Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Boys of Summer 2015 Baseball season

Comments

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Is there any appetite for post season seedings to be based on overall wins rather than divisional winners automatically getting through the wildcards at better teams expense ?

Not sure how you level the playing field to get the best 8 teams in the play offs, as each team plays different opponents during season. For example an AL team will play most games against divisional rivals (19 against each), then other AL teams from the other 2 AL divisions (6 or 7 games against each), then 20 inter league games against NL teams.

So despite having best records in baseball, were the 3 top teams in NL central really the best 3 teams this year? Was it because there were 2 weak teams in their division? Did the Cards/cubs/Pirates do well because they played 38 games each v Brewers/Reds?? Also the Jays didn't play against the NL central teams in their inter-division games. They only get to face 5 NL teams during the season.

Astros must be happy that they changed leagues and got out of that NL central!!
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    MrOneLung said:

Is there any appetite for post season seedings to be based on overall wins rather than divisional winners automatically getting through the wildcards at better teams expense ?

I don't think so MOL.
    Remember, this is only the fourth year that they've had two teams going into the Wildcard from both AL and NL. From 2011 and earlier, the Cubs wouldn't have even made the Wildcard Playoff. It would have been a travesty, but there you go.
    They may change it in a few years, but I reckon it's too soon yet.

In 1993, (the last season before the wildcard was introduced) the SF Giants had a 103-59 record, but lost out on the postseason because they came second (by one game) in their division.
    Incidentally, they came second in the NL West to the Braves. That's the Atlanta Braves. A team on the East coast.
    The Pirates and Cubs may feel a bit hard done by this year, but the 1993 Giants have far more cause for complaint!
  • Options
    Was thinking more along the lines that the qualifying teams are still the divisional winners and then the highest non divisional winners, but that the winningnest teams out of all of those teams avoid the wild card round
  • Options
    Cubs 4 Pirates 0

Cubs now face the Cards in the NLDS.

Derby series

• Options
    So the biggest story in US sports since The Idiots of 2004 is still on. Can see this one gathering a tide of momentum - if the Cubs won the series it could be the first time since 04 that baseball makes it to headline news on BBC Sport.

Think the winner of Cubs v Cards will end up against the Royals in the series.
  • Options
    AL

Texas 5 Toronto 3 - Texas lead 1 - 0 in best of five series

Houston 5 Kansas City 2 - Houston lead 1 - 0 in best of five series
  • Options
    All away wins in the play offs so far.
  • Options
    Cubs on the brink of the NLCS. Cards will send Lackey to the mound on a very short rest period to try and save them in game 4. Cubs resist the temptation and hold back Lester for a potential game 5.

Royals fight back to stay in it versus the Astros and force a game 5 - but not before the Houston governor tweets premature congrats to the Astros.....

Mets one away from knocking out LA.

Blue Jays use Price out the pen to take the series v Texas back to Toronto for a decider.
  • Options
    To quote the late Yogi Berra "it ain't over to its over".

Cards been unconvincing for weeks but you can never write them off.

Astros had that in the bag top of the 7th
    Watched it on TV and couldn't believe they allowed 5 straight hits.

Will all four DS games go to five?
  • Options

To quote the late Yogi Berra "it ain't over to its over".

Cards been unconvincing for weeks but you can never write them off.

Astros had that in the bag top of the 7th
    Watched it on TV and couldn't believe they allowed 5 straight hits.

Will all four DS games go to five?

Hope not- LETS GO METS
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bluejays and Royals back from the dead. Let's go Bluejays!
  • Options
    Fan of the perennially disappointing Mets so quite excited at moment!
  • Options
    Is the Mets game tonight not on TV? BT showing the Cardinals v Cubs at the moment but I can't find Mets v Dodgers in the listings. BT showed the the last couple of Mets games.
  • Options
    BT Sport/ESPN 426 from 1am.
  • Options
    Cheers.
  • Options
    Cubs leading 4-2 end of 2nd.
  • Options
    Cubs win!
    First team through to the CS.
    Looks like they'll meet the Mets in the NLCS as they're leading the Dodgers 3-0 in the fourth inning at the mo, but you never know....!
  • Options
    Make that 3-1 at the end of the 4th...
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    I make 3 1 to the Dodgers!
  • Options

I make 3 1 to the Dodgers!

Haha! So it is!
    It is the middle of the night...
    :blush:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Boo

Very disappointing from the Cards. Pitching just not there. Shows how important Molina is to the side.

Batters didn't help swinging at ever slider but credit to the Cubs.

All three of the other ties have gone to five games which shows how open it is this year. Really hard to call a winner in any of them but fancy the Royals and the Blue Jays in the NL and the Mets in the AL
  • Options
    All those years of belittling the Cubbies has come back to bite you Henners.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Not really. Cards were still division champs, still won the most world series in the NL. IF IF IF the cubs win the world series then me and everyone else will have to be quiet but its over a 100 years since they managed that.
  • Options
    If baseball supporters were like UK football fans, then the Cubs would be getting a rendition of 'where were you when you were sh1t'. Maybe a bit harsh as they have always had decent support but it reminds me what being a Red Sox fan was like about 10-15 years ago. We were constantly laughed at for as long as I could remember, then all of a sudden we were 'America's team' during the 2004 play offs.

There has always been an affinity between Red Sox and Cubs fans and because of that I would like them to do well. But before long, loads of people will jump on the bandwagon, and you lose the 'lovable losers' tag which is part of the attraction.

I actually enjoyed this year as much as the last 3 times we have won it - success is always more appreciated when you have lost for so long.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

Not really. Cards were still division champs, still won the most world series in the NL. IF IF IF the cubs win the world series then me and everyone else will have to be quiet but its over a 100 years since they managed that.
    Yeah but still must sting a bit
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

No one wants to lose and not to our "local" rivals but it happens. It's not like losing to Millwall
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

No one wants to lose and not to our "local" rivals but it happens. It's not like losing to Millwall
    I'll take that as a yes then
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

If you want to misconstrue what I said then fine : - )
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

If you want to misconstrue what I said then fine : - )
    It's the done thing on here
  • Options
    I detest the dodgers, they are like chelski loadsamoney and vile fans.
    I detest the cubs, White sox have always been my fav team.

went to citifield earlier this year and had a great time. so come on Mets.

My fav player is Prince Fielder so a Rangers v Mets final would be great.