Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is it getting close to considering a boycott of a home game?

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2015

The weird thing is, I feel like a 'boycott' out of apathy would be more effective than an angry one. We've seen how the protests over in Liege has done absolutely nothing to change Roland's mind.

Roland is all about money. The only thing that will wake him up is if his wallet takes a battering. As you say the Liege protests have done little to change his philosophy so it will serve us no purpose either. I'm not saying that people should boycott games, but maybe there's a way to hit is wallet without dropping support for the team. Merchandising and spending money within the ground on catering, beer, programs etc is one obvious way, maybe people can think about other ways too.

If people are serious about trying to make some kind of point, maybe something along these lines would work more than angry protests. I dunno.

Edit: Just read that @kentred2 suggested something along similar lines, sorry for not reading properly before posting.
  • Options

dickplumb said:

C4FC4L1f3 said:

I will never boycott! I support Charlton Athletic Football CLUB!! and i voice my concerns in the Valley! if i feel inclined i may do it outside the main reception!

I must obviously not be a proper fan because I will not go again until the Belgian's are gone. I have been a fan for fifty three years go to U18 and U21 games. Was a shareholder, VIP and Valley Gold member and Season Ticket holder. If you want to know how I feel read Steve Dixon's article in VOTV. What is the point in going to something that I get no pleasure from. I was just going because of a sense of duty. I feel that the only way I can protest at what is happening is to withdraw my custom.
    It really gives me no pleasure. I miss the trips away and my days at the Valley, but I will not change until the owners start to listen to the fans.

Well don't fucking come back and bardge your way to the front of the que if there is a big cup game away from home and make someone who goes to at least most of the games during RD's tenure misses out because of someone like you who stays away all games. Not that in recent years we have had too many big cup games anyway.
    Brilliant. This really is the least of our worries.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Well cutting off your nose to spite your face will have absolutely no affect on what the owner does i'm afraid. He really doesn't care what you or any fans do , just ask the Standard Liege fans. I suspect if you are staying away until things change you may well have seen your last game at The Valley which is very sad.

Nail on head, Beds.

My thoughts exactly.

• Options
    I'm assuming that 2chalets is Jewish? - after all, his coach is Jewish and his transfer advisor is Jewish . Now, before the racism police come scurrying - its a common belief that Jewish people dont like to lose or overspend money- right?
    In that case i am still trying to get my head around what he is trying to achieve with his Charlton experiment. He buys a club that is losing money, a club that needs a significant amount of money to keep running, yet he continues to provide a sub-standard product - a product which is steadily losing more income because its clients are no longer prepared to accept said product.Therefore its loss continues on the upward path.
    However, most people are suggesting that he wouldnt care less,based on SL's experience, if people turned up or not at the gates - thus losing more income!! And it seems that he wouldnt care less if we go down to L1 - how can that make sense ??!!
    So, what is his reasoning? what is his real desire for CAFC? - as someone else mentioned, maybe he is simply having an experiment, like his dalliance with politics, until he gets bored and discards the experiment.?
    When that happens, what happens to OUR club.?
    TBH, like most people on here, CAFC has been in the blood of my family for many generations, and i have passed it down through the next generation, and i will expect my sons to pass it down through their children too. I dont take too kindly to someone having an 'experiment' , or a bit of fun with something which has been so ingrained in my life - and the current incumbent not giving a shit about the people that really matter in all this ..US.
  • Options
    Bring back the G21 in conjunction with the supporters trust and this time have a more thought out plan of action.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

no point in boycotting...hit them in the pocket... Don't buy programmes etc

I bet RD is quivering in his boots..
    work out the finances....How many paying public go to games???

Do you think printers print programmes for nothing??

The club has sold the food and club shop to franchises

Therefore the only way you will any immediate impact on revenue streams is on sales of programmes...

The sale of a programme x7,000 with printing costs will have a hit on the monthly bottom line revenue stream
    I should think Katrien has already done the programme revenue enough damage with her revised sale arrangements. I doubt if they are printing more than 4,000 and cash sales will probably be 2,500-3,000 - a lot are given away with lounge packages, etc.
  • Options
    How about '2chalets out' embossed toilet paper thrown from North Upper ??
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2015
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    dickplumb said:

C4FC4L1f3 said:

I will never boycott! I support Charlton Athletic Football CLUB!! and i voice my concerns in the Valley! if i feel inclined i may do it outside the main reception!

I must obviously not be a proper fan because I will not go again until the Belgian's are gone. I have been a fan for fifty three years go to U18 and U21 games. Was a shareholder, VIP and Valley Gold member and Season Ticket holder. If you want to know how I feel read Steve Dixon's article in VOTV. What is the point in going to something that I get no pleasure from. I was just going because of a sense of duty. I feel that the only way I can protest at what is happening is to withdraw my custom.
    It really gives me no pleasure. I miss the trips away and my days at the Valley, but I will not change until the owners start to listen to the fans.

I wont be renewing, but I will travel to away games. I'm lucky enough to live in a part of the country where a number of Championship clubs are actually nearer to me than The Valley. Derby, Wolves, Birmingham, Nottingham, Cardiff, Reading, Bolton and Sheffield are all quicker for me to get to than Charlton. With the possibility of Swindon and Bristol City coming up and Leicester likely coming down, that adds another three if all goes well. Obviously Derby could get promoted, (though I'm hoping they don't for selfish reasons), but if all goes well, I have a good number of clubs within a 2 1/2 hour car-ride from here, I can still show support for the team without having to line Roland's pockets. I don't usually attend so many away matches due to financial reasons, but I could easily attend all of these games if I wasn't committed to a Season Ticket.

It will be strange as I've had a ST since 1998, but I'm looking forward to a different experience.
  • Options

no point in boycotting...hit them in the pocket... Don't buy programmes etc

I bet RD is quivering in his boots..
    work out the finances....How many paying public go to games???

Do you think printers print programmes for nothing??

The club has sold the food and club shop to franchises

Therefore the only way you will any immediate impact on revenue streams is on sales of programmes...

The sale of a programme x7,000 with printing costs will have a hit on the monthly bottom line revenue stream
    I should think Katrien has already done the programme revenue enough damage with her revised sale arrangements. I doubt if they are printing more than 4,000 and cash sales will probably be 2,500-3,000 - a lot are given away with lounge packages, etc.
    More the Voice of the Valley then?
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Roland is used to getting reactions from his audience. His first book, "Joint stock company Belgium, a report to the share holders", gave rise to a political party which Wiki tells us stood for "Better seeking for alternatives than doing nothing in apathy". Pretty ironic going by the unhappiness he is serving up in SE7 that his second book was called "The road to more net domestic happiness". (See, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_Duchâtelet)

More ironically perhaps in the context of Charlton and the way he seems to run the club, his political party supports direct democracy. He says on his website:
    "Vivant also promotes direct democracy, by which the population can express its views on major questions of governance, independent of political persuasion. Furthermore, Vivant is fighting for greater personal freedom, higher regard for the environment and more effective organs of State. The rôle of Government, in Vivant’s view, is to assist and serve the citizen. Vivant does not pretend to have a solution for every problem. Vivant aims to set forth signposts, and promote ideas, leading to a better quality of life for the greatest number.

Roland DUCHATELET
    Founder and chairman of VIVANT"
    (Source: http://www.vivant.org/en)

So he probably thinks he is leading us the right way already and we don't need to worry him with our trivial concerns!

Personally I think the loss of Kermogant, then Chris Powell and then Morrison were key pivotal moments, which is why a lot of people here are still troubled by one or all of those events. Powell's return presents an opportunity for a meaningful (symbolic) protest. Empty seats at the £5 game will likely draw attention, and from those in the ground lots of "we want our Charlton back" that day, and some may even prefer "Chrissy Powell's red and white army", would probably help get the message out, if not across to RD and his cohort directly.

Of course a couple of good results before then and enough people will probably calm down enough to make Huddersfield's visit and talk of protest relatively meaningless. Regardless, i think in RD we have an unusual character who will be a tough nut to crack by conventional means.

• Options
    Of course a couple of good results before then and enough people will probably calm down enough to make Huddersfield's visit and talk of protest relatively meaningless. Regardless, i think in RD we have an unusual character who will be a tough nut to crack by conventional means.

Football fans are fickle and and maybe a few good results might persuade people otherwise but in the longterm i don't think it's about people calming down it's more about people losing interest and NOT coming back.

The Next home gane is against Norwich and is a Classified GOLD game which means an increase in the matchday price ticket for a non season ticket holder, after Todays game who would want to pay the extra for a game we could maybe lose.

I personally don't want an owner who you describe as a tough nut to crack but an owner who has the clubs best interests at heart.

I have no issue with your post but it's just my respone and how i feel.
  • Options
    I wouldn't boycott a game, why miss the chance to meet up with such good friends.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @Six-a-bag-of-nuts you can take the like off by clicking on it again.
  • Options

dickplumb said:

C4FC4L1f3 said:

Well don't fucking come back and bardge your way to the front of the que if there is a big cup game away from home and make someone who goes to at least most of the games during RD's tenure misses out because of someone like you who stays away all games. Not that in recent years we have had too many big cup games anyway.
    What, Preston in the JPT?
  • Options
    Stig said:

@Six-a-bag-of-nuts you can take the like off by clicking on it again.

Okay, thanks mate

• Options
    Steady on Lookie, there's no need to take this out on spreadsheets.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

C4FC4L1f3 said:

That's a real shame @Dick Plumb your credentials are absolutely not in question and you are one of the posters whose opinion I always look out for, especially on the youngsters coming through. But I understand your motivation not to go.
  • Options

dickplumb said:

dickplumb said:

C4FC4L1f3 said:

I have gone home and away for over forty years, so don't give me a lecture on my support because you have no idea. It is only the last four games I have missed. It is queue not que and barge not bardge. Don't worry I will not be barging to the front of the queue or que.

Sorry but turning your back and not going because of that makes you now officially disloyal regardless of 50 years of support.
    Do you know what "officially" means ? How could anyone be "officially" disloyal ?
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Well cutting off your nose to spite your face will have absolutely no affect on what the owner does i'm afraid. He really doesn't care what you or any fans do , just ask the Standard Liege fans. I suspect if you are staying away until things change you may well have seen your last game at The Valley which is very sad.

Nail on head, Beds.

My thoughts exactly.

This is not a nose off to spite face situation though fanny imo.

People are giving up a lot of their time and money to watch this tripe. They are not enjoying it. Just going through the motions. The
    dancafc said:

I think it's getting to the stage if charlton were playing at the bottom of my garden I'd shut the curtains

I would actually get a court order up and get them off my land.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

If any season ticket holder is planning to boycot, could I borrow there season tickets for the length of the boycot please?

You can have mine. £50 a game. For that you get, 90 mins of pure dross. I'll throw a pencil case, blanket and flask in though....you will get the ultimate match day experience then.
  • Options

The weird thing is, I feel like a 'boycott' out of apathy would be more effective than an angry one. We've seen how the protests over in Liege has done absolutely nothing to change Roland's mind.

Roland is all about money. The only thing that will wake him up is if his wallet takes a battering. As you say the Liege protests have done little to change his philosophy so it will serve us no purpose either. I'm not saying that people should boycott games, but maybe there's a way to hit is wallet without dropping support for the team. Merchandising and spending money within the ground on catering, beer, programs etc is one obvious way, maybe people can think about other ways too.

If people are serious about trying to make some kind of point, maybe something along these lines would work more than angry protests. I dunno.

Edit: Just read that @kentred2 suggested something along similar lines, sorry for not reading properly before posting.
    Save yourself WCA before you jump fully on the 'reading without posting' bandwagon! Remember, no one gives a monkeys if you read without posting! It's the ugly face of a narcissistic personality disorder! :-)