Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rugby World Cup 2015

Comments

• Options
    Richie McCaw gets sin-binned.
  • Options
    And Argentina kick the resulting penalty for a 10-9 lead.
  • Options

Good try for the Argies.

best game so far ,, by far
  • Options
    NZ down to 13 men! Argentina all over them. Can they score another try before half time?
  • Options

A few thoughts on the England game! We played well in small patches but we're for large parts of the game poor... We managed to get the result and the bonus point but if we play like that against Wales or Aus we will take a pounding!

However if Fiji bring their game against Wales and play as we know they can then they could easily cause an upset..

Brown had an outstanding game. Not convinced by any of our front row other than Cole. T Youngs is a liability when it comes to the line out and so we have to play Parling to sort out the line out. However we saw that Launchbury is a far better all round second row than him and had a big impact when he came on.. We do miss Hartley.

Pretty impressed with most of the backs although Ben Youngs and Barritt didn't have great games.. Burgess did a lot to change my opinion of him when he came on.. still not entirely convinced about him..

I disagree with you on one point only .. Cole .. the universal opinion seems to hold that he's the best tight head in the world, a wonderful player .. W T F !!!!! .. he is a serial conceder of penalties, when does he ever make more than a foot of ground with ball in hand ?, he's very good at huffing and puffing ... Is this just me being blinkered and biased ? (No it isn't) .. I could go on (please don't) .. Brookes should have replaced him a year ago and Vunipola and Webber are the best at 2 and1 .. I appreciate the replacements play a BIG part in the modern game .. BUT .. Lancaster .. Can you hear me ? ... BROOKES MUST START ... OK ((:>)
    You raise some good points... I usually take more notice of our back row play and our backs. But I've always thought of coles as a solid and pretty good player not the best in the world but more than good enough.. I have never thought he's had a particularly bad game but I will watch him in more detail next time round...

One observation I do have it we always seem to be slow to get men to the breakdown and we under commit in terms of numbers in a ruck.. which resulted in us getting turned over 11 times by Fiji.. This isn't a new problem but we think we can secure ball with two men and often a centre stepping in against seven or eight forwards.. sure keeping men out can create overlaps but securing ball should be first priority!
  • Options
    NZ are just so relentless .. the Argies have given them a right good game but could lose here by 20+ points
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Just watched the highlights of Japans incredible win over SA, am I right that prior to the penalty that Japan chose to go for a try to win instead of kicking to draw there was possibly a try but the video technology couldn't determine if it was or wasn't ?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Just watched the highlights of Japans incredible won over SA, am I right that prior to the penalty that Japan chose to go for a try to win instead of kicking to draw there was possibly a try but the video technology couldn't determine if it was or wasn't ?

I think so.

There has to be some evidence of the try having occurred which is difficult if there are 10 blokes on the floor and the ball nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Just watched the highlights of Japans incredible win over SA, am I right that prior to the penalty that Japan chose to go for a try to win instead of kicking to draw there was possibly a try but the video technology couldn't determine if it was or wasn't ?

Indeed.

The ball could not be seen amongst all the bodies so the "try" had to be disallowed.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Interesting if one of said bars took legal action against Plod. No contest?

Problem is police are using powers given to them and I believe bars aren't being forced, it is just strongly advised that they close doors at 10pm. I imagine bars that stay open past 10pm open themselves up to noise complaints or if things kick off, their insurers may not cover them since they ignored the police's advice. I imagine the RFU would rather the police were protecting their sponsors' bars at the stadium rather than the business owners in the town.

EDIT I've looked into this more. Apparently some pubs stayed open after 10pm on Friday night and no problems were reported. The main problem was at Twickenham station where someone was pushed into the tracks in the chaos and caused trains to be delayed. The management of that station is usually pretty cack-handed so not really a surprise they were totally unprepared for the World Cup. Maybe this would not have happened if this was planned better and pubs /bars weren't being forced to report they could shut after 10? It's a shame because the atmosphere after a good match in Twickenham town is usually very good.
    It always surprises me that Twickenham can cope with 80000 spectators, considering how long it takes to exit the Wembley area, which has FAR better public transport.

I guess having games (usually) played in the afternoon helps, with fans all going for a drink in the vicinity afterwards, as opposed to football fans all wanting to get away as the area around Wembley Stadium is horrible, with grotty pubs!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:

se9addick said:

Indeed.

The ball could not be seen amongst all the bodies so the "try" had to be disallowed.
    Echo

It wasn't disallowed, it never happened
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Fiiish said:

Interesting if one of said bars took legal action against Plod. No contest?

Problem is police are using powers given to them and I believe bars aren't being forced, it is just strongly advised that they close doors at 10pm. I imagine bars that stay open past 10pm open themselves up to noise complaints or if things kick off, their insurers may not cover them since they ignored the police's advice. I imagine the RFU would rather the police were protecting their sponsors' bars at the stadium rather than the business owners in the town.

EDIT I've looked into this more. Apparently some pubs stayed open after 10pm on Friday night and no problems were reported. The main problem was at Twickenham station where someone was pushed into the tracks in the chaos and caused trains to be delayed. The management of that station is usually pretty cack-handed so not really a surprise they were totally unprepared for the World Cup. Maybe this would not have happened if this was planned better and pubs /bars weren't being forced to report they could shut after 10? It's a shame because the atmosphere after a good match in Twickenham town is usually very good.
    It always surprises me that Twickenham can cope with 80000 spectators, considering how long it takes to exit the Wembley area, which has FAR better public transport.

I guess having games (usually) played in the afternoon helps, with fans all going for a drink in the vicinity afterwards, as opposed to football fans all wanting to get away as the area around Wembley Stadium is horrible, with grotty pubs!
    There's nowhere for Wembley fans to disperse to - aside from the transport options.

The walk from Twickenham to Richmond. Whee would the same length of journey get you to from Wembley ?
  • Options
    PL54 said:

LenGlover said:

se9addick said:

Indeed.

Echo

It wasn't disallowed, it never happened
    There was a review to determine whether it should be allowed or disallowed given the activity in the vicinity of the try line which suggested the possibility of a try.

The result of the review was the rugby equivalent of the cricket maxim if in doubt not out.
  • Options

A World Cup football match would never have a team at 75/1 odds - football is much more prone to shock results as a low scoring sport (which makes the Japan result even more amazing).

There's logic in what you say but according to Graham Sharp the spokesman
    For William Hills the longest price ever for a football match was when the USA beat England 1-0 in the 1950 WC. I assume he meant the double of score and Result because he said this was 500-1.
    The USA team were made up of Shoe shine boys and car workers.

• Options
    Jonathan Joseph reportedly an injury doubt for Saturday.

Really hope that if he is out England don't pick Burgess and Barritt together and instead go for Barritt/Burgess with Slade.

Slade will allow us to keep the same attacking structure, whereas picking the other two together would put an incredible amount of pressure on Ford to be the only playmaker.
  • Options

Really hope that if he is out England don't pick Burgess and Barritt together and instead go for Barritt/Burgess with Slade.

Slade will allow us to keep the same attacking structure, whereas picking the other two together would put an incredible amount of pressure on Ford to be the only playmaker.

If Ford is selected .. I have a hunch that Farrell will be picked at s/off .. so far the biggest gainer from the tournament other than Japan, is NZ .. the Argentina game was tough and will have tuned the ABs up to perfection .. England's game was spoilt by over fussy refereeing and as for England's team ? .. the game threw up more selection questions than answers .. I appreciate that 'impact players' from the bench are important, but that really only applies when a side is in front .. a solid base is required especially in a high pressure/tension game as Saturday's will be .. my XV to start would be ...
    Brown .. May Watson ... Joseph (if unfit Slade) Barritt .. Farrell Youngs ... Vunipola Webber Brookes Lawes Launchberry Wood Vunipola (B) Robshaw ..

I have serious doubts over Ben Youngs, Barritt and the Vunipola brothers and a Slade (almost) debut in such a big game.. but they are the best of a not especially inspiring bunch and we are where we are .. I am just confident that a win over Wales will be the result
  • Options
    edited September 2015

If Ford is selected .. I have a hunch that Farrell will be picked at s/off .. so far the biggest gainer from the tournament other than Japan, is NZ .. the Argentina game was tough and will have tuned the ABs up to perfection .. England's game was spoilt by over fussy refereeing and as for England's team ? .. the game threw up more selection questions than answers .. I appreciate that 'impact players' from the bench are important, but that really only applies when a side is in front .. a solid base is required especially in a high pressure/tension game as Saturday's will be .. my XV to start would be ...
    Brown .. May Watson ... Joseph (if unfit Slade) Barritt .. Farrell Youngs ... Vunipola Webber Brookes Lawes Launchberry Wood Vunipola (B) Robshaw ..

I have serious doubts over Ben Youngs, Barritt and the Vunipola brothers and a Slade (almost) debut in such a big game.. but they are the best of a not especially inspiring bunch and we are where we are .. I am just confident that a win over Wales will be the result
    Not sure I agree with this.

Youngs and Barritt were both poor on Friday, but that doesn't suddenly make them bad players. They've both played in massive games before and have performed very well and I reckon that after a shaky start they will both go fine on Saturday. The Vunipola brothers both made a big impact from the bench and can't see why there are any question marks over either of them?

Slade obviously could be a slight worry with it being only his second England test, but I think he'll be fine. He impressed enough in training to be included in the squad, and every time I've seen him play, whether it was his England test debut, taking on Jonny Wilkinson back in 2013 for Exeter, taking a number of huge hits playing for England against the Baabaas or just playing in big games for Exeter he has looked unflappable.

Despite the scrum issues I definitely would not drop Dan Cole. Would potentially have Vunipola over Marler, but no way am I dropping Cole against the Welsh. We really need to destroy their scrum and he will be a massive part of that.

Edit. I'd also stick with Ford for now, but Farrell is certainly pressing hard. I actually think Farrell's game is better suited to the high pressure winner takes all games you get in a World Cup. You look at the Premiership final this year and how the two fly halves played and that sort of tells you which player may be suited for a world cup. Still, Ford has earned his right to start for now, but he needs a big game.
  • Options
    I got a streaming subscription to watch the World Cup but sadly missed both Japan's victory and Argentina - NZ. Looking forward to a couple of fun games today. I'd love it if the sport caught on a bit more over here too, but doubt it will.
  • Options
    Apparently England going for a Farrell, Burgess, Barritt midfield. Huge call.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    England going for defence, defence and more defence .. May and Watson better have their tackling heads on .. with two centres who can't pass and a s/o who will be mainly kicking the bejesus out of the ball, they won't be getting much attack action ..be interesting to see if any changes are made to the pack .. there should be at least three
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

England going for defence, defence and more defence .. May and Watson better have their tackling heads on .. with two centres who can't pass and a s/o who will be mainly kicking the bejesus out of the ball, they won't be getting much attack action ..be interesting to see if any changes are made to the pack .. there should be at least three

I can see why is selecting that midfield, I just don't understand why we have spent the last year learning and playing with a new attacking pattern only to ditch it as soon as a big game comes along.
  • Options

I can see why is selecting that midfield, I just don't understand why we have spent the last year learning and playing with a new attacking pattern only to ditch it as soon as a big game comes along.
    Couldn't agree more. I really like the look of Slade too, would have given him the chance.
  • Options

Read my previous posts if you dare ((:>) .. Lancaster and his crony coaches do not have much of a clue ... after four years they are still pretty much in the dark about which tactics to use, which team to play .. Farrell and Lancaster come from rugby league territory, the sooner they go back there the better and take Burgess with them (now he'll score a shedload of tries on Saturday .. )
  • Options

Read my previous posts if you dare ((:>) .. Lancaster and his crony coaches do not have much of a clue ... after four years they are still pretty much in the dark about which tactics to use, which team to play .. Farrell and Lancaster come from rugby league territory, the sooner they go back there the better and take Burgess with them (now he'll score a shedload of tries on Saturday .. )
    I'm not sure they are clueless, and it's clear this team has been picked to play to a very set game plan that will (hopefully) negate the game the Welsh like to play.

Would I have picked it? No
    Could it work? Most definitely

I'd have a bigger issue if the same back line then gets picked for the Aussies, who play a much more expansive game and we'd need that added speed and creativity to negate that.
  • Options
    I don't agree with the selections but I do understand the reasons. If he plays the same team against the Aussies then I would be more worried.

Unfortunately Lancasters default setting is to pick a team to stop the opposition, rather than making them worry about our attacking potential.
  • Options
    15 minutes gone of Scotland v Japan. Scotland with a couple of penalty scores but Japan have the first try.

6-7
  • Options
    Good game this so far, Japan a bit sloppier than Saturday but still so full of pace and energy.

• Options
    12-7 to Scotland at half time.

Fantastic tackle right on half time to stop Scotland scoring a try. Japan are right in the game.
  • Options

Fantastic tackle right on half time to stop Scotland scoring a try. Japan are right in the game.

Amazing tackle! I yelped.

• Options
    What a hit that was