Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Evans back at SUFC (agreed terms with Oldham p.25)

Comments

• Options

He has served his time in Prison and like anyone else should be allowed to return to work and earn a living.

yes. In a cardboard factory, or any other job that's not community focussed that he's qualified to do.
    I cant see that mate, because he is a footballer he should not be treated any different to a plumber etc.

exactly right. Don't put him, a convicted sex offender, in a position where he's working in a position that serves the community.

If as you said let him work in a factory, how does that differ? He would still be part of a community working with other people in the community. Part of the rehabilitation process is to allow offenders to earn a living and contribute to society again.

What he has been convicted of his a horrible horrible crime but i personally fail to see what good stopping him plying his trade would do.

working in a factory he isn't expected to entertain members of the public on a saturday. He isn't expected to go to charity events and visit children in hospital with colleagues over christmas. Serving a community and working in a community are two very different things.

I understand what you are saying mate just don't agree with the principle that as he is a footballer he should be treated different, Just my opinion and don't make it right.

i'm not saying he should be treated differently, quite the opposite. From what i recall sex offenders can't work in close proximity to children or the vulnerable. I believe that footballers regularly come into contact with both.
    But visiting sick children in schools isn't his job, he's not a teacher or a social worker. His job is kicking a ball around with other young men. In many ways, taking emotion and morals out of it, the key question Clough has to decide on is, will the Sheffield United dressing room welcome Evans back or will they abhor him. I assume if the players felt strongly about it they would have told Clough already.
  • Options

He has served his time in Prison and like anyone else should be allowed to return to work and earn a living.

yes. In a cardboard factory, or any other job that's not community focussed that he's qualified to do.
    I cant see that mate, because he is a footballer he should not be treated any different to a plumber etc.

exactly right. Don't put him, a convicted sex offender, in a position where he's working in a position that serves the community.

If as you said let him work in a factory, how does that differ? He would still be part of a community working with other people in the community. Part of the rehabilitation process is to allow offenders to earn a living and contribute to society again.

What he has been convicted of his a horrible horrible crime but i personally fail to see what good stopping him plying his trade would do.

working in a factory he isn't expected to entertain members of the public on a saturday. He isn't expected to go to charity events and visit children in hospital with colleagues over christmas. Serving a community and working in a community are two very different things.

I understand what you are saying mate just don't agree with the principle that as he is a footballer he should be treated different, Just my opinion and don't make it right.

i'm not saying he should be treated differently, quite the opposite. From what i recall sex offenders can't work in close proximity to children or the vulnerable. I believe that footballers regularly come into contact with both.
    But visiting sick children in schools isn't his job, he's not a teacher or a social worker. His job is kicking a ball around with other young men. In many ways, taking emotion and morals out of it, the key question Clough has to decide on is, will the Sheffield United dressing room welcome Evans back or will they abhor him. I assume if the players felt strongly about it they would have told Clough already.
    The players would welcome him back with open arms and all forgiven, he's a decent footballer and one of 'the lads' .. it's the Sheffield public at large that is objecting very strongly to his return as a Blade .. as I wrote previously, he may well get a job with another club after a cooling off period
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Pay his benefits or let him play, both leave a bad taste in the mouth,

there are plenty of jobs in between those two options

• Options
    I wonder how the other Sheffield United players feel about having a convicted team mate in the team. Seeing as there are devided opinions of whether he should be a footballer again.
  • Options
    Maybe Evans was going to be the mystery triallist yesterday.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

My season ticket would have been returned before the ink dried
  • Options
    edited November 2014
  • Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

What Sheffield United do is none of my business, but I would not want him playing for my club.

Allowing a sexual predator so close to our countries children is surely all of our business?
    While he may hardly be a role model or moral guardian, he is no danger to them.
    He's a sex offender, in my opinion that should prohibit him from working in such close contact with children.

What about other young player's that may follow in his footsteps? They will now be under his guidance.
    Should Tony Adams be banned from working from children and young players in case they all grow up to be drink drivers, and kill an innocent person on the road?
    Did Tony Adams set out to kill someone? Did he do everything he could to cover up his tracks? Did he show any remorse after the event?
    Edited

Wasn't it Evan who told the Police he'd had sex with the girl - she couldn't remember what happened. Hardly sounds like covering "up his tracks". The case hinged on whether she was competent to give consent.

Might not be a big deal to you, but if you're going to summarily condemn a man for the rest of his life at least get your facts right.

I always leave hotels via the fire escape, it's just how I like to do it.

I don't wish to condemn a man for the rest of his life, I wish to protect our children from a man who is still serving his punishment.
    What are you protecting them from ?
    The influence of a sexual deviant. I don't think he should never work again, but just in a job where he comes into regular contact with the young and vulnerable and certainly not whilst he is yet to complete his punishment!
  • Options

iaitch said:

My season ticket would have been returned before the ink dried
    "Would have"?
    So you can use proper English then?
    Keep it up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

What Sheffield United do is none of my business, but I would not want him playing for my club.

Allowing a sexual predator so close to our countries children is surely all of our business?
    He's a sex offender, in my opinion that should prohibit him from working in such close contact with children.

What about other young player's that may follow in his footsteps? They will now be under his guidance.
    Should Tony Adams be banned from working from children and young players in case they all grow up to be drink drivers, and kill an innocent person on the road?
    Did Tony Adams set out to kill someone? Did he do everything he could to cover up his tracks? Did he show any remorse after the event?
    Edited

Wasn't it Evan who told the Police he'd had sex with the girl - she couldn't remember what happened. Hardly sounds like covering "up his tracks". The case hinged on whether she was competent to give consent.

Might not be a big deal to you, but if you're going to summarily condemn a man for the rest of his life at least get your facts right.

I don't wish to condemn a man for the rest of his life, I wish to protect our children from a man who is still serving his punishment.
    The influence of a sexual deviant. I don't think he should never work again, but just in a job where he comes into regular contact with the young and vulnerable and certainly not whilst he is yet to complete his punishment!
    Which children are you talking about ? Which children will he be close to ? The girl he raped wasn't a minor.
    I don't understand your argument at all.

• Options
    I wonder what will happen if his conviction gets overturned
  • Options
    Then loads of clubs will be clamouring for his services.
  • Options

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Edited

Which children are you talking about ? Which children will he be close to ? The girl he raped wasn't a minor.

The girl he raped was not a child but he is a convicted rapist, therefore I don't believe he should be allowed to work in any job where he comes into so much contact with minors, such as other young footballers and members of the community all footballers meet.

Think of the message it sends to other future pros, do what you want, if you're good enough all will be forgiven.

Being on the SOR prohibits him from various jobs, I believe this should be one of them.
  • Options
    owners have fit and proper tests, so should footballers imo.
  • Options

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Edited

The girl he raped was not a child but he is a convicted rapist, therefore I don't believe he should be allowed to work in any job where he comes into so much contact with minors, such as other young footballers and members of the community all footballers meet.

Think of the message it sends to other future pros, do what you want, if you're good enough all will be forgiven.

Being on the SOR prohibits him from various jobs, I believe this should be one of them.
    As a rapist, not a paedophile, surely it would make sense to keep him in a job away from women as opposed children?!
  • Options

owners have fit and proper tests, so should footballers imo.

and the tests for owners are REALLY effective ... N O T
  • Options

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Edited

As a rapist, not a paedophile, surely it would make sense to keep him in a job away from women as opposed children?!
    Why not both? I wouldn't want a rapist having any involvement with my child's education!
  • Options

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Edited

Why not both? I wouldn't want a rapist having any involvement with my child's education!
    Neither would I. But then he is a footballer not a teacher.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Edited

ahh yes, footballers never work in the company of children
  • Options

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Edited

What about when they visit school's, they aint gonna leave him behind at the training ground
  • Options

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Edited

ahh yes, footballers never work in the company of children

But he is not a danger to them. Why can't it be that he educates them?
  • Options

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Edited

What about when they visit school's, they aint gonna leave him behind at the training ground
    Of course they can if that is the difference. I am sure that, as a grown up, he will not mind being 'left behind'
  • Options

Rape is rape regardless, but do all rapists pose the same risk to society?

Does an opportunist rapist, who takes advantage of a woman having sex with his mates in a hotel room but unable to give consent through intoxication, pose the same risk as a rapist lurking behind a bush in wait for any female walking home alone in the dark. The sentence of the Courts suggests not.

I will never have any dealings with Evans so he will have no affect on my life, and I don't have a strong view on whether he should be able to play or not, it is up to Evans, the Club and the fans to decide. In my view the sexualisation of children by the media and entertainment industry has far more serious consequences for children's well-being than Ched Evans kicking a football around.

If Evans wins an appeal people can retain the same moral judgement on whether he should be able to play, but he will be free to work where he wants, even though the facts remain exactly as described, with possibly only the Court's view on what is judged to have been in Evan's mind changing. People should make a distinction between deliberate acts that harm individuals and deliberate influences that harm society, they are not the same thing.

• Options

Rape is rape regardless, but do all rapists pose the same risk to society?

Does an opportunist rapist, who takes advantage of a woman having sex with his mates in a hotel room but unable to give consent through intoxication, pose the same risk as a rapist lurking behind a bush in wait for any female walking home alone in the dark. The sentence of the Courts suggests not.

I will never have any dealings with Evans so he will have no affect on my life, and I don't have a strong view on whether he should be able to play or not, it is up to Evans, the Club and the fans to decide. In my view the sexualisation of children by the media and entertainment industry has far more serious consequences for children's well-being than Ched Evans kicking a football around.

If Evans wins an appeal people can retain the same moral judgement on whether he should be able to play, but he will be free to work where he wants, even though the facts remain exactly as described, with possibly only the Court's view on what is judged to have been in Evan's mind changing. People should make a distinction between deliberate acts that harm individuals and deliberate influences that harm society, they are not the same thing.

Perfectly sums up my exact views on this. No need for any more debate or comment. Let's just close this thread now & get on with our lives!
  • Options
    I've a feeling of deja vu here. Haven't we been down this path already, and recently?

I suppose some people just like to rehash the drama.
  • Options
    There is an argument that 'regardless of your own opinion, he was found guilty and is therefore a convicted rapist'. I wonder if the same people will have the same opinion if he wins an appeal.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

No he hasn't. He's served half his sentence and is out on licence. If he does something stupid like ending up in a brawl in a nightclub, he could end up having to serve the rest of his sentence.