Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rugby World Cup 2015

Comments

• Options
    McBobbin said:

If Australia win the world cup, nobody could say it wasn't deserved

You cant honestly suggest that a side that only beats Scotland in last minute could win the World Cup !!??.

NZ are light years ahead of everyone.
    Would they be worthy if they had pumped us like we were wearing england shirts??
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Now that I've calmed down and had a stiff scotch. Better for the tournament that the Aussies got through as I think that was Scotland's day in the sun. Agree with the comment that NewZealand will wipe the floor with anything that's left. Shame it was such a dubious penalty though. Aussie coach was not particularly gracious in his interview (we gave them three tries etc). Not a very likeable bloke so I'll take great pleasure if the Argies beat them (highly unlikely) or if New Zealand give them a good trumping in the final (highly likely). Terrific game though. Didn't think we would perform so creditably. Was offered a bet at the golf club earlier on us losing by a 30 point margin and wouldn't have been surprised if we had.

My Irish mate is not very happy.

If only the ref in the Scotland Samoa game had seen Laidlaw's little knock on for the final try, that game today would have been Japan v Australia! On such small margins are tournaments won and lost.

Except not this one which will be won by New Zealand. ;-)
  • Options
    Good point Arthur.

Australia did have a try ruled out for a knock on today.
    (the Ref checked that one on TMO)
    It was if the Aussie coach knew the game would be decided in the last minute,
    When he said trust me this game will go to the wire, 5 minutes before KO.
    Why did the Referee run off the field without shacking the players hands ?
    Did he think he would get a Glasgow kiss.

If the All Black bring their A game to the Semi and final, they will win,
    But their B game won't beat SA or Australia, if they don't.
  • Options
    Australia v Argentina will be close. I think it will be a New Zealand Argentina final.
  • Options
    lots of new Zealand fans on the train to Bristol yesterday think they were some sort of travel group, were selling tickets 50 quid each,
  • Options

lots of new Zealand fans on the train to Bristol yesterday think they were some sort of travel group, were selling tickets 50 quid each,

I got the train back from Wales today and I'd say about 50% of the other passengers were Kiwi's coming back
  • Options
    I reckon Argentina will turn the Aussies over too. But as above the All Blacks are on a different planet on yesterday's evidence
  • Options
    Kiwi Aussie final ... Aussies to win
  • Options

Englishman walks into a pub fancying a quiet pint on his own. In the bar he finds a Welsh man, an Irishman and a Scot. "I thought you were all planning to be at the World Cup" he says, looking disappointed that he can't have a quiet pint on his own.

To be fair to the Scot, he had his ticket stolen by a South African and given to an Aussie.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had a cheeky tenner on the Argies to win at 14-1, fancy them to beat the Aussies and then anything can happen in a one off game!
  • Options

It shows the farce of England's group having Wales and Australia

Scotland get to the QF by beating Samoa and knackered Japan

Ireland win their group by edging a win over France, who were completely stuffed by NZ

If England and Wales had been separated, then England would have reached the QF, and Wales would have had one less draining game in the group stage.

Do you regret and retract your statement considering Scotland pushed the side that won the group of death to the very end?
  • Options

Why would New Zealand fans be selling tickets?
  • Options

It shows the farce of England's group having Wales and Australia

Scotland get to the QF by beating Samoa and knackered Japan

Ireland win their group by edging a win over France, who were completely stuffed by NZ

If England and Wales had been separated, then England would have reached the QF, and Wales would have had one less draining game in the group stage.

Do you regret and retract your statement considering Scotland pushed the side that won the group of death to the very end?
    Slightly! Maybe the Australians were tired out by having to qualify from the group of death as well :smile:

Bizarre performance from Australia, so many mistakes
  • Options
    SO Charlton v Brentford Saturday or South Africa v New Zealand decisions
  • Options
    New Zealand were just amazing against France - but it was France. The Boks will give them a very tough game and will attempt to smash them up front - the All Blacks will not have the space they had against France and I think it will be a tight game.

• Options
    I have previously always rated Joubert as one of the very best referees .. no longer though .. of course he made a total mess of the last and very vital decision .. why he did not refer to the replay referee we will never know .. to my mind if the ball had come off an Australian, the game should just have carried on as offside, either accidental or deliberate only occurs if the last touch came from a teammate .. I am so sorry for Scotland (loath as I am to type this), a once in every 20 years performance only to be robbed at the very end. For a country with only 2 top professional clubs, they have done superbly, although of course, as with the other northern hemisphere nations, Scotland has made liberal use of overseas imported players, as indeed have New Zealand and Australia

Unfortunate Ireland ? .. we will never know how the injuries affected the result of their game .. whatever, Argentina thanks to their participation in the southern hemisphere international tournament, are unrecognisable from the muddy, tough scrummagers unable to pass the ball, of a few years ago .. Like the footballers, it is all about clinical finishing and taking chances .... Aguerro, Tevez, Batistuta, Maradonna, Kempes, etc. etc. all experts at keeping cool and scoring .. the rugby players are now doing exactly the same
  • Options
    Sadly for me Lincs, I suspect that Ireland would have struggled even with the injured & suspended in the side. Torn apart in the first 10 minutes and the benefits of taking part in regular games against the big 3 Southern Hemisphere sides and the undoubted influence of Graham Henry were there to see for Argentina. They played great, flowing rugby and even looked like it was us that we're down to 14 and not themselves during that sin-bin.

As for Joubert...appalling. Not helped that you can't use TMO for what happened, but a decent ref, which I also thought he was, finds a way to deal with that. He could/should have used the time to question his touch judge and then taken in the replay on the big screen and given the right decision. Very tough on the Scots and no surprise he ran off down the tunnel...he'll need a head start back to Saffer!!!
  • Options
    Whatever the rights and wrongs of the decision, the moaning and attacks on the referee by former players after the game are all rather... football like.
  • Options

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the decision, the moaning and attacks on the referee by former players after the game are all rather... football like.

Rugby players always respect the referee, so that can't be true....

I thought the same about Scotland appealing so their banned players could play yesterday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

good post .. along with loadsa money, mass media exposure and fame and glory waiting round the corner, there always comes controversy and the 'in my day' punditry of ex players who never made a mistake during their entire careers .. and let's face it, despite all the camera coverage (but only at the top level), Rugby has always been a difficult game to referee and has historically depended on a degree of 'assistance' from the players. The way that the majority of the Australians shouted, nay screamed and waved their arms in the air after the 'last incident', did not help matters at all.
  • Options
    IA said:

I thought the same about Scotland appealing so their banned players could play yesterday.
    they could play because they won their appeal, if the appeal was yet to be heard they would have been unavailable (unlike football).
  • Options

IA said:

they could play because they won their appeal, if the appeal was yet to be heard they would have been unavailable (unlike football).
    Sorry, I misheard that.
  • Options

In a game of mistakes, did the ref make one at the end ?

Looked very harsh after seeing in slow motion.
    At best, it should of been a scrum to Aussies.

Fantastic effort by Scotland.

Foley kept his nerve at the end, after having a poor game by his high standards.

The game was won by the Aussies great line outs.

The Aussies have had 3 hard games against England, Wales and Scotland.
    Argentina have had an easier route to the semi final.The Aussies should still win but the Pumas have improved so much in the last 4 years.

World Rugby have just put out a statement, that the Referee made a mistake
    and it should have been a scrum for the Aussies. No Penalty.

• Options
    Bit of a dangerous precedent, that statement.
  • Options
    Feel for Joubert. Completely thrown under the bus by world rugby.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Feel for Joubert. Completely thrown under the bus by world rugby.

Well the bloke should have made the right decision then.
    Threw himself under the bus if anything.
    Refreshing honesty from the rugby hierarchy - wish other sports would follow suit.
  • Options
    He obviously didn't see the Aussie touch.

Mind you he didn't see the Scottish bloke barge into that same Aussie with his shoulder which should have been a penalty anyway
  • Options

Bit of a dangerous precedent, that statement.

Scotland had good fortune when they beat Samoa didn't they, I'm sure a dodgy decision went their way in that match which made all the difference