Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

NFL 2014

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    I see the Cowgirls have lost demarco murray as they couldn't afford his contract demands.....thats a big loss to them, shame.
    Dallas Cowboys the Palace of the NFL
  • Options

I don't stand all this trading and drafts stuff. Can someone explain it to an NFL simpleton like me?

Each team has a set amount of money to use towards salaries for players, which is capped by NFL to increase competition within the league. Many players negotiate a contract whereby the yearly salary increases. To work within the cap, some teams will trade players for positions they feel they need to strengthen, or they will not offer them a contract, which makes the player a free agent.

The draft is young players from colleges that get picked one by one by the 32 teams. The team that had the worst record last season goes first, then the next worst and so on. However things get complicated because teams can trade draft picks for other picks, or players, or both.

The way the league tries to make things competitive each year by giving the pick of the youngsters to the worst teams is great imo, obviously you will always have teams that struggle and teams that stay at the top, but you won't get the big team /little team split like in many European football leagues
  • Options
    Well well, Tom Brady suspended 4 games for cheating.
  • Options
    12-4 season coming up then.

Wouldn't be surprised if Belichick put Edelman in as Quarterback, or even a freaky rotation system between him and Garoppolo
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Hate the Pats but strange to be punished without full finding of guilt. Apparently he was probably generally aware....

The massive punishment comes less than a week after independent investigator Ted Wells found that it was "more probable than not" that Brady was "at least generally aware of the inappropriate activities" regarding the deflation of Patriots game balls used in the AFC Championship Game against the Colts.
  • Options
    Surely the Pats centre would have known as well but he's probably not high profile enough for a punishment
  • Options
    Report should have come out before the draft, it was a joke it took as long as it did.
    Brady would not hand over his phone or give access to his emails.

Is this punishment harsh - probably on the balance of evidence, but the Pats have form for cheating.

Precident was also sent with bounty gate 2yrs ago. New Orleans had their coach suspended for a year even though he was not involved.
  • Options
    So for a draft newbie...

When is it?
    Who is in it? I know it's college players but is an official list of some sort released every year?
    How do they decide the picking order?
  • Options
    edited July 2015

So for a draft newbie...

When is it?
    Who is in it? I know it's college players but is an official list of some sort released every year?

I am far from an expert .. don't know when the draft takes place .. the team with the worst record gets first pick and so on until the SB winners get last pick .. round/selection one of course displays the 'best rated' players for selection and so on down the rounds .. picks can be traded/swapped, a lot of that goes on .. the drafted players ? .. huge amount of statistics both college team and individual players as well as opinions and reports are collated to determine the 'value' and 'quality' of the college boys wanting to graduate to the NFL .. as you see from the article, QB is often the most prized asset
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks Lincs. Makes a bit more sense.
  • Options

So for a draft newbie...

When is it?

The draft is in April. All the teams get picks based on the teams postioning at the end of the previous season. Worst gets first pick etc. what is common, is a team will trade a pic. If you want a higher pick, you ask a team to trade which might mean that they give you their place in the order of picks, but you give say two lower places in return. It does work well, and seems to keep everybody happy.

They pick from basically all the college players, but before they do, they get as many of the top college players into camps, and time they running, watch them train, and micro watch them, then they decide who they want then try to get them to agree to join them if they pick them.
  • Options

So for a draft newbie...

When is it?

Draft was a few months ago mate.
  • Options
    JaMarcus - shudders at memory.