Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket - Spring 2015 (matches against WI, IRE & NZ)

Comments

• Options
    And to think some people had the audacity to slag his batting off :wink:
  • Options
    I would never have been seen to be doing that though :-)

It is remarkable though how quick of a turnaround Cook's batting has taken after a poor couple of years. It seems that he has eradicated his issue outside off stump overnight. He is leaving the ball absolutely brilliantly and he just seems extremely safe in the corridor of uncertainty.
  • Options
    The chances of Cook being out after nicking one having a feel outside his off stump have just increased massively now I've said that though ...
  • Options
    Adam Lyth moves to his maiden Test fifty on his home ground, nice moment.
  • Options
    And in that moment the openers have moved past a hundred partnership, 102-0.
  • Options

I cant remember the last time Englands openers put on a really big score. Hopefully this is it because I can't see us winning the Ashes unless the top order scores heavily.

Andrew Samson
    BBC Test Match Special statistician
    "This is England's first century opening stand in a home Test since Birmingham in 2011 when Cook and Strauss added 186 against India."

Cook went on to get 294 in that game.
  • Options
    Cook now goes to his 41st test century with a top edge over the slips.

It's the fifth time he's surpassed fifty in his last seven innings.

Both openers on 53.
  • Options
    Lyth looking very good.

• Options

Lyth looking very good.

Agreed, beautiful straight drive. Really enjoying this partnership, good cricket.
  • Options

I cant remember the last time Englands openers put on a really big score. Hopefully this is it because I can't see us winning the Ashes unless the top order scores heavily.

Andrew Samson
    BBC Test Match Special statistician
    "This is England's first century opening stand in a home Test since Birmingham in 2011 when Cook and Strauss added 186 against India."

Cook went on to get 294 in that game.
    Four years is an incredible dry spell. Thanks for the stat.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    163-0 at tea :-)

Lyth 80* (145) & Cook 71* (155)

187 behind

• Options
    Great session, really enjoyable.

New Zealand are in trouble here though, with only four bowlers their seamers are going to be knackered and we can punish them for that with our powerful middle order after this exceptional platform has been set.

In fact we have pushed on even with these two, the last ten overs have gone at five and a half an over.
  • Options
    Looking very comfortable these two.
  • Options

Looking very comfortable these two.

Nice one, Cook out LBW. :-)

Original decision Not Out, reviewed and given out.

177-1
  • Options
    Whoops.
  • Options

The England run rate is far too adventurous. We need Ballance out there to calm things down.

You got your wish.
    Ballance is in and run rate has gone from 3.8 this morning to 1.6 now.
  • Options
    8 runs off of the last ten overs.
  • Options
    Two fours in three balls bring up a hundred for Lyth!

Maiden century and it's in front of his home crowd, brilliant for him.
  • Options
    Lyth run out for 107.

Bell comes in and hits his second ball for six, 225/2
  • Options
    Ballance gone for 29, b Boult.

Zero footwork from Gary there...

The second new ball does the trick, with just the second ball with it New Zealand get the wicket.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    238-3
  • Options
    Root gone for 1 ...

239-4
  • Options
    I thought the snail was going to score a century? Still a chance for the Second innings. Lyth did very well as i thought he would.
  • Options
    Wouldn't be England without a collapse after a good start!
  • Options
    Bell gone already. Caught in the slips off Southee for 12.

257-6
  • Options
    Southee gets Buttler too in the same manner for 10.

266-7
  • Options
    The walking wicket is now in. Hopefully he will just try and smash his way out of trouble because there's no sense in him trying to hold his end up for Ali. Leave that to Wood and Anderson.
  • Options
    Swiftly followed by Ali - the third wicket of the morning and all caught in the slips off Southee.

Six wickets lost for 31 runs with the new ball.

267-8 and still 83 behind.
  • Options
    Obviously I know what I'm talking about...

I've just finished running a coaching session, the next generation are in trouble :-)
  • Options
    Something strange happened with the quote, was meant to say ...

New Zealand are in trouble here though, with only four bowlers their seamers are going to be knackered and we can punish them for that with our powerful middle order after this exceptional platform has been set.

Obviously I know what I'm talking about...

I've just finished running a coaching session, the next generation are in trouble :-)