Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Polish Pete ?

Comments

• Options

SDAddick said:

Cebellos and Johnson yes but I really think Saar has the qualities to be a good player

Saar has the qualities to be a good player

Football is, of course, a game of opinions and I respect yours. But in my opinion the only possibility of Sarr becoming a good player is if he's in the Belgian 3rd division.

Interestingly, I'm sure its not coincidence that Sarr has not been anywhere near the first team squad this last 2 games. Didn't take Riga long to realise that one of our best chances of staying up is to keep Sarr as far away as possible from the first team.

So we differ on our opinions of Naby Sarr, but during the Ipswich match, the commentator for the US broadcast mentioned having seen Sarr in the Toulon Tournament a couple years back, and said that he was one of the brightest prospects on show there. He came through the Lyon academy, which is top notch. He was bought by Sporting. He's played for the French under-21s.

I have no idea if we actually have scouts, if they're football scouts or cub scouts, and if we do, who they are and who they report to. But with Sarr, whatever someone at our club saw in him has been seen by others in the game. It's no guarantee that he'll come good, but I hope he's given a bit of time, including potentially a loan move, to come good.

He's had three center back partners (Lennon, Diarra, Bauer), two of whom were also still adjusting the the championship. His run of games coincided with us not having a head coach, and therefore a complete lack of an organized defense. As far as introductions to the Championship go, that's pretty rough. Should he have started the year as our 3rd choice CB? Probably not, no, and he should have had proper coaches working with him from the start and more settled players around him as well but that's not his fault.

He's not been in the last couple match day squads, yes, but we're only likely to have one CB on the bench and right now he's fourth choice. The sign of a good coach is one who makes players better (as individuals and as a team). We've already seen signs of it on Saturday, and unlike some of the lads we've brought in for a few months from aboard and then, shocked when they failed to settle, binned off, it'd be nice if Sarr is actually given time under a proper manager to adjust himself to the league. Do that thing where we attempt to nurture, foster, and grow a player.
    Good post... Only worthy of a "B" Grade though.

At 21... Harry Lennon is making mistakes yet is being let off by fans, whilst Naby Sarr who is only a year older, is in a completely different country for the first time yet is being picked up for every mistake he makes - You could rightly ask, whats the difference?

Now had you mentioned that you'd have got an "A" Grade... Still a very good post and you got a like so be happy with that
    The difference is we paid £1M for Sarr and nothing for Lennon.
    True. It shouldn't make a difference though really - Sarr deserves the same chance (it's certainly not his fault how much he cost). Pound for pound, they are similar in terms of development and need the same support.
  • Options
    Agreed. They need the same support and it shouldn't be in the first team. Not if we want to be a steady Championship team.
  • Options

Agreed. They need the same support and it shouldn't be in the first team. Not if we want to be a steady Championship team.

True. And we come back to the joke that is our transfer policy. Expecting 21 year old CBs to settle immediately is...crazy
  • Options

SDAddick said:

Cebellos and Johnson yes but I really think Saar has the qualities to be a good player

Football is, of course, a game of opinions and I respect yours. But in my opinion the only possibility of Sarr becoming a good player is if he's in the Belgian 3rd division.

Interestingly, I'm sure its not coincidence that Sarr has not been anywhere near the first team squad this last 2 games. Didn't take Riga long to realise that one of our best chances of staying up is to keep Sarr as far away as possible from the first team.

So we differ on our opinions of Naby Sarr, but during the Ipswich match, the commentator for the US broadcast mentioned having seen Sarr in the Toulon Tournament a couple years back, and said that he was one of the brightest prospects on show there. He came through the Lyon academy, which is top notch. He was bought by Sporting. He's played for the French under-21s.

I have no idea if we actually have scouts, if they're football scouts or cub scouts, and if we do, who they are and who they report to. But with Sarr, whatever someone at our club saw in him has been seen by others in the game. It's no guarantee that he'll come good, but I hope he's given a bit of time, including potentially a loan move, to come good.

He's had three center back partners (Lennon, Diarra, Bauer), two of whom were also still adjusting the the championship. His run of games coincided with us not having a head coach, and therefore a complete lack of an organized defense. As far as introductions to the Championship go, that's pretty rough. Should he have started the year as our 3rd choice CB? Probably not, no, and he should have had proper coaches working with him from the start and more settled players around him as well but that's not his fault.

He's not been in the last couple match day squads, yes, but we're only likely to have one CB on the bench and right now he's fourth choice. The sign of a good coach is one who makes players better (as individuals and as a team). We've already seen signs of it on Saturday, and unlike some of the lads we've brought in for a few months from aboard and then, shocked when they failed to settle, binned off, it'd be nice if Sarr is actually given time under a proper manager to adjust himself to the league. Do that thing where we attempt to nurture, foster, and grow a player.

At 21... Harry Lennon is making mistakes yet is being let off by fans, whilst Naby Sarr who is only a year older, is in a completely different country for the first time yet is being picked up for every mistake he makes - You could rightly ask, whats the difference?

Now had you mentioned that you'd have got an "A" Grade... Still a very good post and you got a like so be happy with that
    Lennon makes mistakes but is younger and I have not seen him air kick the ball every game ala Sarr.

I hope a Sarr comes good, he has the right physical attributes but so did Mambo and no one spent £2M on him !
  • Options
    I don't want to write Sarr off, but that Colchester performance was an absolute horror show. I mean really, really bad - still gives me shivers.
  • Options

I have seen enough of Reza to knowi dont want to see any more, so on that basis PP out of the two. Having said that, I would take KAG above both.

Bring Andy Jones out of retirement.
  • Options
    So where is Polish these days? If there was any long term plan on our signings (holding back the laughter here) the idea should have been to loan him out inthe UK, possibly to a league 1 side. Instead, he was shipped off to Belgium, where he had a jolly nice time, but probably was'nt in the best interests of the club holding his contract. Obviously, we ould'nt sell, as we'd paid way too much for him, and would have to write a large chunk of that off. But we seemed incapable of helping him to adapt either. The sametrick we performed on Tucadean.
    Just my view but it seems as if not only are our signings not good, but we seem to do bugger all to bring them through. Ceballos was another case in point. A young player with future potential, but the rumours are we are trying to off load him. So deemed not good enough, and neither is there any potential to justify coaching him or bringing him in gently. But we have learnt our lessons from previous mistakes....
  • Options

SDAddick said:

Lennon makes mistakes but is younger and I have not seen him air kick the ball every game ala Sarr.

I hope a Sarr comes good, he has the right physical attributes but so did Mambo and no one spent £2M on him !
    No-one spent £2m on Sarr either!

There's less than 18 months between the two of them

Someone above mentioned Sarr not being in the 18 for the past 2 games and us looking better for it? Lennon played the full 90 against both Huddersfield and Hull.... Sarr didn't feature.
  • Options
    Could say the same about Holmes-Dennis disappearing from the first team though.

I think both are involved in the Match-Day squad as they were doing some running alongside the warm up against Blackburn yet arent quite making the bench (i.e. If Johnson was to injury himself he'd be instantly swapped with Sarr)
  • Options
    Weird and maybe telling that his first club De_Graafschap haven't taken him back. 30 goals in 50 apps for them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Does anyone know for sure who scouted/recommended him?
  • Options
    What's the situation with Nego?
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    LenGlover said:

He was sold to Videoton in the Summer
  • Options

LenGlover said:

He was sold to Videoton in the Summer
    I'll ask my Videoton-supporting mate at work how he's getting on.
    You'll want to fast forward the conversation if they ask how he got on at Charlton
  • Options
    Am glad he's gone back to De Graafschap but what player are they getting back after two years.

They're in the Dutch Top Flight now as well whereas when he was last with them, they were in the Second Division
  • Options
    Although Wikipedia said he was on trial @ Grimsby... Would be a better move surely
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Making a late bid for Polands Euro 2016 squad clearly
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Although Wikipedia said he was on trial @ Grimsby... Would be a better move surely

Grimsby didn't want him lol. They turned him down before he returned to De Graafschap. Gold.
  • Options
    Notice he has score for Zwolle tonight who currently sitting 2nd above Ajax and feyenoord
  • Options
    buckshee said:

I think he'll turn out to be half decent , just wasn't ready when he came to us.

Hearing that story on the podcasts last year about how he turned up with his suitcase at sparrows and was effectively given the "who the f are you?" treatment couldn't have helped him. Shambles
  • Options
    A certain Belgian computer analyst will be breaking out the tissues at this news.
  • Options
    Isnt Zwolle where @Lewis Coaches lives?
  • Options
    edited October 2017

A certain Belgian computer analyst will be breaking out the tissues at this news.

• Options
    The next Lewandowski.