Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General Election 2015 official thread

Comments

• Who's awake?
  • You're doing ok Callum. 5-10 years ago you would have found it much more difficult to get a job, like my lads did.
    It seemed hopeless for years. But as you say you're doing ok and so are the 2 million extra people now in a job.

I am more than alright in the present moment although I do wonder how I'm gonna get on the housing ladder by the time the next election in five years comes around and I'm 27...

As you say, I've just got a job which I'd have found much more difficult to do 5 years ago and I appreciate that, in fact I can't re-iterate that enough.

That will never change my view that I should vote with a broader perspective, rather than just looking after number 1. The way I see the world, we're all one big family of human beings (yes, even Millwall fans) and we all have a duty to look after each other. Seeing so many people struggle to make ends meet on a day by day basis breaks my heart.

Call me a naive first time voter for voting with hope, voting for what I believe in rather than with cynicism and tactics but how do we achieve anything better without first having that foundation?
    We all hope for that Callum. But believe me Labour are not the answer to those problems.

• Better result for Labour in Oxford East, up 7.5%.
  • I'm not sure looking after a party that managed to create 2 million jobs could be considered looking after number 1.

Sometimes I really wish the UK system was a little more like the Chinese, (although we'd have to keep the actual elections!!!!!!!!!!) a 10 year term allows for a much longer lasting view of what needs to be done, our current cycles make people focus on the short term far too much, things take time to change.
  • Bloke on BBC saying a distinct possibility that Tories will end up with a majority.

That'd be no fun. I demand at least the knockabout joy of a minority government
  • Shadow Foreign Secretary loses seat to 20 year old student.
  • edited May 2015

>

seth plum said:

Callum, it could be that a Conservative led administration might only limp along (unless they engineer a spending spree) because the numbers may yet not stack up for them. Against a background of struggling to pass legislation, Euro shenanigans, and Cameron saying he is going and Boris and Gove plus others vying for his job I can't see it surviving five years intact.
    Don't be depressed, Cameron is not a winner like Thatcher or even Major was, and imagine Boris or Gove in charge, they won't win the Nation.

But who would you replace them with?
    A party that a large part of the country has no faith in whatsoever on tonight's showing?
    I am interested in how Belgium once went 530 days without a government.

Douglas Alexander gone.
  • edited May 2015

You're doing ok Callum. 5-10 years ago you would have found it much more difficult to get a job, like my lads did.
    It seemed hopeless for years. But as you say you're doing ok and so are the 2 million extra people now in a job.

I am more than alright in the present moment although I do wonder how I'm gonna get on the housing ladder by the time the next election in five years comes around and I'm 27...

As you say, I've just got a job which I'd have found much more difficult to do 5 years ago and I appreciate that, in fact I can't re-iterate that enough.

That will never change my view that I should vote with a broader perspective, rather than just looking after number 1. The way I see the world, we're all one big family of human beings (yes, even Millwall fans) and we all have a duty to look after each other. Seeing so many people struggle to make ends meet on a day by day basis breaks my heart.

Call me a naive first time voter for voting with hope, voting for what I believe in rather than with cynicism and tactics but how do we achieve anything better without first having that foundation?
    We all hope for that Callum. But believe me Labour are not the answer to those problems.

I agree & although I'm certain every Labour supporter will disagree. I believe part of the problem re housing, which I agree is horrendous, is the fact that there are 250,000 (net) people coming into the country each year and nowhere near enough houses being built.

Who opened the floodgates for that number ? Labour I'm afraid.
  • You're doing ok Callum. 5-10 years ago you would have found it much more difficult to get a job, like my lads did.

I am more than alright in the present moment although I do wonder how I'm gonna get on the housing ladder by the time the next election comes around and I'm 27...

Well said Callum, im 22 but if i ever vote Conservative i'll be a traitor to myself.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2015
    Paisley 27% swing Lab to SNP.

Douglas Alexander Labour campaign chief loses seat to a 20 year old student at Uni. Ha ha.
  • seth plum said:

>

seth plum said:

Callum, it could be that a Conservative led administration might only limp along (unless they engineer a spending spree) because the numbers may yet not stack up for them. Against a background of struggling to pass legislation, Euro shenanigans, and Cameron saying he is going and Boris and Gove plus others vying for his job I can't see it surviving five years intact.
    Don't be depressed, Cameron is not a winner like Thatcher or even Major was, and imagine Boris or Gove in charge, they won't win the Nation.

But who would you replace them with?
    A party that a large part of the country has no faith in whatsoever on tonight's showing?
    I am interested in how Belgium once went 530 days without a government.

Douglas Alexander gone.
    Well that's something to aim for. You'll be telling me Maggie Thatcher was a winner next!

;-)
  • edited May 2015
    Douglas Alexander loses to a 20 year old SNP candidate.

Douglas Alexander, the shadow foreign secretary, has lost his seat to a student.
  • Paisley 27% swing Lab to SNP.

Douglas Alexander Labour campaign chief loses seat to a 20 year old at Uni. Ha ha.

Although it is pretty funny seeing this happen, is it really right? Is that who we need running the country? A 20 year old uni student....
  • This is surreal!
  • Thatcher was indeed a winner sadly.
  • Paisley 27% swing Lab to SNP.

Douglas Alexander Labour campaign chief loses seat to a 20 year old at Uni. Ha ha.

Although it is pretty funny seeing this happen, is it really right? Is that who we need running the country? A 20 year old uni student....
    Why not? She was elected. She spoke eloquently. Will probably do a good job.
  • There have been electoral landslides like we're seeing in Scotland before, but it has tilted differently at the next election.
  • Labour hold Streatham.

Chuka Umunna. I like him, he's a straight talker.

By that I mean Labour in their current form.
    I'm not staunch anti Labour and I've voted for them in the past.If they had come up with some credible policies delivered by a credible candidate I may well have voted for them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Labour hold Streatham.

Chuka Umunna. I like him, he's a straight talker.

Think he will be a contender for the leadship.
  • Canvey Island held by Tories

Tories 23000
    UKIP 14000
  • 3.8% swing CON to LAB in Halton, Cheshire

A similar swing in neighbouring seats Weaver Vale and Warrington South would see Labour gains.
  • Apparently there is a large stone for sale on ebay.
  • Forgetting my personal antipathy towards nationalist philosophies, the fact that a 20 year old has been elected is a good thing for Parliament.

Alex Salmond going on about a Scottish Lion roaring, what has he got to say about independence for Shetland huh? Or freedom for Tooting for that matter.
  • Bookmakers implying approx 40% prospect of an outright Tory majority
  • Apparently there is a large stone for sale on ebay.

• Lid dem 80 votes in castle point
  • edited May 2015
    Dunbarton East won by SNP from Employment Minister Jo Swinson of Lib Dems.
  • C_A_F_C said:

Apparently there is a large stone for sale on ebay.

Nope. Not this made up one.

I mean the real won Miliband was parading this week.

I wonder where it is ?