Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Simon Church

Comments

• Options
    Church is away with Wales now but anyone know who else has been called up for international duty from Charlton this time around?
  • Options

If he bags the winner against Millwall we can all sing his name one last time before he moves on at the end of the season having been a hard working servant of the club, even if things haven't always on his way.

I truly believe he has the ability to be a 15/20 goal a season Championship striker, it just won't be at Charlton. I wish it was.

He'll never be a 15-20 goal a season player at this level, but then hardly ANY Charlton strikers have got that many goals at this level.
  • Options
    His running off the ball made a difference on Saturday and Reading had more to worry about than just Watt. While Church isn't a great player, he has always tried his best. I felt sorry for him last year; he had no service and a crap team behind him. Funnily enough, one of his better games was against Brighton at home, when he played up front with Kermorgant and we had largely a full strength team. I never understand why players that try their best are castigated.
  • Options
    For some reason I've always said to people there is something about Church that makes me see a possible goal machine in him, but I think it'll be hard for him now as most fans rip into him constantly. But personally I have faith in him so keep him just a little longer I say.
  • Options

Church is away with Wales now but anyone know who else has been called up for international duty from Charlton this time around?

I was wondering this myself. Gomez says he is off with England, not sure what team, Is Fox with Wales under 21, if they have a game. I have asked the comms team, hope they put something up on the OS
  • Options

For some reason I've always said to people there is something about Church that makes me see a possible goal machine in him, but I think it'll be hard for him now as most fans rip into him constantly. But personally I have faith in him so keep him just a little longer I say.

Goal machine is maybe a tad strong ;)
  • Options

So the reason he's not been a 'goal machine' is because of the fans?

Charlton fans are typically very easy to get along with as far as support goes when you compare us to the likes of Millwall, Leeds etc.

Stop making excuses for him. He has had more than enough games to prove himself and hasn't been anywhere consistent enough.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Charlton fans are typically very easy to get along with as far as support goes when you compare us to the likes of Millwall, Leeds etc.

Stop making excuses for him. He has had more than enough games to prove himself and hasn't been anywhere consistent enough.
    I said it'll make it hard for him 'now' not when his first chances came.
    It just annoys me that many charlton 'fans' will watch a player (particularly strikera) for 5 or 10 games and deem them poor on those performances. Then totally abuse said player for the remaining time at the club.
    Whenever Church comes on everytime he touches the ball many fans jeer at him, how is that fair on him? If every single time you did anything at work and were abused for it you'd probably start to preform worse as you'd be nervous and pressured to perform.
    Pressure can be good e.g when 3 strikers have to battle it out for those 2 spaces in the starting 11, but abusive pressure helps in absolutely no way.

Oh and also charlton fans are by no means great fans, lots of moaning and abuse towards the team even when playing well, it just gets to a stage where it's ridiculous, may I point out how much people moaned about Stephens when we had him? And when we let him go it was a 'ridiculous' move.

Fair enough players may not cut it at the club but it is best not to address these issues whilst a game is on and save criticism for a more constructive time.

That's why I think Church deserves another chance in which he isn't constantly jeered at even when he plays well. For example the cup game against Blackburn in January he starter really well in the first 10-15 minutes, yet every touch was loudly jeered at and shortly after he went quiet. Coincidence? I think not....
  • Options
    I'm reminded somewhat of the grief Simon Francis got when he was here, and now he could very possibly be playing in the Premier League next season...
  • Options
    edited March 2015

cafctom said:

I said it'll make it hard for him 'now' not when his first chances came.
    It just annoys me that many charlton 'fans' will watch a player (particularly strikera) for 5 or 10 games and deem them poor on those performances. Then totally abuse said player for the remaining time at the club.
    Whenever Church comes on everytime he touches the ball many fans jeer at him, how is that fair on him? If every single time you did anything at work and were abused for it you'd probably start to preform worse as you'd be nervous and pressured to perform.
    Pressure can be good e.g when 3 strikers have to battle it out for those 2 spaces in the starting 11, but abusive pressure helps in absolutely no way.

Oh and also charlton fans are by no means great fans, lots of moaning and abuse towards the team even when playing well, it just gets to a stage where it's ridiculous, may I point out how much people moaned about Stephens when we had him? And when we let him go it was a 'ridiculous' move.

Fair enough players may not cut it at the club but it is best not to address these issues whilst a game is on and save criticism for a more constructive time.

That's why I think Church deserves another chance in which he isn't constantly jeered at even when he plays well. For example the cup game against Blackburn in January he starter really well in the first 10-15 minutes, yet every touch was loudly jeered at and shortly after he went quiet. Coincidence? I think not....
    He doesn't get jeered when he gets the ball, thats absolute nonsense.

If you took social media and Charlton Life away from the equation then I don't think a neutral would really perceive Church as getting more stick from fans than anyone else on a matchday.

Plus, he hasn't played "5 or 10 games" - he has played nearly 50 in the league alone. It took 30 odd before Charlton fans started suggesting on here and social media that he wasn't up to it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Glad to see Church get a bit of good fortune that his workeate deserves but it's the same issue for me as with Lawrie Wilson - for all his merits he's just not the standard we need if we aspire to play offs next season.
  • Options

Glad to see Church get a bit of good fortune that his workeate deserves but it's the same issue for me as with Lawrie Wilson - for all his merits he's just not the standard we need if we aspire to play offs next season.

Sure, we should go for better than Churchy if we aspire to chasing promotion.

But he's an honest pro, good team player - just lacking in self belief and confidence.

He'll never be prolific, but play him in the right pairing and he'll pick up 10 goals a season, perhaps.
    But his hard running and persistence would reap rewards for his strike partner and team mates.

In all probability though, his time at Charlton is drawing to a close.

• Options
    Well he opted not to go to the scum, so he rises in my estimation.
    As someone else said, if we want to be in the top six next year then we need someone more prolific than Church. (and taller)
  • Options

As someone else said, if we want to be in the top six next year then we need someone more prolific than Church. (and taller)

Churchie is a six footer. Maybe doesn't look it, and he is not that brilliant in the air. TWWW is the same height.
  • Options
    Playing for Wales tonight, on sky sports 5
  • Options
    Peter_G said:

Churchie is a six footer. Maybe doesn't look it, and he is not that brilliant in the air. TWWW is the same height.
    Peter_G said:

Simon a six footer ?

Your be telling as next Peter,that Solly is 5ft 8"

• Options
    Erm I think the game could be a rerun!
  • Options
    Missed It said:

I'm reminded somewhat of the grief Simon Francis got when he was here, and now he could very possibly be playing in the Premier League next season...

Constantly made costly individual errors - often leading to goals conceded.

If you want the ten grand a week - you have to put up with the criticism.

I don't hear anyone criticize Watt, and that's because he puts in tons of effort and delivers the end product.

It's not rocket technology.
  • Options

Difference with Church now is that we now have a creative set of players for him to feed off and make space for. Someone like Churchy coming off the bench pulling defenders all over the place will free up space for those players we now have to take advantage. Yes I would give him one more year. His last couple of appearances seem to support my view even though I've not seem them personally.

No coincidence that Igor's goals dried up when Church got injured. He's good at stretching defences just don't expect him to score 10+ goals a season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Difference with Church now is that we now have a creative set of players for him to feed off and make space for. Someone like Churchy coming off the bench pulling defenders all over the place will free up space for those players we now have to take advantage. Yes I would give him one more year. His last couple of appearances seem to support my view even though I've not seem them personally.

No coincidence that Igor's goals dried up when Church got injured. He's good at stretching defences just don't expect him to score 10+ goals a season.
    I agree he stretches defenses, but he had only made two substitute appearances before Igor's goal drought started Huddersfield (a) and Brighton (a) although he done well in the Brighton game.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    I've been trying to create positivety around church to lots of mates and once or twice on here but I'm fed up now. He's got great positioning and work rate but his finishing is too poor for the championship. You can tell he has good positioning as he gets quite a number of good chances but so many times he misses sitters or one-on-ones that are easier to score than for the goalkeeper to save. He's been given plenty of chances and shockingly fans have been less mocking of him lately so I can't justify myself blaming it on poor confidence anymore.
  • Options
    That's not saying much to be fair!
  • Options

I've been trying to create positivety around church to lots of mates and once or twice on here but I'm fed up now. He's got great positioning and work rate but his finishing is too poor for the championship. You can tell he has good positioning as he gets quite a number of good chances but so many times he misses sitters or one-on-ones that are easier to score than for the goalkeeper to save. He's been given plenty of chances and shockingly fans have been less mocking of him lately so I can't justify myself blaming it on poor confidence anymore.

Scored more goals in recent weeks than Igor

I feel Church could score in 5/6 games in a row and than go one game without scoring and people will be saying get rid again
    IMO he is much improved under Luzon and people might disagree but again IMO has played better than Igor over the past month and a half
    Absolutely awful yesterday.

• Options
    Even more pony than usual yesterday, not even league one standard this fella.