Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket - Spring 2015 (matches against WI, IRE & NZ)

Comments

• Leuth said:

Ansari?! County bias much? Let's see him do it for a couple of seasons, maybe in Div 1

Quite possibly but has been our best bowler this year.. has regularly out bowled seasoned pro batty! top wicket taker of spinners in div two so far and and average well under thirty and he bats which England seem to need in a spinner...
  • Leuth said:

Ansari?! County bias much? Let's see him do it for a couple of seasons, maybe in Div 1

Agree. At least with Rashid you get the occassional ball that gets people out !
  • TBH, i dont think Cook will ever become an instinctive captain, he'a always going to play the numbers game - its just not in him. Drives me crazy when you see obvious things yourself and yet it seems he cant.

Not sure that's entirely true though. The bowling changes on that final day were pretty instinctive. Even when people were screaming why did he have a fielder down at 3rd man yet where was the winning catch taken? I think the captaincy is another stick to beat him with as well as his run scoring before the last few months.

It isn't a coincidence he has improved since he got dropped from the ODI side. As for his captaincy, I don't think it's ever really been a problem. I'm sure there's something all of us would like to have a moan about or do differently but that's normal. I think his confidence will improve and in turn his captaincy will get even better the more runs he makes.
  • I'm really not sure that Ali has done that much wrong. His bowling average in Tests is under 30 and actually better than that of Swann.

If we add his ability to get us out of a hole with the bat unless there is someone outstanding out there I'm not sure there is a need for change.
  • edited May 2015
    Unchanged side is fine by me. Ali has the ability to turn it on and even Joe Root has shown he's capable of holding an end and picking up wickets 5-10 overs at a time.

With others, Wood and especially Lyth, need the full summer to try to cement their places in the team. Dumping them after one or two tests is not a productive when trying to build a new team.
  • Unchanged side is fine by me. Ali has the ability to turn it out and even Joe Root has shown he's capable of holding an end and picking up wickets 5-10 overs at a time.

With others, Wood and especially Lyth, need the full summer to try to cement their places in the team. Dumping them after one or two tests is not a productive when trying to build a new team.

Judging by his first game, wouldnt think that anyone is thinking of dumping Wood.
  • I'm really not sure that Ali has done that much wrong. His bowling average in Tests is under 30 and actually better than that of Swann.

If we add his ability to get us out of a hole with the bat unless there is someone outstanding out there I'm not sure there is a need for change.

I'm still not sure he's the front line spinner that you need to really be challenging with the Aussies, Saffa's etc. Definitely wouldn't drop him yet though, especially with no other spinner really challenging him heavily. Ansari may be a talent, but no where near the England set up just yet thank you.
  • Was really impressed by Wood in first test. Barely seen him bowl barring last week, express paced off such a short run up. Looks like he has a personality too
  • Everybody is very quiet about the appointment of Trevor Bayliss,normally at least Riviera would come on and slag him off for the sake of it !
    What i'd like to know is has he given up making those wind-up radios?
  • I think Bayliss is a very good appointment, not just for the Test team but he will revolutionise the one day team. He also works well with Farbrace and he coached at Kent for a short while so what's not to like.
  • Sponsored links:

• Maybe thats why everyone's quiet - cos this makes sense all round - has experience in England, also national and shorter formats. Seems that noone has a bad word for him - queue Riviera !.

Oh, and it looks like he IS still making those wind-up radios...
    http://www.21stcenturychallenges.org/focus/interview-with-trevor-baylis-obe/
  • Everybody is very quiet about the appointment of Trevor Bayliss,normally at least Riviera would come on and slag him off for the sake of it !
    What i'd like to know is has he given up making those wind-up radios?

That Trevor Bayliss came into our school once to give our class a talk on technology etc

He was the expert on The Big Breakfast at the time so we spent 90% of his time ignoring the inventions and asking him how fit Kelly Brook was in real life.
  • 400 up for Jimmy.
  • edited May 2015
    401 now. Williamson has gone.

NZ 36-2 after 10 overs.
  • edited May 2015
    Impressed with Wood - looks like he could be a handful if he gains a yard of pace.Reminds me of Marchant De Lange.
  • Taylor out lbw Broad
    68-3
  • Mcculum smacks first ball for 6 !
  • Mccullum now on 23 off 12 balls !
  • Mccullum out for 41 off 28 balls c Wood b Stokes - tame shot to mid-off
  • Watling out to Wood, NZ now 150-5
  • Sponsored links:

• NZ 220-5 - Latham just survived his 3rd review !
  • Ridiculous from both the umpire and the DRS 'margin of error' system, that patently should have been out
  • Both Ronchi and Latham are 72no, but Ronchi has needed 99 less balls to get there!
  • Latham is really chancing his luck. he has survived 3 DRS reviews, has just been dropped twice off consecutive balls off ALi , playing and missing all over and now dropped again by Cook with a regulation slip catch.
  • And now been given not out for plumb LBW , and England dont have any reviews left.
  • NZ 266-7 , sorry didnt see the 2 wickets as watching the Blatter fiasco.
  • Latham was out - wow, if he had got a hundred it would have been one of the luckiest ever.
  • edited May 2015
  • 8 down Southee caught in the deep for 1.