Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Simon Church

Comments

• Options
    We'll see at the end of the season how is performances are. I still think he'll be released but I'm a fan of his work rate.
  • Options
    Peter_G said:

shirty5 said:

New contract: Heart says one more year, but Head says no. Find a decent Championship/League one club and start afresh.

If Church had missed that sitter from Eagles he would have been crucified by the home crowd.

You're right. But on watt I saw today, I'd give Church a new deal rather than Eagles.
    But what you saw today was Eagles played out of position.

• Options
    I am happy for Church, but I would be surprised if he was here next Season. IMO we still need the option of a big man who gives us a more physical option. We didn't have anybody upfront yesterday who can head the ball. I heard that Eagles was disappointing, playing up top.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

It's official - we have some of the most apologetic and easily pleased fans going.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    dickplumb said:

I am happy for Church, but I would be surprised if he was here next Season. IMO we still need the option of a big man who gives us a more physical option. We didn't have anybody upfront yesterday who can head the ball. I heard that Eagles was disappointing, playing up top.

@dickplumb Eagles tried hard to play the killer ball but it never came off for him, struggled to hold the ball up giving away possession too often and to cap it all missed an absolute sitter with his nut second half. I still think CE is worth a punt next year though if his wage demands are reasonable.
  • Options
    This guy must go.
    His agent touted him as a 20 goal a season striker when he joined us.
    Not sure he will get to 20 in 3 seasons.

His goal against Blackpool was his first league goal since Nov 2013.

PEOPLE........... WE CAN DO BETTER FOR OUR £ ??? GRAND A WEEK.

• Options
    I like what I'm seeing at the moment, but I'm conscious of the fact that he has disappointed in the past (in terms of scoring - though never in effort). I'd hold back on offering a contract right now, but if things are still going as well at the end of April, then it would be great to retain him.
  • Options
    good luck to him .. scoring in consecutive games .. CAFC fans have waited a looooooooong time for this Simon .. keep it up me old cocker
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I reckon Churchy has already been told he won't get a new contract at the end of the season, and that's why he is showing a bit of a bad attitude towards the fans when he scores. Fact is, he has mostly been dogshit during his time with us. True, a lot of that has been in a side struggling for form and attaching creativity but a better player would have made more of his chances. He really earned the nickname Spongefoot with his under-powered shooting when chances did come his way. Despite that, I think that the vast majority of and have been pleased to see him get some game time and to make the most of it - why wouldn't we? IMHO he would be better advised to enjoy the moment rather than sticking out his bottom lip and giving us the metaphoric finger. He is playing for a contract somewhere, if not at Charlton, and the ability to take the knocks and have a rapport with the fans goes a long way.
  • Options
    So, when he scored, he sucked his thumb. I saw another player do the same last night on either MOTD or The FLS.
    What does it mean/refer to ?
  • Options

So, when he scored, he sucked his thumb. I saw another player do the same last night on either MOTD or The FLS.

I always thought it was a dedication to their small children or very young relatives.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

People have judged church with his performances under powell, with the hoof ball up to Kermorgant. We didn't have the wide players that we have now.
    The style of football we play now is more suited to church. He will get more chances, he'll get more confident. So yes keep him another season. He's done nothing wrong with his last 3 or 4 appearances.

Exactly.

Church playing up front on his own would perhaps average 1 chance every other game, with little service or support.
    Confidence then becomes an issue, snatching at each rare opportunity rather than being composed.

Even the Tony Watt's of this world aren't able to convert more than around 1 out of 3 chances.
    And he's scored, what ...... 4 in around 15 or 16 appearances?

Church had 2 chances yesterday: one was saved well by their keeper, the other he scored.
    At Blackpool the other night, he did very well to control, turn and score with a defender all over him.

As Steve says, put Churchy in a side that's creating plenty of chances.
    He'll convert a decent number of them.

He didn't play up front on his own very often though. Usually started alongside Yann and sometimes Sordell from what I can remember. He looked poor in a struggling side. Put Igor or Watt into a team like that and I think they'd still stand out.

Part of the reason the midfield is more of a threat is because we have strikers that cause problems for defenders. The ball also sticks up front more, giving the midfield more chances to get forward.

I defended him early on in the season as I felt he did quite well away at Brighton, playing alongside a goalscorer in Igor. Peeters could have used him more (same with Wilson and Morrison) but we should be looking to improve the squad in the summer with strikers that can challenge Watt and Igor. Church isn't likely to ever be anything more than back up.

You could make a similar case for Pigott, who has a decent scoring record at Southend and is probably a more natural finisher. KAG, Tucudean, Reza and Piotr are also under contract next season. They would all look better in this team. I don't think we should rush into giving Church another year after 2 goals against the worst Championship team in recent years and his former club.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    cafc4life said:

I'd give him another year, thought personally that eagles has looked shit. Too busy worrying about his tan

Was chris eagles shit when scoring against Wigan and Blackpool ?

Nothing came off for him yesterday. it happens, wasn't for lack of effort,
    The headed miss capped off a bad day, i see him more as cover for Bulot or JBG
    or use as striker in away games which suits his style of play.

Both Church and Eagles have a chance of being retained if wage demand are lowish ?
    Harder for Chris who was on a Prem wage at Bolton. Neither would start if present team are kept together.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

No. Two good games don't make up for 30-40+ awful ones. He won't progress us, we're better off allowing Karlan Ahearne Grant to come into the squad as a back up if need be.

He was awful in a shocking team last year. With better players, he looks a different player
  • Options
    If money was not an issue, then perhaps, but as it stands I doubt he'll be around next season. Effort counts for a lot - effort married to quality goes even further, and as Watt and Vetokele both show that combination is around if you are willing to pay for it. He's looked better recently but Simon Church in good form/morale is decent instead of crap, I really think that Roland, KM and Guy will be/should be aspiring higher. He'll find a club but I don't think Charlton are it.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

It's a gangsta symbol, just one step down from having a tear tattooed on your face :wink:
  • Options
    To compete at the top end of the championship you need four strikers you can throw in even if it's just for a couple games! Assuming we keep Watt and Vetokele then we need someone who can offer something different.. A striker with more height with ability in the air! I would be more than happy to have Church as fourth choice we could do worse! With our owner we will never pay top dollar for four top quality strikers! so the fourth choice will have to be a bit of a compromise! The trouble is I'm not sure Church will want to be a back up or bench warmer! He needs game time for his career! Will do well at lower champ top league one! And I expect we will end up with a combination of KAG Ansah and Pigott as fourth choice!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chris Eagles basically won the penalty on Sat.
  • Options
    Winner at Millwall...

...Simon Church Charlton legend.

Stranger things have happened!
  • Options

Gonna take more than a 2 yard tap-in to convince me.............

The goal at Blackpool was a very good finish, and a thunderbolt by his standards!
  • Options
    To be honest I doubt he'd accept another contract, particularly if its just 1 year.
  • Options
    I just remember him going through one on one against Burnley last year at home. Unfortunately that is the real Simon Church. He's had the goal on Sat practically made for him by Watt, he missed a decent chance before that. I don't think we need him next year, so would be happy if he wasn't offered a new contract
  • Options
    he couldn't miss his chance on Saturday, he's a willing runner and always tries hard, but he's simply not good enough for us if we have any thoughts of wanting to chase the play-offs next season.

Whether he's retained or not, may give us some idea.
  • Options
    If he bags the winner against Millwall we can all sing his name one last time before he moves on at the end of the season having been a hard working servant of the club, even if things haven't always on his way.

I truly believe he has the ability to be a 15/20 goal a season Championship striker, it just won't be at Charlton. I wish it was.
  • Options
    I'm pleased for him - and for us - that he got a couple of goals last week and I have always respected Churchy's work rate. The brutal truth, however, is that he only managed three league goals last season and he is a very poor finisher. In my opinion, his true level is League 1 and that's where I expect to see him playing next season.
  • Options

he couldn't miss his chance on Saturday, he's a willing runner and always tries hard, but he's simply not good enough for us if we have any thoughts of wanting to chase the play-offs next season.

Whether he's retained or not, may give us some idea.

This is probably the main issue ... he could do well at the right club
  • Options
    Would like to see Church stay but something tells me this isn't going to happen which I will be sorry to see.Yes he has had some poor games but hasn't every player and I couldn't see Saturday's chance be described a miss but a good save from the keeper which I'm sure most would say if that would of been Watt or Igor but then that is just the unfair criticism that's been aimed at Church for most of his time at Charlton.I really do think the style and set up of play changes how a player performs just like it's been mentioned earlier under different managers.I was really looking forwArd to him starting Saturday but was disappointed he didn't,for me I hope he gets a new contract and continues to get game time the rest of this season.It was mentioned earlier by someone about his reaction to the fans which to me is exactly what the boo boys have deserved to be honest but no no mention of the fact he clapped the supporters after scoring Saturday.