Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sri Lanka v England ODI Series

Comments

• Options
    Not a lot to report 59-2 off 14.

Taylor is a strange one. At times he plays some free flowing shots that make it look very easy. At other times, particularly when the bottom hand takes over, he can look positively ugly!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Root is "triggered" by Umpire Davies but, equally as quickly, Taylor reviews. And because he hit it, Taylor is, upon review, given not out.

76-2 off 18.3

Taylor 35(60) & Root 19 (30)
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    102-2 off 21.2

Taylor 50(69) & Root 30(37) starting to open their shoulders now.

And talking of shoulders, Taylor will have Morgan looking over his after this performance. Though one can't help thinking that the selectors will take the easy option and drop Hales.
  • Options
    At the half way stage we are 122-2 and a partnership of 92 off 106 balls between Taylor 64(83) and Root 36 (46).
  • Options
    Root is defeated in the flight and plays a nothing shot. Bowled for 36.

122-3
  • Options
    Interesting that Bopara comes in before Morgan. Perhaps the stand in captain is hoping not to have to bat?
  • Options
    140-3 off 30
  • Options
    Talor caught in the covers for 90 (109) as bat twists in his hands as he hits it.

170-4 off 34.4

• Options
    Bopara follows straight after Taylor with another not very clever shot albeit off a ball that kept low.

173-5 35.3
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    200-5 off 42. Big final 8 overs.

Buttler 14(20) & Morgan 13(22)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Buttler out for 16 (22), caught at long on.

203-6 off 42.3
  • Options
    Stokes is caught at deep mid wicket for 6(6).

219-7 with 5 overs to go.
  • Options
    237-7 with 3 overs to go.

Morgan 36(37) & Woakes 6(7)
  • Options
    Woakes plays an absolutely awful "moo" and is bowled.

238-8 off 47.3
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Jordan adds to England's misery with a chip to backward point - out for 2.

England 245-9 with 11 balls still to go. Can Finn give Morgan the strike?
  • Options
    Morgan finishes with a flurry with 6 6 . 4 2 W off the final over (Dilshan) for 62 (46), thus rather confirming that Hales will be dropped to allow Cook to come back in.

So England, despite on paper having a strong batting line up, collapse from 170-3 to 265 all out. And are probably about 30 runs short imho.
  • Options
    To whoever said why is Morgan in the side - thats your answer. Caption also showed his average as 81 when he captains the team.
    Again, how the hell is Woakes anywhere near the team? His batting is worse than mine ! and his bowling is just a dobber too.Still, when Jimmy and Broady come back, he'll be out.
    Young looking side out there today.
  • Options
    Right I'm afraid that's all from me for today as I have to take my son shortly for a two hour 1-2-1 session.

That reminds me. I must stop mentioning the word "shortly" as he is a bit conscious of his height. Never stopped Lara, Tendulkar or dare I say Taylor did it?

• Options
    Must admit, after initially being very sceptical, England have found a real player in Moeen Ali
  • Options
    Business as usual......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

To whoever said why is Morgan in the side - thats your answer. Caption also showed his average as 81 when he captains the team.

Once in a Blue Moon is no good. Forget silly stats like when he's captain. Look at his record over the last two years, it's appalling.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Riviera said:

Once in a Blue Moon is no good. Forget silly stats like when he's captain. Look at his record over the last two years, it's appalling.
    Maybe you might want to look at it as a 'silly stat' - maybe you tell Angelo Mathews that, and also Michael Clarke for Oz .! - for some people it works- its not as if its over a few games - this is double figures.
    TBH he's gonna be a match-winner more than Cook is !

• Options
    The fact is we don't need him at all. Captain or otherwise, he is of the old guard with Cook, Bell, Broad, Anderson etc. None of those should still be playing ODI's.
  • Options
    Regularly giving away too many extras. We need to score another 20 or 30 just to make up for the extras we keep giving away.
  • Options
    This is what my 50 over England side would look like. Hales, Roy, Taylor, Moeen Ali, Morgan (C),Bopara, Butler, Rashid, Broad, Finn, Brooks.

What we are likely to get are: Cook, Moeen Ali, Taylor, Root, Morgan, Bopara, Butler,
    Broad, Woakes, Finn, Anderson.
  • Options
    Mine would be Hales, Ali, Taylor, Root, Morgan (C), Bopara, Buttler, Stokes, Broad, Tredwell, Finn.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Riviera said:

The fact is we don't need him at all. Captain or otherwise, he is of the old guard with Cook, Bell, Broad, Anderson etc. None of those should still be playing ODI's.

So, you'd prefer Woakes and Jordan to Broad and Anderson ??! - you're mad.
  • Options
    Stokes has been awful on this tour, can't bowl, can't bat.
  • Options

Mine would be Hales, Ali, Taylor, Root, Morgan (C), Bopara, Buttler, Stokes, Broad, Tredwell, Finn.

Same but Woakes in for Stokes until Stokes finds form.
  • Options
    My team would be (in World Cup)...
    Ali,Hales,Trott (not sure he's been picked),Taylor,Root,Morgs,Bopara,Buttler,Tredwell,Broad, Jimmy. Might be a bowler short, so would chose Fletcher as a left field choice.Although might ditch Tredwell as we dont need 3 spinners in Oz.