Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Boys of Summer 2015 Baseball season

Comments

• Options
    Rob said:

I like the look of the Pirates. Just not the Giants year this year.

The Giants only win the title in even years, so we will be up there again next season!

• Options
    St Louis Cardinals become the first team to confirm a place in post season despite being on a terrible run of form.

Not optimistic about the play-offs but at least we are there.
  • Options
    Dodgers nearing the play-offs despite losing yesterday. If we don't make it would love to see the Cubs go close. Hiring Joe Maddon as manager has proved a very good choice for them.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    How come the Mets were playing the Yankees this week? Thought that could only happen in the World Series.
  • Options

How come the Mets were playing the Yankees this week? Thought that could only happen in the World Series.

There are a lot of interleague games these days and often "local" derbies like White Sox v Cubs, Kansas v St Louis.
  • Options
    Not sure I would call KC v St Louis a local derby as they are 250 miles apart, although granted they are in the same state.
  • Options
    philcafc said:

Not sure I would call KC v St Louis a local derby as they are 250 miles apart, although granted they are in the same state.

That's next door in the US, imagine Seattle's closest neighbours are Oakland, nearly 700 miles away
  • Options
    philcafc said:

As Sam say it is local in US terms. And I did say "local". Its called the I70 after the interstate that links the two cities
  • Options
    Massive win for the Cardinals last night at Pittsburgh. Now two games from winning the NL Central division again. Another win over the Pirates tonight will be. enough. Both the Pirates and Cubs have already made at least the wild card.

Blue Jays look like they will hold off the Yankees in the AL East but the Yanks should make the wild card spot.

Kansas won the AL Central ages ago

It looked like Houston would take the AL West but they blew up big time letting the Rangers in but now both Houston and the LA Angels are putting in a late chase. Both are only two games behind.

NY Mets strolled the NL East and the Dodgers should beat out the Giants in the NL West.

Just 5 or 6 games left in the regular season.
  • Options
    Delighted that my Dodgers beat the Giants 8-0 last night to not only clinch the NL West but eliminate the Giants from the Play-Offs in the process. NL Play-Off teams all now settled but still very tight in the AL with only the Blue Jays and the Royals certain of Post -Season play and no fewer than 5 teams - Yankees, Twins, Rangers, Angels and Astros battling for the other 3 places. Incredibly 3 teams can still win the AL West with only 5 games left.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    philcafc said:

Delighted that my Dodgers beat the Giants 8-0 last night to not only clinch the NL West but eliminate the Giants from the Play-Offs in the process. NL Play-Off teams all now settled but still very tight in the AL with only the Blue Jays and the Royals certain of Post -Season play and no fewer than 5 teams - Yankees, Twins, Rangers, Angels and Astros battling for the other 3 places. Incredibly 3 teams can still win the AL West with only 5 games left.

And then some key games get rained off last night.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Get your money on the Red Sox to win the AL East next year.

They have been on fire for the last few months since they elevated the youth from their farm system. Owens, Rodriguez, Swihart, JBJ, Shaw et al are doing more than the big money guys like Sandoval and Ramirez ever were (which shows what a waste of money they were).

Give the Red Sox a bullpen and they will be looking very strong.
  • Options

They have been on fire for the last few months since they elevated the youth from their farm system. Owens, Rodriguez, Swihart, JBJ, Shaw et al are doing more than the big money guys like Sandoval and Ramirez ever were (which shows what a waste of money they were).

I never could understand the signing of Sandoval. A 5 year USD 100m contract for a supposedly professional athlete who can't lay off the cheeseburgers
  • Options
    Missed It said:

I never could understand the signing of Sandoval. A 5 year USD 100m contract for a supposedly professional athlete who can't lay off the cheeseburgers
    "but does he get on base?" - Brad Pitt 2011
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Papelbon seems to be a nice bloke!!! Grabbing the throat of Bryce, the Nationals best player, after abusing him on his walk back to the dug out was probably not his finest move. And the Blue Jays at last getting to a post season for the first time in 22 years.
  • Options

It's looking hopeful, but they really need a starting pitcher, someone who can anchor the staff. I wonder if they'll go after Price.

Sandoval is a tub of lard, but he's surprisingly nimble at 3rd. Ramirez is the odd man out. There's nowhere for him to play especially if they stick with Shaw.
  • Options
    I used to label them as lucky to be playing in such a weak division, but with the Pirates and Cubs this year thats not the case.

Still think the Cubs need to be watched in the post season. All has a touch of Red Sox 2004 about it.
  • Options
    Tuesday, October 6
    8:00 PM ALWC Astros @ Yankees Keuchel (20-8) at Tanaka (12-7)

Wednesday, October 7
    8:00 PM NLWC Cubs @ Pirates Arrieta (22-6) at Cole (19-8)

Thursday, October 8
    ALDS Gm 1 Rangers @ Blue Jays TBD at Price (18-5)

ALDS Gm 1 AL Wild Card @ Royals

Friday, October 9
    12:30 PM ALDS Gm 2 Rangers @ Blue Jays

3:30 PM ALDS Gm 2 AL Wild Card @ Royals

6:30 PM NLDS Gm 1 NL Wild Card @ Cardinals

9:30 PM NLDS Gm 1 Mets @ Dodgers deGrom (14-8) at TBD

• Options
    Red Sox fan but for this October - Go Cubs! Would be one of the great all time stories in US sports if they won the whole lot.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cubs finished with 8 wins and 97 wins over the seasons.

Would have been enough to win any other division this and most other seasons.

Unlucky for them that that was only the third best record and the 2nd and 1st teams were the two above them in the NLC and the same two teams they have beat to get to the NL series.

Not confident the Cards will do it as been inconsistent but home advantage might be enough.
  • Options
    Always been a white sox fan so detest the cubs, every year it's lets all laugh at the cubs. Earlier this went to citi field and saw the Mets beat thre phillies so they are now my second team, i even subscribe to mlb tv. GO METS GO
  • Options
    Cubs in a 1 game playoff - what could possibly go wrong? My vote is walking in the winning run in the bottom of the 9th
  • Options
    Lets Go Blue Jays. Last time we made it to the playoffs i was 5!
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Yanks v Astros tonight in the AL 1 game wild card playoff. CC Sabathia checked into rehab for alcohol addiction so unavailable for NY this October. Not happening for NY this year, faded badly in last month. Starting for Houston will be Dallas Keuchel, whose 16 innings against the Yankees this season yielded 0 runs, 21 strikeouts, 1 walk!!

Jays looking good in the what has been a strange AL East this year. .666 since all star break. Would be great to see them go the whole way.

Tomorrow night is the NL wild card play off. Cubs @ Pittsburgh. As mentioned earlier today, feel sorry for both teams as they have 2nd & 3rd best records in MLB this year but only made wild card game! Crazy NL central this year. One of them will be out come Thursday morning.
  • Options

Yanks v Astros tonight in the AL 1 game wild card playoff. CC Sabathia checked into rehab for alcohol addiction so unavailable for NY this October. Not happening for NY this year, faded badly in last month. Starting for Houston will be Dallas Keuchel, whose 16 innings against the Yankees this season yielded 0 runs, 21 strikeouts, 1 walk!!

Jays looking good in the what has been a strange AL East this year. .666 since all star break. Would be great to see them go the whole way.

Tomorrow night is the NL wild card play off. Cubs @ Pittsburgh. As mentioned earlier today, feel sorry for both teams as they have 2nd & 3rd best records in MLB this year but only made wild card game! Crazy NL central this year. One of them will be out come Thursday morning.

And two out of the three best teams in the leagues will be out at the end of the NLDS as the Wild Card winners will play the Cards.

The good news for humanity is that the Astros dumped the Evil Yanks out last night. :smiley:
  • Options
    Bye bye Yankees :wink:
  • Options
    Ha ha! Yankees in the bin!! Can't believe how fast the Astros have turned around from being such a dreadful team.
  • Options
    Yankees couldn't figure Keuchel out all season.

should be a great pitching duel tonight.
  • Options
    Is there any appetite for post season seedings to be based on overall wins rather than divisional winners automatically getting through the wildcards at better teams expense ?