Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

**Neil Etheridge on loan (ed. Signed on Contract to End of Season)**

Comments

• Options

Would like to see him against Blackburn

What are you basing that on? How many times have you seen him play?

The old 'players that are not in the team must be better than those that are' theory.
  • Options

WSS said:

So after Peeters built Pope up publically a week or so ago, you want him dropped at the first poor game?

That would be great management.

but if he costs us points again next week, is that good management, if any other player cost a team points fans would want him dropped, but goalkeepers get special treatment why?

his confidence will be really down after 2 big mistakes today, that could effect him next week
    So, every match that a striker doesn't score, he should automatically be dropped...
  • Options

It's a shame that he couldn't put in a performance like he did last weekend at Forest. He looks assured, commanding and a good Championship keeper. Today was a nightmare.

If Pope had been a loanee at Forest, everyone would be calling for him to be signed up. He's not had a long enough run to see whether he's average, poor or great. Some of our forwards ??? have been average at best this season yet still get a game each week. I have a feeling Pope will be number one here at some point, but maybe not for a while. It's a long time since we had a settled keeper like Boulder & Johns that were stalwarts of the team and developed fans favourite status. Hamer was a favourite, no doubting that, but he didn't stay for long enough.
  • Options
    Can see both sides of the argument and I would prefer to persist with Pope.

Not sure some of us would be quite so charitable if Thuram had made the same mistakes though.
  • Options
    Gawd Etheridge conceded three times against Southend the other day... He'd be stoned not crucified (like Pope) on here if that happened next Saturday
  • Options
    felt that he was let down by the defence for the second goal. Would keep him in for Blackburn, but if he makes errors then Bob needs to consider protecting him.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Kap10 said:

felt that he was let down by the defence for the second goal. Would keep him in for Blackburn, but if he makes errors then Bob needs to consider protecting him.

Tend to agree with this, personally I think the lad is still in credit. The defence seemed to be holding a line for the free kick the winning goal came from which is all very well but a bit too shallow to do that for my liking. As a consequence their forwards were allowed to attack the ball unchallenged.

TBH has to shoulder some of the responsibility for that and it is not the first time we have been caught out from a set piece late in the game this season. Don't get me wrong, TBH is one of the best ball playing CBs I have seen over the last 55 years but there is a little question mark hanging over him and his organisation of the defence as the senior man at the back.

Back to the thread Pope plays at Blackburn.
  • Options
    I still feel the CB's should have got the defence sorted on that free kick.
    The ball was played in from a central position which should make it easier for the defence to deal with.
    just like at Brighton there was more than one guilty party.
    Like Red Chaser i would play Pope But only if Ben Roberts thinks he's ok.
    he got the call right last time after the udders match when he said Play Henderson, even thou Pope had had a good 2nd half in that game.
    Neil Etheridge seems to have been a 2nd or 3rd goalkeeper at some of his clubs.
  • Options
    #lovetoseepauliegetcaned
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2014

Would like to see him against Blackburn

Who is laughing now, great performance from him today, came out very well for crosses and a couple of decent saves

want his loan extended, if Henderson does now need surgery he could be out for a while longer and Etheridge is a good replacement
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

You're such an irritating twazzark.

One game does not make or break a player!

Never said it did, my point was everyone was laughing at me for suggesting he should start ahead of Nick Pope, I think he proved today he shoud be
  • Options
    We should be getting him in permanently though considering his contract at Oldham expires in just a few days!
  • Options
    Agree with Charltonbyblood

Dazzler, you constantly try to belittle Paulie but it's you that's looking silly.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Aaaannnyyywaaaayyyy... getting back on topic, sounds like the loanee played well today. Had a quiet second half but Finchy and Tel indicated he made a few good claims/punches on crosses and was playing the sweeper-keeper role nicely. Would those who were there agree?

I hope, and suspect, Popey will still make it with us but it seems like Bob made the right call pulling him out of the firing line today.
  • Options
    Paulie CAN be annoying, but got it right this time, so fair play. Also credit to Bob and to Etheridge, people said maybe Pope should keep his place and improve but the right call to replace him (on the evidence of one game admittedly). Distribution a definite improvement and caught the catchable crosses and punched the rest, no chance with the goal.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Aaaannnyyywaaaayyyy... getting back on topic, sounds like the loanee played well today. Had a quiet second half but Finchy and Tel indicated he made a few good claims/punches on crosses and was playing the sweeper-keeper role nicely. Would those who were there agree?

I hope, and suspect, Popey will still make it with us but it seems like Bib made the right call pulling him out of the firing line today.

Absolutely. I'm a fan of Pope, he's a fine shot stopper but Etheridge was everything a centre back would want from their goalkeeper today.

Yet to see him forced into making a good save however.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I hope, and suspect, Popey will still make it with us but it seems like Bib made the right call pulling him out of the firing line today.

Absolutely. I'm a fan of Pope, he's a fine shot stopper but Etheridge was everything a centre back would want from their goalkeeper today.

Yet to see him forced into making a good save however.
    There was one stand out in the first half, I know Jones was offside but Etheridge was not aware and came out very well
  • Options
    I did feel aa though Neil could have done better for the goal and made a bit of a mess once when throwing to Bikey.

As the game continued I turned round and said that my criticism for the goal was unfair and that in terms of coming for the ball he was very impressive (Does need to get a bit more distance with his punches though)
  • Options
    Eh? What exactly could he have done better with the goal? Long throw, no-one challenges the flick on and Adeyemi it totally unmarked to put the ball in.

I don't for one minute think he is anything but an average Joe, but one thing he does have over Pope is some physical prescence. Pope could do with filling out.
  • Options
    Well I thought he could have made an effort with a dive instead he just seemed to stand there.

As I also put in my post I felt that my anger towards him was frustration at the time that we'd conceded and I did turn round after and say that I'd made too quick a judgement on him shortly after
  • Options
    It was a well placed free header from six yards out. Etheridge was already going the wrong way with the flick on. Trust me, most keepers would've been rooted to the spot for that one.
  • Options
    Fair enough I hold my hands up to that one then
  • Options
    On today's evidence he'd be a better. reserve to Hendo than Pope. Good distribution and handling. Not going to judge him on one game though. Tough gig for the lad today. He did well.
  • Options
    For the most part I though his distribution today was good, nice to see someone get it up the field quickly. Led to a couple of breakaways. The defence seemed to have much more confidence in his ability to deal with a back pass than with Pope. Looked confident coming for the ball, and I am more than happy for him to stay in goal for a while
  • Options
    I'm not usually one to go on about Twatter, likes, followers etc but does anyone have any idea how he has nearly a quarter of a million followers?! CAFC just retwteeted him and I had to double take. Is it like a Bartlett/Reza situation?
  • Options
    He's in the English 2nd Tier and is from the Philippines... think he's their second biggest Sports Star behind Manny Pacquiao