Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Evans back at SUFC (agreed terms with Oldham p.25)

Comments

• Options

Luke McCormick - captain of Plymouth argyle has killed two children drink driving, and has done his time and is back playing, there's not been even nearly this much uproar.

What he's done is disgusting and if I had it my way rapists and peado's would get the death penalty, but I don't.

If he was a plumber/electrician or something he'd be able to walk straight back on site and work, so why can't he as a footballer? I get both sides of the argument as, as a footballer he'd be in the public eye etc. The fact of the matter is though, that you cannot deny someone the right to work and his profession is a footballer.

Although the point you make is valid and without being picky, he would never work again as a plumber after what he did. CRB checks mean he wouldn't be able to, going in to people's houses ...
  • Options
    For Jordan's cousins information I wish to add my name to the non-rapist list.
  • Options
    I no it was mentioned earlier but no story was posted

TV Presenter Charlie Webster has stepped down as Patron of Sheffield United
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30015701
  • Options
    Add her to the handful of people with an ounce of morality in football

And see how quickly football and Sheffield United forgets she existed
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    At the end of the day, I'm all for giving people second chance, but not for unremorseful rapists.
  • Options

For Jordan's cousins information I wish to add my name to the non-rapist list.

+1
  • Options

I should imagine nearly all right-minded people are uncomfortable, but that is neither here nor there.

He should be allowed to take any job he so chooses, that is permitted by law and is offered to him. So yes he should be allowed to play professional football.

I will of course give him unmerciful abuse if he ever plays against Charlton and I would be gutted if we ever signed him or his ilk.

Goodnight :-)

I agree with you 100%, however in my opinion the law should be changed.

Being on the SOR should prohibit him from playing pro sport.

As for the post from Jordan's cousin, that's probably the most offensive thing I've read on the internet.
  • Options

Hand on heart...how many of you can say that EVERY single man/woman/maloney that you have slept with/shagged/made love to/fucked has given you 100% clear confirmation that they approve of your advances?

Thought not.

Dont bother with work tomorrow in that case, because basically you are a nonce.

I can honestly hand on heart say everyone I have been with have consented fully yes

and for you to come up with something like that makes me a bit worried about you
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm Jordans Cousins post was ill-advised but I think the point he was trying to make was how many people have had a one night stand with someone they barely knew and could be 100% certain that the next morning the other person would not regret it or have second thoughts and deny having consented? As Ooaah observes, snogging ina club might be relevant but at the end of the day so what? If a woman kisses someone it does not mean she is willing to have penetrative sex and the idea that going to a room with someone equates to that, is false. It has never happened to me but I did know someone who found himself in that position once.

And I'm not saying that happened to Evans. A judge and jury who heard all the evidence found him guilty so he is a rapist. None of us on here had that "privilege" so opinions on what he/she did and why are not properly informed. By the same token, if he should be cleared on review he will never have been a rapist. That is hypothetical right now. The law says he is.
  • Options

I should imagine nearly all right-minded people are uncomfortable, but that is neither here nor there.

He should be allowed to take any job he so chooses, that is permitted by law and is offered to him. So yes he should be allowed to play professional football.

I will of course give him unmerciful abuse if he ever plays against Charlton and I would be gutted if we ever signed him or his ilk.

As for the post from Jordan's cousin, that's probably the most offensive thing I've read on the internet.
    Assuming the rules were changed, what other jobs would people not be allowed to return to? Or is it just professional sportspeople?
  • Options
    there's a difference between regret and implying that it wasn't consensual, ill advised or poorly worded it certainly is one of the most shocking things i have ever read on here
  • Options

So if he gets a job in the city and became a successful banker and made millions no one would have a problem .....
    or if he was just a clerk on a small salary that is ok
    where is the monetary cut off point

There is no monetary cut off.
    He would not get a regulated job in the City. Ever. It would be impossible.
    It's down to how a profession (or the Government) likes to see an image projected rather than the monetary worth of the job. Even the more odious city workers would draw the line at a convicted rapist.
    Where I worked, I would have been out with no prospect of a return as soon as the guilty verdict came in. All job applications for my erstwhile employer ask about pre-cons, whether for a job at the top or bottom. The names were then checked with the CRB (or DBS as it is now called). For my particular employer there was no such thing as a spent conviction. One strike and you were out - no second chances.
    Many roles, be it a postman or a Governor of the Bank of England would have exactly the same regime.
    It is of interest, is it not, that "Football Stewards, supervisors or managers of football stewards" feature as an occupation where an employer is entitled to ask for a DBS check but a footballer is not?
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

So if he gets a job in the city and became a successful banker and made millions no one would have a problem .....
    or if he was just a clerk on a small salary that is ok
    where is the monetary cut off point

It is of interest, is it not, that "Football Stewards, supervisors or managers of football stewards" feature as an occupation where an employer is entitled to ask for a DBS check but a footballer is not?

And as Blackpool FC prove neither is owning a football club
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Assuming the rules were changed, what other jobs would people not be allowed to return to? Or is it just professional sportspeople?
    Having never been to prison I don't know what jobs they do inside, but those jobs would be fine, for me prison is where rapists belong, for the rest of their days.

If we are going to let them out, to mix with society, we need to do as much as possible to ensure they have no role to play in the education and upbringing of our children, if that limits their choices of employment, tough.

Especially when there is no sign of remorse or guilt, if Ched can see no wrong with what he did, is there anything to suggest he won't do it again?
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

Having never been to prison I don't know what jobs they do inside, but those jobs would be fine, for me prison is where rapists belong, for the rest of their days.

If we are going to let them out, to mix with society, we need to do as much as possible to ensure they have no role to play in the education and upbringing of our children, if that limits their choices of employment, tough.

Especially when there is no sign of remorse or guilt, if Ched can see no wrong with what he did, is there anything to suggest he won't do it again?
    But in that case you could potentially make a case for banning all ex cons from every job. Children will see and come into contact with plenty of people across a wide variety of jobs, is that any different?

On the remorse thing, if I was in a position of being convicted of something I was adamant I did not do, I wouldn't show remorse, otherwise that's surely an admission of guilt?
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Well you can start with the longish list in the annex on this document:
    https://gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/349126/DBS_guide_to_eligibility_v6.pdf

But there would be many other occupations where it would just not be entertained. Particularly for offences where the convictions never become "spent".
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

But in that case you could potentially make a case for banning all ex cons from every job. Children will see and come into contact with plenty of people across a wide variety of jobs, is that any different?

On the remorse thing, if I was in a position of being convicted of something I was adamant I did not do, I wouldn't show remorse, otherwise that's surely an admission of guilt?
    If you believe all crimes are as abhorrent as rape, then yes, there would be.

Of course I understand why he won't show remorse, the fact he still thinks what he did that night was OK just proves he should still be inside.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think the club would think twice should Jessica Ennis decide she didn't want her name associated with the club.
  • Options

On a slightly different tangent, how is it that comedian Dapper Laughs makes a joke about rape and has his tour, tv show and whole comedy act cancelled (I'm not defending him).

Ched Evans actually rapes someone and is back playing football.

Just goes to show how little morals football has.

My argument exactly. Well said
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

colthe3rd said:

https://gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/349126/DBS_guide_to_eligibility_v6.pdf

But there would be many other occupations where it would just not be entertained. Particularly for offences where the convictions never become "spent".
    As I understand it you aren't banned from doing all of those jobs though, you just aren't exempt from the rehabilitation of offenders act.

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

If you believe all crimes are as abhorrent as rape, then yes, there would be.

Of course I understand why he won't show remorse, the fact he still thinks what he did that night was OK just proves he should still be inside.

In that case you may as well imprison him for life, I'm sure there are quite a lot of people who would be happy with this. Personally I wouldn't, one of the few things I admire in this country is the justice system, it isn't perfect no system is. But what a lot are suggesting we do with rapists and other crimes of social disgust is very similar to how the justice systems of some countries in the Arab world that I'm sure a vast majority of the same people criticise and say is disgusting.
  • Options
    Yes I would lock up sex cases for life, they have no place in society.
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29980279

It's worth noting that no players have spoken out against Evans, and that the request for him to start training again was made by the PFA. That does rather suggest that the football world has no problem with him returning...
  • Options

Yes I would lock up sex cases for life, they have no place in society.

Anyone convicted of any sex crime?
  • Options
    This is an interesting article in the Independent a few weeks back that's quite revealing about the man that Ched Evans is.

As for IJC's bizarre contribution to this thread, absolutely sex must always be consensual or it is rape. It's a very simple equation. People like to think that 'persuasion' or 'seduction' makes for grey areas but they don't. At the point at which you have sex if consent is in any way unclear then back off. This includes 'taking advantage' of drunk females, for the avoidance of doubt.

And it should be clear to anyone why Ched Evans was convicted. Whether MacDonald should have been too is entirely irrelevant. What Evans did was have sex with a girl who did not consent. End of.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

cafcfan said:

colthe3rd said:

As I understand it you aren't banned from doing all of those jobs though, you just aren't exempt from the rehabilitation of offenders act.

I think the list provides prospective employers with a list of occupations for which they are entitled to ask for a DBS check. I would guess that you can be pretty sure that if an employer goes to all the trouble of requesting such a check, (and jumping through the various bureaucratic hoops to do so), there's a pretty strong chance that anyone who comes back with a result won't get the job.
  • Options
    I think IJC is getting a bit of a hard time here - he's not implying that anyone here has deliberately raped anyone, or defended rapists, but he's suggesting that if anyone has ever had a one night stand with someone when completely shit faced, with them equally drunk, how can you be 100% sure that *when sober* they would have consented? That's an unsettling and sobering (pardon the pun) thought that anyone who's had drunk one night stands should contemplate.

(However - I think the details we know about the Evans case put his situation in a completely different category to the above, and it isn't really comparable. )