Vetokele and Gudmensson the stand out players for me. Vetokele looks not just a decent striker but also worked hard and never stopped running. Gudmensson not scared to take people on and some nice passes and touches.

Wiggins not at his best and mainly at fault for the goal but was up against a good player. I don't remember noticing JJ, I don't know if that's good or bad? Tucedean looked as though he had some good ideas but didn't look confident or interested with any physical stuff.

Defence looked a little disorganised a few times in first half but overall look like they can be a decent unit. Read the game well mostly and strong CB's.

Henderson did ok, not really tested, but his distribution was pretty poor. Pope look confident when he come on and loved it when he just wiped out the forwards to punch the ball.

Many positives especially for a newly put together team. Tuesday will be a big test.
  • Options
    i thought we didnt create much, neither us nor wigan seemed to be able to string a pass together, felt sorry for Vetokele, he had to do it all on his own
  • Options
    TravHouse said:

In fairness to Wiggins I don't think he will come up against better wingers than Mcmanaman.. I thought he was excellent today.

Wiggins broke his foot in the run-in so would have done little prior to pre-season. Was woeful in Belgium. Give him another month.
  • Options

i thought we didnt create much, neither us nor wigan seemed to be able to string a pass together, felt sorry for Vetokele, he had to do it all on his own

Assuming you were there of course, I was not. Quite a differing report from all the gushers on here. Strange how people see a different game. Vive le difference!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Don't pre judge George think he has a good footballing brain and will be a good folly for Igor thought he held it up well.

A la Paul Hayes for BWP?
  • Options
    Just to mention that Jackson was a doubt before the start with a stomach bug
  • Options

The "returning from injury" Wiggins was OK, other than getting skinned twice by Macmanaman - a player who was motm in the cup final against City 2 year ago, and should probably be playing in the prem.

It is tiresome how people declare a player as sh*t and past his best based on a couple of isolated incidents.

Not sure anyone is suggesting "he's shit" merely pointing out he had a poor game and he did have a poor game.

• Options

The "returning from injury" Wiggins was OK, other than getting skinned twice by Macmanaman - a player who was motm in the cup final against City 2 year ago, and should probably be playing in the prem.

It is tiresome how people declare a player as sh*t and past his best based on a couple of isolated incidents.

Agreed. Second half was much better and he was less of a threat. They isolated Wiggins against him first half and really the ball from midfield should have been cut out earlier. I think Wiggins will be fine with a run of games.
  • Options
    Think a lot of what I thought has been said.

But a couple of things, thought the game changed when Cousins moved more central after Jacko was subbed, we appeared to create more and looked a lot more busy. Would be great to see how him and Buyens could handle the middle together.

Also today was the first time I can remember for a while where I felt confident we would not crumble in the last 5 minutes. Obvious questions over why Morro has not been starting, but In Bikey and Ben Haim we have 2 players who don't get bullied with long ball or direct football. Commanding in the air and Bikey's distribution is superb. The kind of ruggedness we have needed the past few seasons when dealing with the Marc-Antoine Fortunes and Chris Martin's of the league.

Wigan passed the ball more but nor Pope or Henderson had a notable save to make, we deserved it.

Happy for Pope and you could see how happy Peeter's was for him at the end, great to see Pope clatter two Wigan players when he could have easily retreated back to his line if he wasn't 100% sure he was going to make it.

The improvements round the Valley looked great aswell, very happy.
  • Options
    Interesting to see what Peeters does re Pope. I suppose it depends on the extent of Henderson's injury and how long he will be out. If it is a two week or so lay off then I expect he will go with Pope and Phillips on the bench. However, if Henderson is out for a longer period will he get someone in on loan for cover?

I hope he gives Pope a go and we can see if the pre season claims by some that he is not ready for Championship football are true or not. Could be a really big opportunity for him and one he should grab with both hands ( and not drop.)