Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Boys of Summer 2015 Baseball season

I know it's a bit early to start the new season thread, but winter trading is setting up some interesting looking teams for 2015.

The Cubs could be the really big story this year. They have just landed Jon Lester as the new headline to their starting rotation and with Epstein building steadily from the bottom up for the last few years, this might be the season they start making waves, especially as they've signed up Joe Maddon to lead them.
Also, never forget that in Back to the Future Part 2, the Cubbies clean up in the 2015 World Series. Place your bets now please...

The Red Sox missed out on Lester, but they've already landed a couple of big names by getting Panda and Ramirez to sign up. They'll surely add an alternative big name pitcher to fill the Lester shaped hole (Lefty Hamels or Righty Scherzer maybe?) and are looking to go worst to first to worst to first.... Possibly into eternity.

Reigning champions the Giants, moneybags LA Dodgers, ever reliable Cardinals and those Damn Yankees are always likely to figure in some way or another. But then again, there's another 24 teams out there and one of them may well win it all this year.

So who's your money on?

Comments

• Options
    Happy with Boston's work so far.

Think it's also worth giving a nod to the Jays, they seem to be assembling a very decent roster. It seems to be said at the beginning of every season but the AL East is looking very strong.
  • Options

Also, never forget that in Back to the Future Part 2, the Cubbies clean up in the 2015 World Series. Place your bets now please...

And if they beat the Marlins in the World Series, then I really will eat my hat!
  • Options

And if they beat the Marlins in the World Series, then I really will eat my hat!
    Lol. True. Especially as they're both NL sides... :-)
  • Options
    The Sox need starting pitching or they will end up losing 10-9 every week. If it's not the Sox then would love to see the Cubs win in what would be one of the all time US sporting stories.

We need Hamels and Shields at least in my opinion along with maybe a mod rotation man like Masterson or Porcello. As Kelly (who I do like) and Buchholz are only really back of the rotation men.

Offensively we look lethal as balls will b flying out of Fenway left right and centre. But we don't want to be giving away as many as we score.
  • Options
    Love the Giants cos I went to see them play when I was in San Francisco a few years ago... Equally love the Cubs though after their endless poor run (and because one of my favourite young films is Rookie of the Year)
  • Options
    Let me save anyone the trouble. The Cubs have an incredible youth system, but they can get any player in they want and they will still be mediocre. It's just how the cubs are. God knows when they'll finally get to the WS again.
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:

Let me save anyone the trouble. The Cubs have an incredible youth system, but they can get any player in they want and they will still be mediocre. It's just how the cubs are. God knows when they'll finally get to the WS again.

Well, maybe you're right Rossman. But then again, maybe not.
    There's a real feeling across the pond that they're on the verge of something. In Epstein, they've got a proven boss pulling the strings at the top and they've given him time to build. They've made some statements of intent this year while everyone knows they have the best youth and some of them are starting to come of age.
    Yes, there's a feeling that, if anyone can screw it up, the Cubs can, but I think we may see a period (maybe not a dynasty though, lol) of success, starting this year or next.

I hope so. Im a Red Sox fan, but I'm fond of the Cubs. Definitely my second team.
  • Options
    I think that every year. Being a Brewer fan I'm usually not one to say anything positive about the cubs but last year I genuinely thought it would be their year. I need to see them get close to a 500 winning percentage before I get overly positive again. I will say they are on the right track
  • Options
    It's a bit early yet. Teams are still trading.
  • Options
    Rob said:

It's a bit early yet. Teams are still trading.

True enough Rob, but I did acknowledge that in the OP.
    The thing is, the Lester deal is the real headline so far this year and is a big statement. Just thought it's an interesting early development, that's all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2015
    So how do we feel now?

Bookies favourites are Nats (13/2), Dodgers (17/2), Redsox and Cubs (both 10/1) with the Angels, Cards(both 12/1) and Padres (14/1) just behind.

Last season's champs the Giants are on 16/1 with 3 others, Mets and Yanks are both 28/1, last season's runners-up (Royals)are out at 33/1 while the Phillies and Rockies are the outsiders on 150/1

There's plenty more to choose from too.
    I have an inkling it's the Dodgers' year.
    How about you?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    The Nats pitching is beyond loaded but it almost seems too good to be true. I think we (the Sox) could quite possibly complete a worst to first to worst to first pattern as we are stacked with offensive talent but I wonder about our lack of an ace (assuming we don't snap up Hamels or one of the Nats 4 aces).

If the Sox don't do it, I would love to see the Cubs for the romance of it all but I am fully expecting them to under deliver with a .500 season and to hear the claims of work in progress AGAIN.

• Options

If the Sox don't do it, I would love to see the Cubs for the romance of it all but I am fully expecting them to under deliver with a .500 season and to hear the claims of work in progress AGAIN.

Looking forward to a few on here picking up on this comment.

I like to think the Bo Sox have a chance but just feel the pitching isn't strong enough to be considered true contenders. Should be an exciting year in the AL East though.
  • Options
    Diamondbacks are going to wallow in the dry Arizonan muck of mediocrity again this season
  • Options

The Nats pitching is beyond loaded but it almost seems too good to be true. I think we (the Sox) could quite possibly complete a worst to first to worst to first pattern as we are stacked with offensive talent but I wonder about our lack of an ace (assuming we don't snap up Hamels or one of the Nats 4 aces).

I'd love to see the Sox do it again too, but like you, our failure to land a true ace bothers me.
    I'd also like to see the Cubs do it, although they do always seem to find a way to fail. However, this year does feel a bit different. I'd still be surprised if they won the lot this year, but I'd be equally, if not more, surprised if they were under 500. I envisage a season where they fall slightly short of the playoffs. Probably, knowing the Cubs, because of some weird freaky incident in the all important final game of the regular season. :wink:

But then again, what the hell do I know? :smile:
  • Options
    Orioles wont fizzle like they did last year......World Series for sure this season.
  • Options
    not been keeping a close eye on baseball over the winter.

Cards to win the Central again though.
  • Options
    We only win it on even years, so anyone but the Evil Dodgers or the Yankees will do.

• Options
    Let's Go Blue Jays! Let's get a first play off birth since our back to back championships.
  • Options
    Lets bump this above the 2014 thread.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2015

Not if the Brewers have anything to say about it.......

Who am I kidding? Il be shocked if we aren't shite
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:

Lol. To be fair @Rossman92 the only hope the Brewers have is if all four of the other NL Central teams have a fucking mare. Good luck with that!
    Just call it a consolidation year. That's what the Cubs have done for the last, er, 107 years.

:wink:
  • Options

Rossman92 said:

Lol. To be fair @Rossman92 the only hope the Brewers have is if all four of the other NL Central teams have a fucking mare. Good luck with that!
    Just call it a consolidation year. That's what the Cubs have done for the last, er, 107 years.

I don't care who the Cubs have, they'll always be Shite. The pirates are usually someone we beat on a regular basis. I see no reason why we can't finish 3rd. If we improve our pitching we'll be a huge threat, but not until then
  • Options

We only win it on even years, so anyone but the Evil Dodgers or the Yankees will do.

I was about to post this as well!

Go Giants!
  • Options
    We (the Red Sox) have an offensive line up that is looking beyond potent so far this spring. Ridiculous in fact. Betts and Pedroia to lead off, then stupid power in Papi, Sandoval, Hanley Ramirez, Napoli (I can't remember a better 3,4,5,6). Then Victorino, Bogaerts and maybe the hottest young catcher in the game Swihart. We have potential to hit above .250 all the way down.

Who cares if the pitching isn't at the same level (still think we will trade for an ace by mid season). We can win every game 10-5.
  • Options
    After 5 straight losses to open spring training, we (The Brew Crew) have won 3 straight. I was afraid that our pitching would be shaky at the start of the the spring and it's been less than stellar, although it's been mostly minor league guys getting shelled. It amazes me that we spend 25 draft picks on pitchers each year and we still don't seem to improve lol. Slow start but I'm optimistic about the rest of spring
  • Options
    I'm starting to get impatient now....

Countdown to Opening Day

:smile:
  • Options

I'm starting to get impatient now....

Countdown to Opening Day

:smile:

I can almost taste the Bratwurst and Cheese Curds... It's killing me
  • Options
    lol.
    We aren't so different after all @Rossman92!
  • Options
    edited March 2015

lol.
    We aren't so different after all @Rossman92!

Haha I suppose not!!