Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is it getting close to considering a boycott of a home game?

Comments

• Options
    C
    stevec said:

Boycotts achieve nothing. I live out of the UK and the only thing I miss is watching my team. You have the opportunity to follow and support Charlton where don't anymore so please remember this, don't throw it all away.

Proper change is only brought by protest
  • Options
    kentred2 said:

C

stevec said:

Boycotts achieve nothing. I live out of the UK and the only thing I miss is watching my team. You have the opportunity to follow and support Charlton where don't anymore so please remember this, don't throw it all away.

Disagree

Proper change is only brought about by action
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Nothing will change Roland's mind until he decides that he is losing too much money and even then he will probably just rework the spreadsheet for a while. We will have to wait until he discovers a new shiny toy to unwrap and play with and chucks his football experiment in the bin. We can only help by refusing to give him money.
  • Options
    sense- and probably as a direct consequence he or his executives can't communicate where they are taking

He doesn't have any executives, just mouthpieces.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

As Shankly once said...

"If you can't support us when we lose or draw, then don't support us when we win!"

Same applys to us now.

Not about results for me, it's about being treated as a minor Belgian colony.

As Shankly once said...

"If you can't support us when we lose or draw, then don't support us when we win!"

Same applys to us now.

There is a lot more to this than the team losing or drawing a few games...

As Shankly once said...

Same applys to us now.

You really think this is just about results? I guess you haven't read the whole of this thread.

Ok then, if you can't support us with an unliked owner and board then don't support us with a liked owner and board.
    What would you think if we were bought by a fizzy drink company, played in white, had our crest changed, were called South London Red Bulls and changed The Valley to Red Bull Stadium?
  • Options

kentred2 said:

C

stevec said:

Disagree

Totally agree!
  • Options

kentred2 said:

C

stevec said:

Disagree

And passive action changed nothing
  • Options

Nothing will change Roland's mind until he decides that he is losing too much money and even then he will probably just rework the spreadsheet for a while. We will have to wait until he discovers a new shiny toy to unwrap and play with and chucks his football experiment in the bin. We can only help by refusing to give him money.

Spot on. Yes one thing we can do immediately and individually.
  • Options
    kentred2 said:

kentred2 said:

C

stevec said:

Disagree

That's an oxymoron
  • Options

kentred2 said:

kentred2 said:

C

stevec said:

Disagree

That's an oxymoron
    No. Duscussion is passive. A boycott is not.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lots of people coming up with lots of ideas for forms of protest, but only one appears to have articulated what they actually want as a result of the "protest" ( @swords_alive ) which for me is by far the most important thing.
  • Options
    kentred2 said:

kentred2 said:

kentred2 said:

C

stevec said:

Disagree

That's an oxymoron
    No. Duscussion is passive. A boycott is not.
    "passive action" is an oxymoron.

Discussion isn't action I agree.
  • Options
    I would like to see a concerted walk out of the stadium at a specific time. I think if you could get a few thousand to do this it would send a message to the watching Meira. This might also get her around the table with the ST and other interested people.
  • Options

kentred2 said:

C

stevec said:

Disagree

Change must come through the barrel of a gun...but that might be a little bit too extreme in these circumstances.

The point's been made already but before brainstorming around ways to make one's point there needs to be a very clear point to make. And I'm not sure we're all agreed, or even halfway to agreeing what that might be.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

As Shankly once said...

Same applys to us now.

As Shankly once said...

Same applys to us now.

As Shankly once said...

Same applys to us now.

You really think this is just about results? I guess you haven't read the whole of this thread.

Ok then, if you can't support us with an unliked owner and board then don't support us with a liked owner and board.
    What would you think if we were bought by a fizzy drink company, played in white, had our crest changed, were called South London Red Bulls and changed The Valley to Red Bull Stadium?
    To be fair do reckon it's only a matter of time to when The Valley gets a sponsorship deal meaning it becomes known as the that compnay's stadium. Lots of clubs have done it.
  • Options
    Maybe sustained pelters and ridicule would help from each person as they see fit, sustained match after match. I will continue to go, but will probably end up trying to poison the Valley so called atmosphere game after game, just as the present regime is poisoning the club and my enjoyment.
    What it the opposite of ultras, nultras? Perhaps we will become 'anti-fans' whose' job is not to create a sea of red but a sea of sarcasm and bile, not to 'get behind the boys and make some noise' but to undermine and disturb as much as possible.
    Instead of a season ticket boycott, buy one and turn up and make your feelings clear. Not blind loyalty, but eyes wide open disloyalty.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

To be fair do reckon it's only a matter of time to when The Valley gets a sponsorship deal meaning it becomes known as the that compnay's stadium. Lots of clubs have done it.

I'm not that against naming of stadiums. Most clubs in Germany do it and it helps subsidise cheaper tickets.

Anyway, my point was that we wouldn't be the same club. Some people already feel that way.
  • Options

As Shankly once said...

Same applys to us now.

As Shankly once said...

Same applys to us now.

As Shankly once said...

Same applys to us now.

"You"? ........."Us"? ......................
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    As many have said, ticket sales will collapse anyway unless things improve dramatically. The low crowds at Selhurst were not primarily due to people staying away on principle, but because more people just didn't want to go. The effect was all the more powerful, because they couldn't be won back except by a return to The Valley.

An organised boycott would badly split the people who are unhappy with Duchatelet, so we need something more creative that a majority can get behind.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

As many have said, ticket sales will collapse anyway unless things improve dramatically. The low crowds at Selhurst were not primarily due to people staying away on principle, but because more people just didn't want to go. The effect was all the more powerful, because they couldn't be won back except by a return to The Valley.

An organised boycott would badly split the people who are unhappy with Duchatelet, so we need something more creative that a majority can get behind.

I started this thread and from comments on it, it's fairly obvious that a boycott probably isn't on at the moment.

But we can't carry on like this. All that is going to lead to is relegation and season ticket renewals falling off the edge of a cliff. So what is this "more creative" approach you suggest? What approach is the Voice going to call for? Or do we have to wait until February 14 to find out? :-)
  • Options
    edited February 2015

I started this thread and from comments on it, it's fairly obvious that a boycott probably isn't on at the moment.

But we can't carry on like this. All that is going to lead to is relegation and season ticket renewals falling off the edge of a cliff. So what is this "more creative" approach you suggest? What approach is the Voice going to call for? Or do we have to wait until February 14 to find out? :-)
    Any ideas will need wider advocacy than just the Voice and to be the subject of broader discussion and agreement, for example with the trust, to be effective, and that is what will happen.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I'll put my two pennorth in here, but I can't claim to have the answer on what, who or when to boycott, or what direction the action should take. However, there are two suggestions I'd like to throw in the ring.

1. RD has made it perfectly clear that he's not prepared to talk or listen directly to fans concerns, therefore I would suggest the target of any action would be his communication tool within the club, i.e, KM. Her shoulders should feel the burden, and if effective she should feed it up the chain. Nothing on a personal level but something professionally constructed which will make RD sit up.

2. I would suggest to achieve this that the different supporters' club factions/trusts etc., put aside their differences to approach this.

Only suggestions.
  • Options
    I was thinking of doing something completely different and somehow makes use of the social network because the club can't control this.
    To work, any form of protest needs to be done on a regular basis and needs a large majority participating. Eventually people would still buy food and drink from the ground and merchandise from the club, so I have reservations about this working.
    I would guess SL fans has tried these methods with little success so I'm not suggesting my idea would work but might create a long term strateg, built up over time. Hopefully it would gain popularity and media attention.
    Perhaps some funny YouTube films which make a joke of the ownership or stuff on twitter. Some people are more inventive than me but as everyone knows social media can reach people quickly.
  • Options
    IT_Andy said:

I was thinking of doing something completely different and somehow makes use of the social network because the club can't control this.
    To work, any form of protest needs to be done on a regular basis and needs a large majority participating. Eventually people would still buy food and drink from the ground and merchandise from the club, so I have reservations about this working.
    I would guess SL fans has tried these methods with little success so I'm not suggesting my idea would work but might create a long term strateg, built up over time. Hopefully it would gain popularity and media attention.
    Perhaps some funny YouTube films which make a joke of the ownership or stuff on twitter. Some people are more inventive than me but as everyone knows social media can reach people quickly.

Ridicule is quite a powerful weapon.
  • Options
    Perhaps some amusing film highlighting some very poor signings. Also doing things like this could be an enjoyable way of poking fun at the club, without it directly affecting the players, whom we all want to succeed.
  • Options
    The team would need to know in advance ? viaJJ that any form of proposed action is being done in support of them and CAFC, and is purely against Roland''s Notwork.
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:

What would happen if at a prearranged time (a certain amount of minutes after kickoff at the Huddersfield match) everyone returned to the concourses? The atmosphere in the enclosed spaces is always good for a sing song and building camaraderie. Then after 15 minutes, or a certain amount of time, everyone returns. The effect of everyone disappearing for a large amount of time, will be effective, symbolically, and I think generate interest amongst supporters not immediately involved (where's everyone going? I can hear them, etc. Oh that's what it's about!).

It might be a good way to start.

Nice idea but by the time everyone gets out of the East Stand the bloody game would have finished anyway. Bloody place is a nightmare to get out of.
  • Options
    This bloke is up for it.