Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Boys of Summer 2015 Baseball season

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2015
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    This is the most exciting season to be a Mariners fan in well over a decade. I'm starting to get my hopes up, probably only to have them crushed.

Favourites for the AL West and with good reason! I really hope Hernandez and the boys can pull something great out the bag this season, because we've had a miserable time of it from pretty much the turn of the millennium.
  • Options
    Opening night everyone, Cardinals vs Cubs. Wrigley field is packed
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    3-0 to the Cards - Lester gone before completing 5.
    Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose
    COYRedbirds
  • Options
    Cubs just couldn't convert anything. I think they said they were 0 for 12 with RISP on the night.
    Not a great debut for Lester. 4th inning was poor.
  • Options
    Just shows that the 'ace' is not always all it is cracked up to be. My concern for the Sox is that, whilst our offence is almost laughably stacked, we will miss not having a genuine 'ace'. But maybe having 5 'decent' starters in Buchholz, Porcello, Masterson, Miley and Kelly will be enough if we can win 10-8 every game!
  • Options
    Got MLB 15 The Show for PS4 on Friday, anyone a fan of both baseball and gaming need to get it, the realism is insane.

Already resigned to playing out the 15 season with the Diamondbacks trying to rewrite it for the better
  • Options

Cubs just couldn't convert anything. I think they said they were 0 for 12 with RISP on the night.
    Not a great debut for Lester. 4th inning was poor.

0 for 13.

Cards own the central again.

Only another 161 games to go.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Got MLB 15 The Show for PS4 on Friday, anyone a fan of both baseball and gaming need to get it, the realism is insane.

Already resigned to playing out the 15 season with the Diamondbacks trying to rewrite it for the better

Off to the states next week to see the Red Sox at Rays, will buy the show out there and bring it back. It always was a good game, and looking forward to this years edition.
  • Options
    Hello all. I feel no need to start another thread about it for lack of interest but Id like to enlighten you all. I'm sure many if you are aware that America too has a non-league of sorts in Minor League Baseball. The town I live in has a team (roughly equivalent to a league 2 team) and as I was sitting there watching the game tonight, I realized that just like non league football, the Minor leagues are something that should be experienced by all. With 240 teams, they are not hard to find, so if you ever find yourself in the states to watch an MLB game, I encourage you to find a Minor league team somewhere close and take in what true baseball is. Although our stadium here is very old school and run down like the parks of yesteryear, most parks nowadays look like mini major league stadiums, they truly are a sight to see. Hope you all have the chance to do it. Just thought I'd enlighten you all
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agree. Love seeing Pawtucket when I am over watching the Red Sox. Summer evenings, crickets chirping, fireflies in the sky, the crack of a home run, and a chance to see some of our prospects. That's our AAA affiliate but have enjoyed watching the AA team as well up in Portland ME.
  • Options
    I holiday every year on the Florida Gulf Coast and take in at least one trip to Tropicana Field, home of the Tampa Bay Rays. I also endorse what Rossman92 says as I also incorporate a Bradenton Marauders minor league game with some folks from Canada who I meet up with most years, which is a quite different experience. In many ways the minor league is more fun!
  • Options
    My wife's American and we visit FL each year to visit her mum. My son and I always watch the Ft Myers Miracle. Last season they used the new Red Sox training facility called Jet Blue Park, what an amazing place. We then take a road trip each year up to Tampa to see a Rays game. I lived in Chicago so am a Cubs fan, good to see them finally start Bryant.

One more thing and I can't say how I know, but I do, MLB is going to start playing a series of games each season in London at the Olympic Stadium just like the NFL!
  • Options
    Nug said:

My wife's American and we visit FL each year to visit her mum. My son and I always watch the Ft Myers Miracle. Last season they used the new Red Sox training facility called Jet Blue Park, what an amazing place. We then take a road trip each year up to Tampa to see a Rays game. I lived in Chicago so am a Cubs fan, good to see them finally start Bryant.

One more thing and I can't say how I know, but I do, MLB is going to start playing a series of games each season in London at the Olympic Stadium just like the NFL!

Bloody brilliant news! I have been waiting for that for years. Crossing all fingers that the Red Sox will be over at some point.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Enjoying watching the NESN coverage of the Earoles v Red Sox tonight. Don Orsillo and RemDawg are the best commentary duo in baseball.
    And the Cards stuffing Cincin at the same time. Splendid.

Actually, to be fair, Keith Hernandez and the SNY boys covering the Mets are pretty entertaining as well. Mets having a great start to the season. Mrs Molloy is beside herself.
  • Options
    Just catching up with some of the action from last night and there's a phenomenon in baseball that I find amusing and cringeworthy in equal amounts:

The clearing of benches.

During KC vs CWS last night there was a 'good' one.
    They always make me laugh, partly because it's just an accepted feature of baseball that whenever two players have a disagreement, the whole of both teams have to come onto the field to, er, 'help'. I also chuckle when a situation gets 'so bad' that the bullpens empty too. It's like the pitchers aren't expected to show up unless a certain amount of time passes.

One reason it's cringeworthy is that there is an inevitability of certain individuals doing the 'dance of the coward' around the edge of the fracas, egging others on while avoiding any possibility of physical involvement. Also, there is often a revelation that, despite all of these athletes having the excellent hand-eye coordination needed to bat in the major leagues, some of them are unable to land a punch on someone.
    Finally it's the utter brainlessness of it. What is achieved? I understand a desire to show a sense of unity and strength, but it really does make baseball players look stupid.

In truth, I wouldn't do away with it because, as I say, it does amuse me, but whenever it's over I always feel a little embarrassed, not only that it's such an ingrained part of this fantastic game, but also because I've sat there enthusiastically watching it!
  • Options
    Ha!
    Yeah, that's it Henners. Should have posted a link, sorry!
  • Options
    Cards now have best record in the MLB and the best start in their modern history. And that despite losing top pitcher Adam Wainwright for the season.

Cards doing well isn't a surprise. Neither is the Yanks being top in the AL East.

But Houston, perennial non-achievers won 10 in a row before losing to Texas last night and are top of the AL West.

Detroit and Kansas City in a very tight race in the AL central
  • Options
    Yanks being top in the AL East is a massive surprise. They are meant to be in a rebuilding phase with an ageing line up and lack of depth in the farm system but are taking advantage of the Red Sox pitching imploding over the last month (thats what happens when you dont have an ace). If the Sox end up trading for Hamels and/or Cueto which is heavily rumoured (they didnt want to give up any prospects but have to now their rotation has an ERA of +5) they should be far stronger.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tell you what isn't a surprise, Dbacks losing more than winning
  • Options
    Just seen this about the Cheating Cardinals.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33159086
  • Options
    buckshee said:

Attended my first game tonight. Philadelphia 4-0 down in the 9th came back to win 5-4 in the 11th. Must say I actually really enjoyed it. Especially the ability to drink Stella in my seat.

Excellent. Everyone I know says that baseball is a very easy game to fall in love with. Glad you enjoyed it. The more you get to know the game the more there is to enjoy - it is so strategically deep.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Just seen this about the Cheating Cardinals.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33159086

Clearly the other clubs are jealous.

Why would we care what Houston are doing : - )
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Clearly the Redsox terrible season meant few posts on here but as we get near to the end of the regular season:

The Cardinals are in their usual position of top of the NL Central and have the best PCT in the MLB. But they are being chased hard by the Pirates and unbeliably the Cubs who must feel unlucky to be in such a strong divison. Anywhere else and they would be top.

The Giants have slipped a long way behind the Dodgers so LA look set to win the NL West

In the NL East the Mets have pulled away from the Nationals

In the AL the Yanks haven't been great but it has taken a great post break revival from the Blue Jays to overtake them.

Kansas City are strolling the AL Central with a 12 game lead. Detriot have collapsed from potential division winner to wooden spoons contenders

In the NL East Houston look like they might pip Texas and win a division for the first time in a decade.

Royals v Cards in an I-70 World Series is what the form guide say but this is baseball
  • Options
    Can't argue with the analysis Henners.
    I'm a Red Sox fan, but my second team are the Cubs so I've been watching them with interest this year. Arrieta is on an excellent streak of form at the moment - I saw he has a 0.99 ERA over the last 110 or so innings pitched (in, I think, 15 games), which is pretty impressive. There have been plenty of contributions from a large number of players too though which has pushed them up into contention. Only big disappointment has been Lester, but even he's pulled his disastrous early season form back a bit and now only marginally has a losing record for the season.
    As you say, they're unlucky to be in the NL Central or they'd be coasting by now, but it looks pretty likely to be the Pirates and Cubs in the NL Wild Card Playoff, so still a good chance of postseason proper for a change. I'd love to see them do the business.
  • Options
    Orioles wheels came off....
  • Options
    I like the look of the Pirates. Just not the Giants year this year.
  • Options
    Another Sox fan who will follow Jon Lester and the Cubbies in the post season.

Tell you what - the Red Sox youth are all guns blazing now. Just 3 months too late!