Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rugby World Cup 2015

Comments

• Options
    That was absolutely incredible

England's win against a very game Fiji looks a hell of a lot better in black and white now

• Options
    Probably my favourite neutral rugby game ever. They just would not give up.

I kept thinking they would tire and on numerous occasions thought RSA would now run away with it. Sporting drama at its finest.
  • Options
    a right turn up, NOBODY expected that other than the Japs .. fantastic backs and a pack bolstered with a couple of ex Antipodeans .. Banzai !! .. the next world cup in 4 years is in Japan .. get your money on them now !! ((:>)
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Can someone explain the scale of the upset, substituting in football teams for the rugby teams?
  • Options
    The high of The doubles win in 5 by the Murray's
    The low of CAFC,
    then the lift up of seeing the underdogs of Japan beat the Springboks.

This sporting life.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Can someone explain the scale of the upset, substituting in football teams for the rugby teams?

Japan haven't won a World Cup game since 1991.

South Africa have won 2 of the 7 tournaments that have been hosted. Their starting team had 851 caps between them.

In that respect and in football terms, it's probably the most experienced Brazilian/German team getting turned over 4-3 by an Asian minnow thanks to a last minute goal.
  • Options
    During the last world cup, Japan v USA was one of the most entertaining games .. two 'lightweights' playing open attacking, naïve (perhaps) rugby .. this time they are both massively improved, more professional and better coached .. they're in the same group and play the last game .. it would be terrific if perhaps qualification depended on the result .. the USA are no mugs .. there are no fitter and more committed squads in the tournament than these two
  • Options
    The best price i saw for Japan to win was 75/1 on Sky bet.

That was longer odds than when Iran played Argentina in the WC and when Reza nearly became Famous. Until Messi remembered he was the superstar in the last minute.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bet 365 had South Africa at 1-750 this morning which might give some perspective of Japan's achievement to those who do not normally follow Rugby Union.

Foinavon was 100-1 when he sensationally won the Grand National back in 1967 or whenever it was.
  • Options
    Ah Fair play to the Japanese. They must be good eggs.
  • Options

The best price i saw for Japan to win was 75/1 on Sky bet.

That was longer odds than when Iran played Argentina in the WC and when Reza nearly became Famous. Until Messi remembered he was the superstar in the last minute.

Funny you should say that.

I was at that game in Belo Horizonte and yesterday reminded me of it when watching on tv.
  • Options
    A World Cup football match would never have a team at 75/1 odds - football is much more prone to shock results as a low scoring sport (which makes the Japan result even more amazing).
  • Options
    A few thoughts on the England game! We played well in small patches but we're for large parts of the game poor... We managed to get the result and the bonus point but if we play like that against Wales or Aus we will take a pounding!

However if Fiji bring their game against Wales and play as we know they can then they could easily cause an upset..

Brown had an outstanding game. Not convinced by any of our front row other than Cole. T Youngs is a liability when it comes to the line out and so we have to play Parling to sort out the line out. However we saw that Launchbury is a far better all round second row than him and had a big impact when he came on.. We do miss Hartley.

Pretty impressed with most of the backs although Ben Youngs and Barritt didn't have great games.. Burgess did a lot to change my opinion of him when he came on.. still not entirely convinced about him..
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Is that Warrington Pete's dulcet tones I can hear on the mic at Brighton this lunchtime?
  • Options
    We watched the first two games yesterday in the Fan Zone at Deer Park in Richmond. There are two big outdoor screens with loads of room and another one under cover in a massive tented area. Food was reasonably priced (£4 for a bratwurst) and the beer was £4.50 for the dreaded John Smiths and £5 for lager and (very decent) Murphys. Not bad considering it's free to walk in. A really good atmosphere and set up generally (including live bands) and I'd recommend it if anyone's coming over to Twickenham for a later game and wants somewhere to watch the earlier matches. Another good place is Twickenham Brewery, where there they sell their beer at £3 a pint and there are a couple of food stalls.

I agree with the comments earlier in the thread about the Japan v South Africa game. Tremendous courage and belief on the part of the Japanese - people were going absolutely nuts at the final whistle. Just fantastic and I'll be surprised if there's a more dramatic game in this tournament.
  • Options

A few thoughts on the England game! We played well in small patches but we're for large parts of the game poor... We managed to get the result and the bonus point but if we play like that against Wales or Aus we will take a pounding!

However if Fiji bring their game against Wales and play as we know they can then they could easily cause an upset..

Brown had an outstanding game. Not convinced by any of our front row other than Cole. T Youngs is a liability when it comes to the line out and so we have to play Parling to sort out the line out. However we saw that Launchbury is a far better all round second row than him and had a big impact when he came on.. We do miss Hartley.

Pretty impressed with most of the backs although Ben Youngs and Barritt didn't have great games.. Burgess did a lot to change my opinion of him when he came on.. still not entirely convinced about him..

I disagree with you on one point only .. Cole .. the universal opinion seems to hold that he's the best tight head in the world, a wonderful player .. W T F !!!!! .. he is a serial conceder of penalties, when does he ever make more than a foot of ground with ball in hand ?, he's very good at huffing and puffing ... Is this just me being blinkered and biased ? (No it isn't) .. I could go on (please don't) .. Brookes should have replaced him a year ago and Vunipola and Webber are the best at 2 and1 .. I appreciate the replacements play a BIG part in the modern game .. BUT .. Lancaster .. Can you hear me ? ... BROOKES MUST START ... OK ((:>)
  • Options
    We have a lot of SA friends local to us and they have been very quiet today.
  • Options
    Blucher said:

We watched the first two games yesterday in the Fan Zone at Deer Park in Richmond. There are two big outdoor screens with loads of room and another one under cover in a massive tented area. Food was reasonably priced (£4 for a bratwurst) and the beer was £4.50 for the dreaded John Smiths and £5 for lager and (very decent) Murphys. Not bad considering it's free to walk in. A really good atmosphere and set up generally (including live bands) and I'd recommend it if anyone's coming over to Twickenham for a later game and wants somewhere to watch the earlier matches. Another good place is Twickenham Brewery, where there they sell their beer at £3 a pint and there are a couple of food stalls.

Those fan zones sound good - might try it out at some point. Child friendly for the day games I asssume ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Watching Urugauy being hammered by Wales but for a bunch of amateurs they are playing with great spirit, skill and attacking intent.
  • Options
    What have you got against Rugby League? :)
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Blucher said:

Those fan zones sound good - might try it out at some point. Child friendly for the day games I asssume ?
    Yes. You'll be fine.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Blucher said:

Yes, PL54 - lots of little kids and ankle biters running around having fun. There's plenty of room and a few funfair rides as well. If you go, it's worth bringing a blanket to sit on outside.
  • Options
    Last time I was at Twickers (2 weeks ago) they had set up a zone outside the stadium with bars and stuff. Since Twickenham town centre bars have been ordered by police to stop letting in customers after 10pm and that there is usually over an hour long queue at the train station I hope these bars are well staffed and stocked for after the England Wales game on Saturday. Regardless of the result I imagine there will be plenty of fans wanting to either celebrate or drown their sorrows.

Either way it's a bit of a disgrace, there's no logical reason behind this forced closure of bars except to help fill the coffers of Heineken and Guinness, whose fan bars selling beer at twice the RRP will get rich at the expense of local businesses.
  • Options
    Interesting if one of said bars took legal action against Plod. No contest?
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Interesting if one of said bars took legal action against Plod. No contest?

Problem is police are using powers given to them and I believe bars aren't being forced, it is just strongly advised that they close doors at 10pm. I imagine bars that stay open past 10pm open themselves up to noise complaints or if things kick off, their insurers may not cover them since they ignored the police's advice. I imagine the RFU would rather the police were protecting their sponsors' bars at the stadium rather than the business owners in the town.

EDIT I've looked into this more. Apparently some pubs stayed open after 10pm on Friday night and no problems were reported. The main problem was at Twickenham station where someone was pushed into the tracks in the chaos and caused trains to be delayed. The management of that station is usually pretty cack-handed so not really a surprise they were totally unprepared for the World Cup. Maybe this would not have happened if this was planned better and pubs /bars weren't being forced to report they could shut after 10? It's a shame because the atmosphere after a good match in Twickenham town is usually very good.
  • Options
    Good try for the Argies.
  • Options
    All Blacks look odd with them all wearing black boots, old skool.