Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Simon Church

Comments

• Hahahahahaha
  • How has he stayed in the Championship?
  • I, genuinely, hope he does well there, for him not MK Dons, but I don't think he will.

He'll probably play a bit though as I can't see them signing anyone much better, not with a full international striker on their books.
  • if as rumoured they have one of the bottom 3 budgets in the champ, then either he's taken a pay cut or they've blown a large chunk of it on him
  • Spongefoot was one of those players that blew cold and cold. Wish him well for his effort, but must rank as one of the most disappointing signings we have made (and there is a highly competitive field in that category!).
  • I wouldn't say he was a bad player - I think he was a bad player with the ball at his feet. What he done off the ball was good stuff - but At this level it's not good enough. League 1 at best.
  • Signed for MK Franchise

Thanks Colin.
  • Wonder why he chose them over these clubs in European competition that were after him!?
  • Sponsored links:

• You never know, with Danny Green to provide the ammo he might turn out to be lethal!!!

Or maybe not. Relegation certainties.
  • Kap10 said:

Good luck to him, but mad decision by Dons.

Is it? He might not have been brilliant but he was part of the squad that kept us up in the Championship, which is what MK Dons will be aiming for. And if it doesn't work out he'll be more than capable at L1 level

Thanks Colin.
    Assuming it was mentioned on the rumours thread

I am sure there are other like me out there, who never open that thread
    it gets boring just pages and pages of rubbish made up by some idiots

Thanks Colin.
    Assuming it was mentioned on the rumours thread

I am sure there are other like me out there, who never open that thread
    it gets boring just pages and pages of rubbish made up by some idiots
    We call it 'Charlton Life'
  • Lets not defend the undefendable, simple fact is Simon Church plies his trade as a "striker".

There are some strikers whose aim is to score goals for fun and there are strikers who bring others into play and create goal scoring opportunities or they do both. Church didn't provide either of these enough during a season (based on 13/14 season).

Good luck to him but he's not good enough for the Championship.
  • I always thought he was a good player but he just isn't a striker. The sooner he realises this the better his career will be.

When he was running down the wing with the ball at his feet he looked good, Leeds at home in the 4-2 loss springs to mind.

As a striker though, I can't believe he's got another gig in the champ.
  • Swisdom said:

I'd class myself as one of those who sees the best of players. Someone who tries to avoid the furore of a bad performance and judge a player on merit.

All that said I think Churchinho is a terrible footballer. Shocking first touch. Couldn't jump. Fell over too often. Shocking shooting.

On the odd occasion he scored he got trappy with the fans.

So he could run a bit - well he never dragged a defender away because they knew he posed no threat.

He definitely needed to get away and restart his career and I will naturally boo him when he scores against us next season and give it the big-un to the fans once more.

You thank him for his attitude and efforts but this sums it up for me. It's going to take something pretty big to turn his career round now in terms of goals. His confidence will be shot after the 2 years here. 10 in 63, I think 5 of them were in cup competitions. 2 in 29 for Wales. I think his Reading record was okay for one season but he's a poor player. I have no doubt he'll be massively up for when we play them and I hope we don't let him score against us, but he's been one of the worst footballers I've seen. I didn't really buy into all this running he does for the team, for me that's just an excuse to hide his lack of skill.
  • Davo55 said:

Spongefoot was one of those players that blew cold and cold. Wish him well for his effort, but must rank as one of the most disappointing signings we have made (and there is a highly competitive field in that category!).

He mostly blew cold
  • Sponsored links:

• he sucked indeed.
  • Won't it just be the 'Charlton' way that he scores against us next season?
    And it'll probably be a hat trick at that!!!
  • You never know, with Danny Green to provide the ammo he might turn out to be lethal!!!

Or maybe not. Relegation certainties.

I thought Sheff Utd was after Danny Green, or has my memory let me down again
  • Won't it just be the 'Charlton' way that he scores against us next season?

Not really the Charlton way now is it? That happens time and again in football.
  • I truly and sincerely wish him all the best. But even his best just isn't very good and when you look at a striker, frankly a dickhead with a decent scoring record would suit any team over a nice guy with a scoring record like a defender.

I hope that he finds his feet and settles in at his new club but if he ever scores double figures again in a season I will be astonished.
  • Valley11 said:

Won't it just be the 'Charlton' way that he scores against us next season?

Not really the Charlton way now is it? That happens time and again in football.
    Yeah, but this guy mostly wasn't very good for us.
    Have to say, you couldn't fault him on effort. I really hope he flourishes at MKDs and I will follow his progress as I do with a lot of our ex players.
    But, he will come back and bite us on the arse!
  • edited June 2015
    Top bloke who tried very hard whenever he was on the pitch. Although not the most talented he was a brilliant professional and I hope he goes on to do really well.
  • MKD have got plenty of goalscorers anyway, they scored 101 last season