Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Evans back at SUFC (agreed terms with Oldham p.25)

Comments

• Options
    Great to see people making a stand

patrons stepping away, sponsors threatening to walk.

just hope Sheffield Utd see sense
  • Options

Great to see people making a stand

patrons stepping away, sponsors threatening to walk.

just hope Sheffield Utd see sense
    more likely to see, and re-act to, £ signs leaving than see sense
  • Options
    It sounds like the swell of anti Evans support will make the club's decision for them. It would be an odd move for any other club to then sign him.

Is there no other convicted rapist footballer precedent?
  • Options
    To be honest the reaction that is emerging was forseeable so you do wonder why they took the step of letting him train. Then again it is football where integrity comes a lot lower on the priority list than money. If Sheff U really believe The third of the four considerations listed in their public statement they should not back down! But I am guessing they will when the loss of what really matters in football (£££s) starts to bite.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Can see him going abroad to play.
  • Options

Can see him going aboard to play.

Qatar or Saudi would be good options. They have a similar disdain for females too.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Can see him going aboard to play.

Nah, he'd be all at sea. Mind you if he was dropped off on a desert island that would be ideal.
  • Options
    Looks like Sheffield Utd would like to resign him but are testing the water to see what the reaction is to him being back at the club. The reaction is not good so far, and it will be a surprise if Evans re signs. It is not helped that he appears not to show any signs of having learnt anything or showed any great remorse.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    vff said:

Looks like Sheffield Utd would like to resign him but are testing the water to see what the reaction is to him being back at the club. The reaction is not good so far, and it will be a surprise if Evans re signs. It is not helped that he appears not to show any signs of having learnt anything or showed any great remorse.

He won't though vff because he is still vehemently protesting his innocence.
  • Options
    He will be back playing with Sheff Utd in about 3 months, having a very rich possible future
    father in law. Will buy him the justice the likes of us can never afford.
    Scumbag taking advantage of a drunken young girl. His girlfriend must be desperate to take him back!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    vff said:

Maybe they should give all their season ticket holders a vote of yes or no.
  • Options
    Heard from a reliable source that Hills-Ennis is considering her position at the moment
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Heard from a reliable source that Hills-Ennis is considering her position at the moment

I've quite often considered Jessica Ennis (favourite) position
  • Options
    He cannot play abroad until his sentence expires - wouldn't be allowed out of the country.

More likely he will sign for L1 or L2 side once the dust settles, similar to Lee Hughes.
  • Options

He cannot play abroad until his sentence expires - wouldn't be allowed out of the country.

More likely he will sign for L1 or L2 side once the dust settles, similar to Lee Hughes.

L1 side, like Sheff U ?
  • Options

L1 side, like Sheff U ?
    Very good.

I always forget they are still down there!
  • Options

Would he be allowed to go back to Wales
  • Options

Are you being serious?
  • Options
    Carter said:

Are you being serious?
    Wasn't Wales where the incident happened?

There might be, or have been, some sort of restriction order.

I think that's what Paulie is saying anyway.
  • Options
    I think he was referring to the national side.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    But Wales is miles away from England!
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

vff said:

He won't though vff because he is still vehemently protesting his innocence.
    This. People keep talking about his lack of remorse, but the reason he has none is he's always protested his innocence. Showing any remorse would be like admitting he was in the wrong. The only thing he said he regrets is allowing himself to be in that sort of environment.
  • Options

To be honest the reaction that is emerging was forseeable so you do wonder why they took the step of letting him train. Then again it is football where integrity comes a lot lower on the priority list than money. If Sheff U really believe The third of the four considerations listed in their public statement they should not back down! But I am guessing they will when the loss of what really matters in football (£££s) starts to bite.

The PFA requested it.
    The PFA chief executive, Gordon Taylor, has been supportive of what he sees as Evans’ right to return to work after being punished within the law.

Sheffield United, whose manager, Nigel Clough, has said the decision would be made by the club’s board, said it agreed with the PFA’s view “to the effect that professional footballers should be treated as equals before the law, including in circumstances where they seek to return to work following periods of incarceration”.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

I should imagine nearly all right-minded people are uncomfortable, but that is neither here nor there.

He should be allowed to take any job he so chooses, that is permitted by law and is offered to him. So yes he should be allowed to play professional football.

I will of course give him unmerciful abuse if he ever plays against Charlton and I would be gutted if we ever signed him or his ilk.

Goodnight :-)

I agree with you 100%, however in my opinion the law should be changed.

Being on the SOR should prohibit him from playing pro sport.

As for the post from Jordan's cousin, that's probably the most offensive thing I've read on the internet.
    Assuming the rules were changed, what other jobs would people not be allowed to return to? Or is it just professional sportspeople?
    Having never been to prison I don't know what jobs they do inside, but those jobs would be fine, for me prison is where rapists belong, for the rest of their days.

If we are going to let them out, to mix with society, we need to do as much as possible to ensure they have no role to play in the education and upbringing of our children, if that limits their choices of employment, tough.

Especially when there is no sign of remorse or guilt, if Ched can see no wrong with what he did, is there anything to suggest he won't do it again?
    Just the possibility that he didn't do it in the first place. If he does get an appeal and is cleared will everyone on here and everywhere else be as quick to accept that he may be innocent? I doubt it.
  • Options

Wonder if Jessica Innis will be asking for her name to be removed from her Stand!!!

I doubt it. But it's possible that Jessica ENNIS might.
    Hill-Ennis actually..........
  • Options
    Riviera said:

colthe3rd said:

I should imagine nearly all right-minded people are uncomfortable, but that is neither here nor there.

He should be allowed to take any job he so chooses, that is permitted by law and is offered to him. So yes he should be allowed to play professional football.

I will of course give him unmerciful abuse if he ever plays against Charlton and I would be gutted if we ever signed him or his ilk.

Goodnight :-)

I agree with you 100%, however in my opinion the law should be changed.

Being on the SOR should prohibit him from playing pro sport.

As for the post from Jordan's cousin, that's probably the most offensive thing I've read on the internet.
    Assuming the rules were changed, what other jobs would people not be allowed to return to? Or is it just professional sportspeople?
    Having never been to prison I don't know what jobs they do inside, but those jobs would be fine, for me prison is where rapists belong, for the rest of their days.

If we are going to let them out, to mix with society, we need to do as much as possible to ensure they have no role to play in the education and upbringing of our children, if that limits their choices of employment, tough.

Especially when there is no sign of remorse or guilt, if Ched can see no wrong with what he did, is there anything to suggest he won't do it again?
    Just the possibility that he didn't do it in the first place. If he does get an appeal and is cleared will everyone on here and everywhere else be as quick to accept that he may be innocent? I doubt it.
    He has appealed, it was rejected. He's just got the cash for it to run and run for it to go to the highest court possible. I can keep claiming the same thing again and again, doesn't make it true.
  • Options
    OK, so the PFA is essentially a trade union for professional footballers and exists to advance the interests of its members, so naturally they would support the right to return to work after serving a sentence (even though he hasn't technically finished his sentence, but lets ignore semantics for now), even if they are ignoring the nature of the crime (a PFA spokesman would never say 'we support the right of rapists to return to their career after their jail time is complete').

However the PFA and its members may wish to consider the damage promoting the return of Evans to high-level football considering his conviction. Would anyone here be comfortable with their trade union expending time and resources to promote the re-employment of a rapist without any caveats (for example, the PFA haven't made any comment on Evans acknowledging his crime or making any kinds of amends)?

The one thing that hasn't been considered here is the deafening silence of the rest of the PFA's membership. I don't think a single footballer has either privately or publicly expressed their concern at the damage to the reputation of their profession that both Evans' and the PFA's actions could have and are having. I don't think being a bystander in this case is an option - wrongdoing takes place at the consent of the silent, as the saying goes.

If there was an opportunity for a group of professional footballers to form a group to combat this culture with football, it is now. If the PFA want to promote the right of rapists to return to work, they must also be shown to be seriously combatting the culture within football that makes players think this behaviour is acceptable and, more widely, to serve as role models to other men to combat this culture in society as a whole.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Mucking about with an air pistol and a wheel spin aren't crimes of the century