Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Clarkson suspended by Beeb - Top Gear off air this weekend

Comments

• Options
    Prediction: Hammond & May walk at the end of their contracts, all 3 get snapped up by another channel and the Beeb waves goodbye to 100s of millions of pounds.
  • Options
    Chris Evans ruled himself out as replacement ... pity, he's one of the few that could have taken it on without too much problem
  • Options
    Any truth in the rumour that Chris Evans is taking over?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Hard to argue with the BBC decision, especially as Clarkson has admitted punching the producer himself.

'It was not disputed by Jeremy Clarkson or any witness that Oisin Tymon was the victim of anunprovoked physical and verbal attack.'
  • Options
    Gutted but you cant defend his actions sadly.
  • Options
    Big northern Jessie. Half a minute of uncontested punching and he still couldn't put him down ;-)
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Prediction: Hammond & May walk at the end of their contracts, all 3 get snapped up by another channel and the Beeb waves goodbye to 100s of millions of pounds.

Just seen Sky TV loading a lorry up with gold bars and putting Clarkson's postcode in the Sat Nav :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They're not even sacking him, they're just not renewing his contract, so they can't even claim any kind of moral high ground over this. What a shower.
  • Options
    Chris Evans campaigned very, very hard to get the presenting gig on Sky Sports F1 (the job that Simon Lazenby does). Not surprised he'd go after Top Gear. I think he'd be a good fit.
  • Options
    Now I'm not one that thinks every person who punches someone should face criminal charges, but if the reports that he beat the guy for 30 seconds and hospitalised him in an unprovoked attack are true should Tymon not be considering that course of action?
  • Options
    Shame but the correct decision I think in this circumstance. You've made some stinkers in your time Beeb but not this time.

Love Top Gear, it was tired and jaded and the three presenters will go onto other things now. Time for a reboot for the program.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Gutted but you cant defend his actions sadly.

My feelings as well.

Having said that, the programme did need a bit of a refresh, but with Clarkson going, if Hammond, May and exec producer Wilman leave, it would be virtually a new show.

Clarkson writes for The Sun and Sunday Times, it'll be interesting what they do or say - in normal circumstances "BBC star punches junior" would cause a massive outcry in The Sun.
  • Options
    And what is the betting that the producer joins them when they all move to Sky? Still think its all too convenient
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    They should get Dermot O'dreary to replace him.

A boring try hard with no personality, replaced by a boring try hard with no personality. Perfect.
  • Options
    The amount of coverage devoted to this affair by the BBC is ridiculous .. Clarkson is talented but in a restricted way, a braggart and an unpleasant drunk .. he's now gotta find some new mug of an organisation to pay him lots for being a lampoon/caricature of himself .. let's move on down the road .. in top gear ((:>)
  • Options

The amount of coverage devoted to this affair by the BBC is ridiculous .. Clarkson is talented but in a restricted way, a braggart and an unpleasant drunk .. he's now gotta find some new mug of an organisation to pay him lots for being a lampoon/caricature of himself .. let's move on down the road .. in top gear ((:>)

ITV or SKY then.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

They're not even sacking him, they're just not renewing his contract, so they can't even claim any kind of moral high ground over this. What a shower.

I think I read somewhere that Clarkson had threatened to sue the BBC if he got the tin tack.

Quite neat, then, to merely not renew his contract as it was running out (possibly in 6 days time) anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Programme is over without him, regardless of his replacement he will move to another channel and create another spin off be paid bundles and move on,
  • Options
    Expect Maximum Velocity or some other pants name to pop up by the turn of the year presented by all 3 of them
  • Options

Programme is over without him, regardless of his replacement he will move to another channel and create another spin off be paid bundles and move on,

In it's current form, I would agree. James May has already stated that he doubts he will continue as 'for very complicated reasons' the three of them together make the show what it is. Hard to disagree. I would expect Top Gear to continue, but it will be a different show to what it was in the Clarkson years. Some will see that as a positive. Personally, I'll miss it and if the three end up on another similar show together, I'll definitely check it out.
  • Options
    Sounds like all three will be replaced. A huge headache for the BBC - how do they keep the cash cow going without it's stars?
  • Options
    I guess the decision was unavoidable due to hitting someone at work.

However, bullying and over-pressure by managers happens all over the country everyday (overlooked by HR, as they are normally influenced by management) and nothing happens - although the long term effect can be worse that a slap.
  • Options
    We have a rule in my business all complaints go to the hr manager, and if the hr manager brings it to my attention I sack the hr mgr,

No complaints so far 8)
  • Options
    What is the world coming too when two fellas can't have a bit of 'hand bags' without one getting sacked.
    Bloody nanny state.
  • Options
    seems really excessive to me considering how popular the show is and how many didn't want it to happen,

May consider not paying my licence fee for the tenth yr running now I mean what's the point,