Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Polish Pete ?

Comments

• Options
    Just Marko and George to go now.....
  • Options
    Ross said:

Just Marko and George to go now.....

And Sarr and Cebellos and maybe even Johnson
  • Options
    edited February 2016

For a club with limited resources such as ourselves, to have wasted so much money through appalling scouting and a complete failure to research the strength of the Championship, is a disgrace. Nothing against Piotr personally, but his time on the pitch in the first team is likely to have cost us in the region of

£100,000 per minute

if it were just him then fair enough as all Clubs make the odd mistake but we have had far too many in the RD era who have, or still are, costing us plenty out of our limited budget.
    This this and
    LordDofB said:

KM boasts of money spent but neglects to say that 90% has been wasted.

This
    Worth adding that £100,000 per minute is just on transfer fee before we include a couple of years' wages?

Edit: And what it would have cost to terminate the remaining 2.5 years(?) contract
  • Options
    Dmitrovic's contract runs out in the summer anyway, George I agree should be released, Ceballos has more to give IMO, Sarr also has enough about him to be a squad player, but RoJo can do one as far as I'm concerned
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

What has Ceballos done so wrong to be lumped in with this? He's played 6-7 matches this year. His injury was a contact one, not muscular (Hull game was on telly here, the injury was unlucky but a result of him sticking a boot in). I know he made a brief comeback and hasn't been seen since, although given he was signed near the end of the window and then got injured shortly thereafter, he probably didn't have much of a preseason and has had to spend three months on the sidelines. Surely he's at least worth giving until the end of the season before judgment can be made?

I think it's more that there are strong rumours that he's to be moved on rather than anything else
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Dmitrovic's contract runs out in the summer anyway, George I agree should be released, Ceballos has more to give IMO, Sarr also has enough about him to be a squad player, but RoJo can do one as far as I'm concerned

I thought Dmitrovic looked a decent enough player. 15 U21 Caps for a decent Serbian team, probably a better prospect than Pope
  • Options
    It least all the wooden surfaces are now nice and shiny.......thats the only positive I can take form employing Polish Pete.
  • Options
    Proves what a load of old cobblers the term "highly-rated" is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    vff said:

Big bucks reported at the time but I do wonder how much signing PP has actually cost. Doubt there was a very big up front payment with most of the fee dependent on games played etc etc. Doubt Pete has triggered any additional monies. If we havn't paid too much in wages whilst on loan then he probably hasn't actually cost that much.

The real issue here is the acquisition of an obviously not good enough player in the first place. I'm fairly confident that those to blame are still actively influencing our recruitment policy. It's utter madness.

The guy signed a four and a half year deal. It's highly unlikely he's on less than £150k a year. Practically everyone except kids was on £250k minimum in 2013, and he's a striker, who attract a premium. Even at £150k that would make his contract worth £675k in round numbers (and that excludes on-costs). We were subsiding his wages at Randers and if his contract has been cancelled it's reasonable to assume that we paid up a good half of the balance, probably more given he won't earn the same anywhere else. I'd be very surprised if he has cost the club less than £1m overall and it's quite likely to be closer to £2m, depending on the fee.

This was a player who, from day one, couldn't cut it in the U21s, according to reports. Not his fault, but it was an appalling decision to sign him. I suspect if people saw the figures there would be more frustration, not less.
    Thankyou AB. Taking your points into consideration Piotr's signing was nothing short of criminal.
    Money thrown away. Who is accountable for the PP signing ? I would like to know KM's take on the whole PP deal and outcome.
    As with everything to do with Meire, she will likely sale his acquisition and subsequent cancellation of his contract, were the right decisions...
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Cebellos and Johnson yes but I really think Saar has the qualities to be a good player

Saar has the qualities to be a good player

Football is, of course, a game of opinions and I respect yours. But in my opinion the only possibility of Sarr becoming a good player is if he's in the Belgian 3rd division.

Interestingly, I'm sure its not coincidence that Sarr has not been anywhere near the first team squad this last 2 games. Didn't take Riga long to realise that one of our best chances of staying up is to keep Sarr as far away as possible from the first team.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Sarr reminds me of Les Berry except :
    cant run
    cant tackle
    has no balance
    cant head the ball

is a prospect tho if ASDA need more car washers
  • Options
    The odd thing is that Parystzek and Pawel Abbott both played for Poland at U21 level and Abbott, post SE7 even won the Polish Cup and had a respectable record in their top division. In UK terms, though, both were League Two level players.

For that matter Yassin Moutaouakil, Yohann Thuram-Ulien were both French U21, and........

On the other hand Jose Semedo is Portugese U21 and might yet play in the Premiership.

Are there any others that come to mind?

You'd have to say, on balance, that England U21 players, even if they don't work out at Premier level (anyone for Marcus Bent or Jamie Stuart?), are often a better bet than many European players who reach the same representative level.

Let's hope that Yaya Sanogo turns out to be the next Thierry Henry rather than the next Parystzek or Abbott!
  • Options
    Benfica will be calling his agent as we speak...
  • Options

Big bucks reported at the time but I do wonder how much signing PP has actually cost. Doubt there was a very big up front payment with most of the fee dependent on games played etc etc. Doubt Pete has triggered any additional monies. If we havn't paid too much in wages whilst on loan then he probably hasn't actually cost that much.

The real issue here is the acquisition of an obviously not good enough player in the first place. I'm fairly confident that those to blame are still actively influencing our recruitment policy. It's utter madness.

The guy signed a four and a half year deal. It's highly unlikely he's on less than £150k a year. Practically everyone except kids was on £250k minimum in 2013, and he's a striker, who attract a premium. Even at £150k that would make his contract worth £675k in round numbers (and that excludes on-costs). We were subsiding his wages at Randers and if his contract has been cancelled it's reasonable to assume that we paid up a good half of the balance, probably more given he won't earn the same anywhere else. I'd be very surprised if he has cost the club less than £1m overall and it's quite likely to be closer to £2m, depending on the fee.

This was a player who, from day one, couldn't cut it in the U21s, according to reports. Not his fault, but it was an appalling decision to sign him. I suspect if people saw the figures there would be more frustration, not less.
    Surely it was his fault. His ability is ultimately down to him and him alone. Not his fault what he gets paid however I do agree.

The point for me is that he isn't the first and won't be the last very poor signing by this or any other club. Similarly a club can sign a player who almost immediately has stop / start injuries that lead to a lack of value in the contract.

Torres post Liverpool shows how a good player can become a poor one for no obvious reason.

These things are only right or wrong with hindsight unfortunately given some other signings have been fine.

I'd have thought RD would be keen to ensure there is more collective responsibility from the scouts and coaches for who is signed in future if the loss is this great. Surprised if before contracts were handed out just off the back of a KF recommendation if he had no track record to seek that sort of trust. But who knows.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm confused as to why he was so poor though. He scored goals, albeit in a crap league. Maybe just not cut out for the pace of our football?
  • Options

I'm confused as to why he was so poor though. He scored goals, albeit in a crap league. Maybe just not cut out for the pace of our football?

At a guess - plunged into a club in a desperate relegation battle in January + some of the fellow squad members not being that great (either?) + turmoil at managerial level + peculiar ''back seat driver'' mentality of RD shipping people off on loan at a whim = he may have lost interest (ok, ok.....he shouldn't if he's being paid £150k) and thought that he was never going to get a decent chance to build his game up and develop into an OK Championship/League One player.

Be interesting to see what level he bottoms out at.
  • Options
    Can see Polish Pete no longer being in the Football Manager database in 3-5 years.

Sarr sometimes looks like he's playing with someone else's legs and his positioning (in the games I've seen him in) leaves much to be desired, but I do actually agree that there is something in there and he could come good. All the best defenders tend to have a bit of age on their side, and that's no coincidence - he's got the physicality to get there, but so do many, many others who won't.
  • Options

Cebellos and Johnson yes but I really think Saar has the qualities to be a good player

Saar has the qualities to be a good player

Football is, of course, a game of opinions and I respect yours. But in my opinion the only possibility of Sarr becoming a good player is if he's in the Belgian 3rd division.

Interestingly, I'm sure its not coincidence that Sarr has not been anywhere near the first team squad this last 2 games. Didn't take Riga long to realise that one of our best chances of staying up is to keep Sarr as far away as possible from the first team.

Watching Sarr getting torn a new one by the strike force from the mighty Chelmsford City in our PSF was a terrifying experience. Strangely, Luzon didn't seem to notice.
  • Options
    Send Sarr out on loan to Sheffield Utd.
  • Options

Send Sarr out on loan to Sheffield Utd.

Which one will come good?
  • Options

Good post... Only worthy of a "B" Grade though.

At 21... Harry Lennon is making mistakes yet is being let off by fans, whilst Naby Sarr who is only a year older, is in a completely different country for the first time yet is being picked up for every mistake he makes - You could rightly ask, whats the difference?

Now had you mentioned that you'd have got an "A" Grade... Still a very good post and you got a like so be happy with that

Thank you kind sir. A good point about Lennon, and I have called out his brain fades and positional errors which have led to goals in other posts. I intentionally didn't bring it up here because I don't want to constantly fall into the trap of "which one of these 21/2 year old Center Halves in their first full season in the Championship is less rubbish?" There will be time for that, and hopefully it will shift from "less rubbish" to "better." For now, I just wanted to make the point that Sarr is worthy of a place in our squad and some patience.

Never been happy with a B, but I'll take it.
  • Options
    As Chris P said very early on .........."this fella is not even good enough for our U21 side"

And it turned out.................he was right.