Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is it getting close to considering a boycott of a home game?

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2015
    I chose not to go yesterday. I have a season ticket so it wasn't about the money and due to the OCD that most of my family suffers from we will look to buy the programs from the game so that we can compete out sticker books, so the club will not suffer financially - by coincidence not intention.

However, I go with mt Dad and my son. My dad is away for six weeks (he'll also be away for Norwich and Brentford) and my son has lost interest as we play rubbish and don't seem to win anymore - he is ten and this is his first season.

My absence wasn't a protest, I just haven't enjoyed it recently and when I was making my decision to go, or not, (something I've never even thought about for the last 30 years) I realised that I found it a chore because there was no enjoyment (at all, as I was not seeing my dad) and I would have been happier staying at home watching SkySports News.

I was pleased when we scored, not really excited, but pleased but, sadly, it didn't register with me when we conceded. I just turned the TV off and got on with something else. Without intending for it to happen I've just, completely, lost interest in Charlton. I'll probably renew my season ticket because, with the exception of the ten weeks a year my dad is away, I love going to games with him. However, I, now, realise that it's his company that keeps me going, not the football on offer.

I don't think I'll go to Norwich or Brentford as my dad is still away. Hopefully by the time he comes back I will have a little more interest. A couple of decent signings might help that, but I'm sure that will happen.
  • Options

I would just like to throw in some thoughts on 'effective ' action. . At a pre-arranged time during the game, both sets of fans went totally silent. Then they suddenly switched themselves on again - and then set off such a barrage of flares .

Loving that. Obviously be the opposite for us though, and at the prearranged time we start making lots of noise (west stand included).

In all honesty Prague what you have described is not really us is it? We just pay our money. Watch the tripe that is served up. Wave our fists in the air in disgust when it's finished And say 'see you next week' to the fella sitting behind us when we leave.
    We do need to be more radical I agree. Problem is I just don't think we've got it in us!
  • Options
    C4FC4L1f3 said:

I will never boycott! I support Charlton Athletic Football CLUB!! and i voice my concerns in the Valley! if i feel inclined i may do it outside the main reception!

We could boycott the Brentford game? As we cant make it anyway! :smile:
  • Options
    dizzee said:

dickplumb said:

C4FC4L1f3 said:

I will never boycott! I support Charlton Athletic Football CLUB!! and i voice my concerns in the Valley! if i feel inclined i may do it outside the main reception!

I must obviously not be a proper fan because I will not go again until the Belgian's are gone. I have been a fan for fifty three years go to U18 and U21 games. Was a shareholder, VIP and Valley Gold member and Season Ticket holder. If you want to know how I feel read Steve Dixon's article in VOTV. What is the point in going to something that I get no pleasure from. I was just going because of a sense of duty. I feel that the only way I can protest at what is happening is to withdraw my custom.
    It really gives me no pleasure. I miss the trips away and my days at the Valley, but I will not change until the owners start to listen to the fans.

Well don't fucking come back and bardge your way to the front of the que if there is a big cup game away from home and make someone who goes to at least most of the games during RD's tenure misses out because of someone like you who stays away all games. Not that in recent years we have had too many big cup games anyway.
    What, Preston in the JPT?
    JPT is regionalised and only at Wembley would we possibly play Preston.
  • Options
    I understand the reasoning behind a boycott but that just won't work with this mob. Non-stop protests need to happen at every home game until he sells up.
  • Options
    Just woke up from a dream where the fans bought the club led by @Goonerhater hater and @Airman Brown kids woke me up b3fore i found out who it turned out. Premonition?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I love Prague's example, but I can't see it working for us. The tv cameras are in the east and we never get the ball anywhere near the goal, that means that we'll be looking to those in the centre of the West Stand to set off flares. That would mean that we're looking for Katrien and Keith Peacock to be the advance guard in our protest. Can't see it happening.

On a more serious note, I do wonder if a boycott of Valley Gold would have more effect. I know it's easy for me to say because I'm not a member, but I think it could be a way of withdrawing financial support to Roland and showing discontent. I know that some supporters see their unbroken line of VG membership as a badge of honour and that it may be difficult for them. But lets face it, the way we're playing it's not going to make ticket purchases any more difficult, is it?
  • Options
    Stig said:

I love Prague's example, but I can't see it working for us. The tv cameras are in the east and we never get the ball anywhere near the goal, that means that we'll be looking to those in the centre of the West Stand to set off flares. That would mean that we're looking for Katrien and Keith Peacock to be the advance guard in our protest. Can't see it happening.

On a more serious note, I do wonder if a boycott of Valley Gold would have more effect. I know it's easy for me to say because I'm not a member, but I think it could be a way of withdrawing financial support to Roland and showing discontent. I know that some supporters see their unbroken line of VG membership as a badge of honour and that it may be difficult for them. But lets face it, the way we're playing it's not going to make ticket purchases any more difficult, is it?

Valley Gold is a separate entity and would not effect the day in day out financial running of the football club.
  • Options
    Stig said:

I love Prague's example, but I can't see it working for us.

You are right about the TV cameras position. What about a "silent" protest, though, perhaps with some support from Huddersfield fans? A minute of silence during the game, perhaps with our backs to the game, and as many as possible wearing black?

• Options

You are right about the TV cameras position. What about a "silent" protest, though, perhaps with some support from Huddersfield fans? A minute of silence during the game, perhaps with our backs to the game, and as many as possible wearing black?

How will anyone be able to distinguish one minute's silent from another at that fixture? It won't be a cauldron of noise after all. Any 'action' on the pitch would interfere too.

"Chrissy Powell's red and white army", over and over will have maximum protest value imo.
  • Options
    If we did this, but made it a dirty protest that should create enough of a stink to get the message across.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't personally agree with boycotting games as draw or lose I will always turn up regardless. What we could do would be to boycott purchasing anything from the club on a match day no buying from the shop, buy no food, program, drink, raffle tickets for a certain match.
  • Options

I don't personally agree with boycotting games as draw or lose I will always turn up regardless. What we could do would be to boycott purchasing anything from the club on a match day no buying from the shop, buy no food, program, drink, raffle tickets for a certain match.

That's what I have suggested above. Let's do it for the Huddersfield game.
  • Options

I don't personally agree with boycotting games as draw or lose I will always turn up regardless. What we could do would be to boycott purchasing anything from the club on a match day no buying from the shop, buy no food, program, drink, raffle tickets for a certain

That's what I have suggested above. Let's do it for the Huddersfield game.
    I'm in, the pies are shit anyway!!!
  • Options
    Think You would have to print leaflets advising fans of any intention to protest. I like the idea of doing something though. My sons 8 & 5 don't want to watch the games anymore. They now claim to support West Ham because they are embarrassed to say they support charlton and that breaks my heart. Thought when I retired in 30 years time I would still be going to the games with them and any grandsons I may have, but they've made it clear they don't like charlton. Cheers Roland.
  • Options
    I think boycotting games will alienate those who feel it hurts the club long term, and the team on the day. i don't think the Trust can get behind that particular action for that reason. Same goes for boycotting Valley Gold, I think.

But maybe not buying the programme and other periphery stuff such as food and raffles is fair enough, but not enough on its own. We need a big visual statement of some kind, as people have said above, that gets back to Liege.
  • Options
    For many years, my family have attended The Valley. I have bought all the season tickets. On the day, leaving the pub, we would go to the ground and buy 2 programmes. We would have more drinks at the ground and had food there beforecthe game and at half time. Sometimes we would buy merchandise in the shop. After what has happened lately my family and I have decided to not give any money to the network. Yesterday, all we bought was 1programme, nothing else was bought. Next season we won't buy any season tickets and will only turn up for the odd 'fancied' game. Will reconsider when RD changes his plans.
  • Options
    If you was to boycott doesn't mean your not a fan, that is a ridiculous statement. By doing so your trying to send a message and do something about how the club is being run!!!
  • Options
    I thought we played a lot better yesterday and looked very well organised and determined. We all know we need a big centre forward who will also help defending set pieces.

In div 1 SCP gave us a team that every time we played I thought we could win. Now I hope.

However, this team is nowhere near the worst team I have watched. The owner is not the worst, the manager not the worst. But there is a lack of confidence. Two games unbeaten. First rule of a recovery is stop losing.

Before we start on the negative stuff, should we not try something positive? We could also try making our own entertainment 'till the players catch up.

Wear red?fancy dress? We do have a larger than life character managing the side - could we get a song that goes with jumping up and down and waiving your arms about?

Lets all do the Luzon, let's all Luzon, le la la la, le la la la.

Whatever, I will still be going and supporting. Seen it all before and it just makes the good times all the sweeter.