Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Evans back at SUFC (agreed terms with Oldham p.25)

Comments

• Options
    Why do Sheffield United appear to want Evans back. Why are the PFA pushing Evans case. Surely they have plenty of more deserving players on their books - many of them never having seen the inside of a prison cell.
  • Options

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

What Sheffield United do is none of my business, but I would not want him playing for my club.

Allowing a sexual predator so close to our countries children is surely all of our business?
    While he may hardly be a role model or moral guardian, he is no danger to them.
    He's a sex offender, in my opinion that should prohibit him from working in such close contact with children.

What about other young player's that may follow in his footsteps? They will now be under his guidance.
    Should Tony Adams be banned from working from children and young players in case they all grow up to be drink drivers, and kill an innocent person on the road?
    Did Tony Adams set out to kill someone? Did he do everything he could to cover up his tracks? Did he show any remorse after the event?
    Edited

Wasn't it Evan who told the Police he'd had sex with the girl - she couldn't remember what happened. Hardly sounds like covering "up his tracks". The case hinged on whether she was competent to give consent.

Might not be a big deal to you, but if you're going to summarily condemn a man for the rest of his life at least get your facts right.

I always leave hotels via the fire escape, it's just how I like to do it.

I don't wish to condemn a man for the rest of his life, I wish to protect our children from a man who is still serving his punishment.
    What are you protecting them from ?
    The influence of a sexual deviant. I don't think he should never work again, but just in a job where he comes into regular contact with the young and vulnerable and certainly not whilst he is yet to complete his punishment!
    Which children are you talking about ? Which children will he be close to ? The girl he raped wasn't a minor.
    I don't understand your argument at all.

The girl he raped was not a child but he is a convicted rapist, therefore I don't believe he should be allowed to work in any job where he comes into so much contact with minors, such as other young footballers and members of the community all footballers meet.

Think of the message it sends to other future pros, do what you want, if you're good enough all will be forgiven.

Being on the SOR prohibits him from various jobs, I believe this should be one of them.
    As a rapist, not a paedophile, surely it would make sense to keep him in a job away from women as opposed children?!
    Why not both? I wouldn't want a rapist having any involvement with my child's education!
    Neither would I. But then he is a footballer not a teacher.

ahh yes, footballers never work in the company of children

But he is not a danger to them. Why can't it be that he educates them?
    There isn't a sex offender's list A and a sex offender's list B

If you are a convicted sex offender then you are a danger to society.

He should still be in prison not enjoying a footballer"s lifestyle. If the appeal fails then surely Sheff Utd won't have him.
  • Options

If I was convicted of rape or even less serious crimes I'm pretty sure I would be disqualified from my accounting body membership and would find it nigh on impossible to work in my field again.

Why can't the same apply to footballers in their field? They are professionals are after all.

Also if I ended up serving a sentence for fighting at football I'd do my time but then come out and more thsn likely receive a banning order for x amount of years, stopping me watching football or travelling abroad when England play. Punishment beyond the custodial sentance.

But hey this was only rape I guess :-(

I guess the banning order is the equivalent of being on the Register
  • Options
    When we get them in the fa cup we can vent are anger then or ask bikey and co. to accidentally break his ffing legs. imagine the first player to hurt ched the rapist will be a hero
  • Options

If I was convicted of rape or even less serious crimes I'm pretty sure I would be disqualified from my accounting body membership and would find it nigh on impossible to work in my field again.

Why can't the same apply to footballers in their field? They are professionals are after all.

Also if I ended up serving a sentence for fighting at football I'd do my time but then come out and more thsn likely receive a banning order for x amount of years, stopping me watching football or travelling abroad when England play. Punishment beyond the custodial sentance.

Being an Accountant is a genuine, proper profession for which one must hold numerous qualifications and uphold rigorous professional standards in order to be able to hold public trust as you will be dealing with millions of pounds worth of assets that are not yours.

A footballer kicks a bag of air around and can be called a 'professional' on the basis of winning a contract from Alan Pardew.

Not quite the same standards are required from the former as from the latter.
  • Options

Being an Accountant is a genuine, proper profession for which one must hold numerous qualifications and uphold rigorous professional standards in order to be able to hold public trust as you will be dealing with millions of pounds worth of assets that are not yours.

A footballer kicks a bag of air around and can be called a 'professional' on the basis of winning a contract from Alan Pardew.

Not quite the same standards are required from the former as from the latter.
    I do realise that but they are members of their profession are they not? They have to be registered with that profession to play, so why can't they be disqualified from that profession for bringing into disrepute?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

How is a footballer any kind of community worker?

What absolute garbage.

Are Wayne Rooney or Diego Costa any kind of community workers? What crap.

If Ched Evans were a Lawn Bowls player going to play for 10K per year then nobody would care, its only because he is a footballer and going to earn 10K per week that they have the hump.

If Ched Evans is out of prison and free to pursue work opportunities then he may as well be playing football as anything else - if he can find a club that will take the risk on him.

Footballers are blokes who kick a ball around for a living, anyone who puts them on a pedestal for their children as any kind of role model should probably take a good, long look at themselves.

I would not want him at Charlton but all the talk of 'banning' him from resuming his career is ridiculous, its a decision for the clubs and they can wear the backlash if it comes.

This Absolutely!

He committed a crime and got caught, good. He got put in prison, good. He has served his time and is now out. Although he will be on the sex offenders register, his crime was against an adult there is no suggestion that he is, or ever has been, a menace to children.

As for being a role model one of my earliest footballing heroes was Lenny Glover. Despite his conviction and subsequent prison sentence for importing and distributing drugs I have never had the slightest urge to become a drug pusher.

• Options
    If its true he is training with Sheff U then it is not a big step forward for them to give him a contract. I wonder what their next attendance will be if they do and how many will send their season tickets straight back in anger. For Sheff U that will be the acid test of public opinion not a petition that may not have been signed by very many people who have ever been to Bramall Lane.

Let's say this happened with Igor. I wonder what the effect would be at The Valley. I don't reckon Charlton fans on mass would be as tolerant as our Sheffield cousins, but perhaps I'm kidding myself.

Oh and if he should be cleared on review (big if) does that make everything ok? Do people owe him an apology? I realise that is hypothetical but interested in views.
  • Options

I guess this is something the FA need to rule on if Ched or any footballer convicted of rape. It's down to the FA to introduce such a rule if they wanted to.
  • Options

What absolute garbage.

If Ched Evans were a Lawn Bowls player going to play for 10K per year then nobody would care, its only because he is a footballer and going to earn 10K per week that they have the hump.

If Ched Evans is out of prison and free to pursue work opportunities then he may as well be playing football as anything else - if he can find a club that will take the risk on him.

Footballers are blokes who kick a ball around for a living, anyone who puts them on a pedestal for their children as any kind of role model should probably take a good, long look at themselves.

I would not want him at Charlton but all the talk of 'banning' him from resuming his career is ridiculous, its a decision for the clubs and they can wear the backlash if it comes.

I suspect you underestimate the level of community work expected from professional footballers. Visits to kids' hospitals, that kind of thing. I believe they do an awful lot of community stuff that we don't see. That said, I don't think he's a danger at all, but I also think he blew his chance at pro football.
  • Options
    All rather predictable - let the dust settle and the heat die down then sneak him back into the fold.

Hope he's a complete flop
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

What absolute garbage.

I suspect you underestimate the level of community work expected from professional footballers. Visits to kids' hospitals, that kind of thing. I believe they do an awful lot of community stuff that we don't see. That said, I don't think he's a danger at all, but I also think he blew his chance at pro football.
    Fair enough - but pretty solvable isn't it? Just don't take him out on community work. In all honesty, Evans may be on the sex-offenders list but its a pretty long stretch to say he is a danger to children.

Bottom line is that people go to prison for all sorts of reasons, there are people on this forum who have admitted to having served at HM's pleasure - but they have all been re-integrated into society.

I personally would not employ someone with a conviction for a violent offence, but others might want to give them a second chance.
  • Options

That's quite a big assumption, I'm fairly certain my parents would have been mortified to find out any of my mentors had been convicted rapists when I was learning to play bowls.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

What absolute garbage.

Fair enough - but pretty solvable isn't it? Just don't take him out on community work. In all honesty, Evans may be on the sex-offenders list but its a pretty long stretch to say he is a danger to children.

Bottom line is that people go to prison for all sorts of reasons, there are people on this forum who have admitted to having served at HM's pleasure - but they have all been re-integrated into society.

I personally would not employ someone with a conviction for a violent offence, but others might want to give them a second chance.
    Sure, I don't have a problem with any convicted person getting back into the world. I just think football is a special case. There's a million jobs he can be 'rehabilitated into society' through. I'd like for him to do any one of those jobs he feels capable of!
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

What absolute garbage.

Sure, I don't have a problem with any convicted person getting back into the world. I just think football is a special case. There's a million jobs he can be 'rehabilitated into society' through. I'd like for him to do any one of those jobs he feels capable of!
    Why is it a special case ? How are you going to legislate for this so that it's consistent and not just a made up punishment that you've come up with for Ched Evans ? Under your new, hypothetical legislation, will being a cricketer or rugby player be off limits if you've committed particular offences ?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

What absolute garbage.

Why is it a special case ? How are you going to legislate for this so that it's consistent and not just a made up punishment that you've come up with for Ched Evans ? Under your new, hypothetical legislation, will being a cricketer or rugby player be off limits if you've committed particular offences ?
    Exactement.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Nonce scum hope the first tackle puts his leg into row z

Nonce?
  • Options

That's quite a big assumption, I'm fairly certain my parents would have been mortified to find out any of my mentors had been convicted rapists when I was learning to play bowls.
    Then what jobs are you OK with convicted rapists doing?

Why would it be OK for Evans to work as a warehouseman or a mechanic and not as a footballer?

Accepting the nature of your original comments, Evans is not mentoring anyone in football, he would simply be playing the game itself.
  • Options
    So if he gets a job in the city and became a successful banker and made millions no one would have a problem .....
    or if he was just a clerk on a small salary that is ok
    where is the monetary cut off point

• Options
    I really don't know why we are having the debate. We all know football is morally bankrupt and will continue to demonstrate this.

Off the top of my head I can think of the time mike Newell blew the whistle on the wrongness going on at Luton and football totally turned it's back on him. Yet do what Lee Hughes did, or Luke Chadwell, or Ched Evans, or Luis Suarez, or Eric Cantona or Marlon King (on multiple occasions) and football rehabilitates and reintegrates.

• Options
    se9addick said:

JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

What absolute garbage.

Like I said, 'I just think'. It's just a gut reaction that I'd rather convicted criminals should stay out of football. Drugs cheats get long term bans. Match fixers get lifelong bans. I'm not legally qualified to make any kind of claim on this, just sharing my feelings, but as a fan, I would rather football had the integrity to say that getting convicted for a serious crime ends your involvement with the sport. I'd find that refreshing.

If you want me to write this up as a legal paper, give me some time. I'll need 7 years legal training and an extra day after my bar exam to write this up for you. That cool?
  • Options
    Yep nonce, someone who.is a filthy sex case bstd like evans is a nonce

Rapist, peados none of them mix in normal jail society

Not on normal courtyard exercise

Nonce

Ched evans scum of the earth nonce
  • Options

Yep nonce, someone who.is a filthy sex case bstd like evans is a nonce

Rapist, peados none of them mix in normal jail society

Not on normal courtyard exercise

Nonce

Ched evans scum of the earth nonce

Not on normal CIRCULAR exercise. Pretty sure that's just for paedophiles, not rapists.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

se9addick said:

JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

What absolute garbage.

Like I said, 'I just think'. It's just a gut reaction that I'd rather convicted criminals should stay out of football. Drugs cheats get long term bans. Match fixers get lifelong bans. I'm not legally qualified to make any kind of claim on this, just sharing my feelings, but as a fan, I would rather football had the integrity to say that getting convicted for a serious crime ends your involvement with the sport. I'd find that refreshing.

If you want me to write this up as a legal paper, give me some time. I'll need 7 years legal training and an extra day after my bar exam to write this up for you. That cool?
    Absolutely, sounds like your thoughts could use the extra attention.
  • Options
    Quite why Sheffield Utd didn't sack him when he was convicted is beyond me, other than Strachan's explanation.

Evans is entirely unrepentant and incessantly entitled. If he'd even said, I've made my view of the night in question clear but have to accept that I'm guilty under the law and I regret that I left the victim feeling violated - well that would at least be a start. But no, the world still owes him a living.

As for his girlfriend, why the hell is she even standing by someone who's been very publicly unfaithful to her, regardless of the legal question? The world's gone mad.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    All sex cases are nonces in my own view not that it matters that much

But he deserves pain real horrible career ending pain