Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Evans back at SUFC (agreed terms with Oldham p.25)

Comments

• Options

He has served his time in Prison and like anyone else should be allowed to return to work and earn a living.

yes. In a cardboard factory, or any other job that's not community focussed that he's qualified to do.
    I cant see that mate, because he is a footballer he should not be treated any different to a plumber etc.

exactly right. Don't put him, a convicted sex offender, in a position where he's working in a position that serves the community.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

What Sheffield United do is none of my business, but I would not want him playing for my club.

Allowing a sexual predator so close to our countries children is surely all of our business?
    While he may hardly be a role model or moral guardian, he is no danger to them.
    He's a sex offender, in my opinion that should prohibit him from working in such close contact with children.

What about other young player's that may follow in his footsteps? They will now be under his guidance.
    Should Tony Adams be banned from working from children and young players in case they all grow up to be drink drivers, and kill an innocent person on the road?
    Did Tony Adams set out to kill someone? Did he do everything he could to cover up his tracks? Did he show any remorse after the event?
    Edited

Wasn't it Evan who told the Police he'd had sex with the girl - she couldn't remember what happened. Hardly sounds like covering "up his tracks". The case hinged on whether she was competent to give consent.

Might not be a big deal to you, but if you're going to summarily condemn a man for the rest of his life at least get your facts right.

I always leave hotels via the fire escape, it's just how I like to do it.

I don't wish to condemn a man for the rest of his life, I wish to protect our children from a man who is still serving his punishment.
  • Options
    Is football still considered as a community thing? Personally I don't. They are professionals and as such are paid to do what they are told by the clubs, I'd imagine few players actually care about the community they play in and only do it when told to do so by their clubs.
  • Options
    Does he not have a tag and a curfew ?
  • Options

I still don't get why there is some sympathy for such a scum bag rapist. If I had my way he'd be locked up until he's too old to actually play professional football again.

I don't think anyone has sympathy for him
  • Options
    For me, this is the daftest thread that I have ever seen, close it.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

He has served his time in Prison and like anyone else should be allowed to return to work and earn a living.

yes. In a cardboard factory, or any other job that's not community focussed that he's qualified to do.
    I cant see that mate, because he is a footballer he should not be treated any different to a plumber etc.

exactly right. Don't put him, a convicted sex offender, in a position where he's working in a position that serves the community.

If as you said let him work in a factory, how does that differ? He would still be part of a community working with other people in the community. Part of the rehabilitation process is to allow offenders to earn a living and contribute to society again.

What he has been convicted of his a horrible horrible crime but i personally fail to see what good stopping him plying his trade would do.

• Options

Not sure what sort of message this sends out to female fans.

I know its not many but believe it or not I have actually seen Female Sheffield United fans on twitter, welcoming him back, I have no idea why they would do that
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Granpa said:

For me, this is the daftest thread that I have ever seen, close it.

Please elaborate.
  • Options

Not sure what sort of message this sends out to female fans.

I know its not many but believe it or not I have actually seen Female Sheffield United fans on twitter, welcoming him back, I have no idea why they would do that

Because unfortunately some daft bints just love a bad boy. Even a dirty nonce bad boy. Baffles me as to why though.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    For those saying he'll be coming into contact with and be a bad influence on young players, does this mean the hypothetical cardboard factory he's going to work at in your ideal world only employ people over the age of 25?

I'm very uneasy about his return to football and would rather there was solidarity amongst clubs to not employ him again but populist unfeasible Daily Mail-esque solutions don't really further the discussion.

• Options

If as you said let him work in a factory, how does that differ? He would still be part of a community working with other people in the community. Part of the rehabilitation process is to allow offenders to earn a living and contribute to society again.

What he has been convicted of his a horrible horrible crime but i personally fail to see what good stopping him plying his trade would do.

working in a factory he isn't expected to entertain members of the public on a saturday. He isn't expected to go to charity events and visit children in hospital with colleagues over christmas. Serving a community and working in a community are two very different things.
  • Options
    (and are also a bit offensive to anyone on here who works in a cardboard box factory)
  • Options

se9addick said:

What Sheffield United do is none of my business, but I would not want him playing for my club.

Allowing a sexual predator so close to our countries children is surely all of our business?
    He's a sex offender, in my opinion that should prohibit him from working in such close contact with children.

What about other young player's that may follow in his footsteps? They will now be under his guidance.
    Should Tony Adams be banned from working from children and young players in case they all grow up to be drink drivers, and kill an innocent person on the road?
    Did Tony Adams set out to kill someone? Did he do everything he could to cover up his tracks? Did he show any remorse after the event?
    Edited

Wasn't it Evan who told the Police he'd had sex with the girl - she couldn't remember what happened. Hardly sounds like covering "up his tracks". The case hinged on whether she was competent to give consent.

Might not be a big deal to you, but if you're going to summarily condemn a man for the rest of his life at least get your facts right.

I don't wish to condemn a man for the rest of his life, I wish to protect our children from a man who is still serving his punishment.
    What are you protecting them from ?
  • Options

(and are also a bit offensive to anyone on here who works in a cardboard box factory)

how? I'm not saying all people who work in a cardboard factory are rapists. It's a living and he has every right to make that living. Just not one that means he'll be in close contact with children and the vulnerable on a regular basis.
  • Options

For those saying he'll be coming into contact with and be a bad influence on young players, does this mean the hypothetical cardboard factory he's going to work at in your ideal world only employ people over the age of 25?

I'm very uneasy about his return to football and would rather there was solidarity amongst clubs to not employ him again but populist unfeasible Daily Mail-esque solutions don't really further the discussion.

I'm not sure young workers look up the their Co workers in a factory as they do in football.
  • Options

Might get flagged for saying this but oh well

I don't wish injury on anyone normally, but I really hope someone at Sheffield United breaks his legs in training.

You rascal.
  • Options
    It is a massive question that been raised here, and to answer it properly would require some of the best brains in the Country, and even then the result would be highly contentious. On here we have, no offence, a whole bunch of people including me ridiculously unqualified giving highly inflamed opinions for all sorts of reasons. I love the varied nature of the threads on here when people need help etc, lets stick to things where we can make a meaningful contribution.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Granpa said:

It is a massive question that been raised here, and to answer it properly would require some of the best brains in the Country, and even then the result would be highly contentious. On here we have, no offence, a whole bunch of people including me ridiculously unqualified giving highly inflamed opinions for all sorts of reasons. I love the varied nature of the threads on here when people need help etc, lets stick to things where we can make a meaningful contribution.

We are entitled to an opinion "unqualified" in your view or not and forums are a means of expressing different opinions.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Edited

a sex offender. Although I do believe there are shades of grey in everything in life, with sex offending there should be a zero tolerance policy.
  • Options

Not offensive to me, I work in a cardboard factory and make a packet
    very good
  • Options

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Edited

a sex offender. Although I do believe there are shades of grey in everything in life, with sex offending there should be a zero tolerance policy.
    Fair enough.
  • Options
    public opinion in Sheffield, including a 150,000 petition against his re-signing, will make sure that he does not play for the Blades again .. he may well play elsewhere after a cooling off/dust settling period
  • Options

working in a factory he isn't expected to entertain members of the public on a saturday. He isn't expected to go to charity events and visit children in hospital with colleagues over christmas. Serving a community and working in a community are two very different things.

I understand what you are saying mate just don't agree with the principle that as he is a footballer he should be treated different, Just my opinion and don't make it right.

• Options

I understand what you are saying mate just don't agree with the principle that as he is a footballer he should be treated different, Just my opinion and don't make it right.

i'm not saying he should be treated differently, quite the opposite. From what i recall sex offenders can't work in close proximity to children or the vulnerable. I believe that footballers regularly come into contact with both.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

i'm not saying he should be treated differently, quite the opposite. From what i recall sex offenders can't work in close proximity to children or the vulnerable. I believe that footballers regularly come into contact with both.
    Only if asked to do so by the club I would imagine. Surely any club that did take him on would maybe keep Ched away from the type of extra activities.

Would you be ok with him being a footballer if he had conditions like not attending such events?