Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Simon Church

Comments

• Options
    Addickted said:

I've been trying to create positivety around church to lots of mates and once or twice on here but I'm fed up now. He's got great positioning and work rate but his finishing is too poor for the championship. You can tell he has good positioning as he gets quite a number of good chances but so many times he misses sitters or one-on-ones that are easier to score than for the goalkeeper to save. He's been given plenty of chances and shockingly fans have been less mocking of him lately so I can't justify myself blaming it on poor confidence anymore.

Scored more goals in recent weeks than Igor

I feel Church could score in 5/6 games in a row and than go one game without scoring and people will be saying get rid again
    IMO he is much improved under Luzon and people might disagree but again IMO has played better than Igor over the past month and a half
    Absolutely awful yesterday.

My dad said when he was subbed y'day he just walked off down the tunnel. What's his problem. I knw he runs his heart out for the team, but I heard he was shocking y'day as well. I think Luzon has been more than fair with him since coming in, giving him a chance. He can fuck right off if that's his attitude now. He's not good enough, he's lucky Luzon's even considering him.
  • Options
    Truly sad to say this as I've always had a soft spot for Church but I really think it's time we parted ways.
  • Options
    Has anyone else ever been so pissed off at themselves for something they did/didn't do at work that they didn't want to talk to anyone at least for a short while?
  • Options
    How do we know he didn't go straight down the tunnel due to an injury? Or a family member was taken ill and he had to leave immediately to be with them? Has anyone at the club or in the media confirmed either way? If it was Solly or Cousins everyone would be making every excuse under the sun for them, I mean look at the sending off at Millwank....
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

How do we know he didn't go straight down the tunnel due to an injury? Or a family member was taken ill and he had to leave immediately to be with them? Has anyone at the club or in the media confirmed either way? If it was Solly or Cousins everyone would be making every excuse under the sun for them, I mean look at the sending off at Millwank....

But Cousins or Solly haven't done it.....Why are so many fans making excuses for this guy?
  • Options
    cafctom said:

sam3110 said:

But Cousins or Solly haven't done it.....Why are so many fans making excuses for this guy?
    Because he is a Charlton player
    As a Charlton fan I would support him all the way as I would do anyone else who puts that shirt on
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He ain't very good, too inconsistent, runs a lot, trys hard ain't worked out thanks churchy, good luck god bless no malice, and the next one comes in to try again
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    sam3110 said:

Not sure we can blame Solly for the referee thinking the ball hitting you in the face is a red card...

And if I had to hazard a guess as to why Simon Church was subbed on Saturday it wouldn't be that a loved one was suddenly afflicted with a mystery illness which meant he had to immediately take off his shirt and sprint down the tunnel to be at their bedside, if's far more likely that he was subbed because he was dreadful - as he has been most of his career at Charlton.

Hopefully that's the last of him and we can spend the remaining games using players who will actually be here next season, including giving some experience to some of the youngsters who are ready to handle it (KAG etc).
  • Options
    Church was particularly bad on Saturday and should have no complaints at being subbed.
  • Options
    Someone said he came back out later, and sat on the bench.

Perhaps, when he was substituted, he was hot and sweaty, and didn't want to sit in his own stink? And went for a quick shower?

It may have been something as simple as that...
  • Options
    Thing is people are clamouring for KAG to be used but if he does then everyone has to be understanding that he may not get the goals this season and that he should be given time

After his impressive cameo against Fulham on TV everyone wanted to see him given a shot but when he started the following week the talk on here was that he's not ready and that he may not even make it at this level
  • Options
    edited April 2015

cafctom said:

sam3110 said:

Because he is a Charlton player
    As a Charlton fan I would support him all the way as I would do anyone else who puts that shirt on
    And takes it off in a strop....;-)
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Thing is people are clamouring for KAG to be used but if he does then everyone has to be understanding that he may not get the goals this season and that he should be given time

After his impressive cameo against Fulham on TV everyone wanted to see him given a shot but when he started the following week the talk on here was that he's not ready and that he may not even make it at this level

I'm not sure that anyone is expecting him to score a shed load of goals, the phrase that's being used is "to gain experience".

It's very rare that you'll have a clear 4/5 league games that don't count for a huge amount in the grand scheme of things and we should try and get the most from the opportunity* - giving Simon Church more chances to fail would be a waste of that opportunity.

*note I'm not suggesting we pick the youth team for every game, we should still be sending out a team capable of winning the match.
  • Options
    Simon Church is one of the hardest working players in the squad. Unfortunately he is played as a striker and he doesn't seem to have the instinct for the role.
    At the start of this season, when things weren't going well, i wanted to see him used as a wide midfield/channel runner type of player. But we had little choice of strikers at the time, so Simon got the role.
    It's been fairly obvious he will leave at the end of his contract, for a while. I wish him well and hope he gets fixed up somewhere else. It hasn't worked great for him at Charlton, but I thank him for his effort.
    In view of our situation and the constant talk of Vetokele carrying an injury I'd be happy for him to continue to play some part, until the season end. Finishing with a cameo during the Bournemouth game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Goodbye Simon
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

I do not have a big problem with players showing that they are peed off after being substituted, it shows they care. It is players that want to come off I have a problem with.

Aaah, Marcus Bent ........ give me Church any day and he was a lot cheaper
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

dickplumb said:

I do not have a big problem with players showing that they are peed off after being substituted, it shows they care. It is players that want to come off I have a problem with.

Aaah, Marcus Bent ........ give me Church any day and he was a lot cheaper
    Agree with both these comments. I reckon he knew he had missed an opportunity at Hillsboro and was frustrated with himself, rather than angry with Luzon. It was obvious Tony W would be coming on. The fans had started singing Ole ole ten minutes earlier. In those 10 mins Simon had a couple of bad "ball control issues". That's the thing with Churchy, things don't quite come off just a wee bit too often. He will get a club at our level and I predict that one day he will score at the Valley much to his pleasure.
  • Options
    I personally like Church and his game. Often, by running all over the place draws defenders out and creates space for others.

Do we honestly have a better 3rd striker in the team ? No. I'd be happy to give him another season in a team which will be hopefully challenging for playoff's going on recent form.
  • Options
    Krazy8 said:

I personally like Church and his game. Often, by running all over the place draws defenders out and creates space for others.

Do we honestly have a better 3rd striker in the team ? No. I'd be happy to give him another season in a team which will be hopefully challenging for playoff's going on recent form.

No, not now. But get rid of him and we free up space on the wage bill so we can try and find a better striker for next season. Surely we should be looking to improve the squad year on year ?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    No problem with players being hacked off at being subbed but they at least have to have justification for getting the hook. In all fairness, what is Church's ?
    I like him but best for all if he makes a fresh start elsewhere and we blood a youngster. As a previous poster said, when do you get to play yoof in competitive first team league games with nothing on the results. Good opportunity.
  • Options
    Signed for MK Franchise
  • Options
    Great signing.
  • Options
    Good luck to him, but mad decision by Dons.