Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Voice of The Valley

Comments

• LMFAO off it.

Did you read it?
  • Great read. Looking forward to the next.
  • At least you could buy a copy, they had enogh venders unlike the club. I was unable to buy the Charlton programme and year book as only one vender in Floyd rd.
    With regard to VOTV good to see it was less vitriolic this issue, there are and will be problems with the club but there will be things that are wright and VOTV should be a more balanced which it was. A good read therefore.
  • LMFAO off it.

Did you read it?
    I read Off It's post about a shirt not fitting and LMFAO

• I've added a little post-match ramble around the events of yesterday at www.votvonline.com.

It comes over as yet another bitter attack on the club. Terrible piece.
    Move On as they say......
  • Greenie said:

I've added a little post-match ramble around the events of yesterday at www.votvonline.com.

If you say so, but some might think it's you who needs to move on.
  • Greenie said:

I've added a little post-match ramble around the events of yesterday at www.votvonline.com.

If you say so, but some might think it's you who needs to move on.
    Oh dear, nice defence of your article though, well done.
  • Didn't manage to buy a copy on Saturday - will it be on sale tomorrow ?
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:

Didn't manage to buy a copy on Saturday - will it be on sale tomorrow ?

We'll be there.
  • Greenie said:

Fair enough if you think it is but I think Airman says it how he sees it and refuses to dress it up in roses and pretend things that are completely shit aren't shit
    Oh I'm all for a balanced honest piece of journalism, but that wasn't. It came over as do a lot of AB's comments as yet another bitter dig at his previous employers (the reality may be different, but thats how it comes across). Yes they buggered up the new season tickets for a minority of people, and put in contingency plans that worked for the majority of inconvienced fans that didn't get their STs.

But this sums it up for me as a microcosm of ABs thought about the club.

Then there was the football - never an afterthought but only ever reached at Charlton upon navigation of numerous obstacles and diversions.

Really? another sly dig?

But it was an afterthought in the article, it was over halfway down, if the football was that important to AB it would have been paramount in the hierarchy of the article, it wasn't, his digs at the club were......!

I'm just pleased we won, god knows what would have been written.
  • VOTV is easier to buy than the Valley Review. I thought the problem of buying such had been resolved at the pre-season West Ham match where programme sellers were in their "old" usual place just as you come through the tunnel in Ransom Walk, but no !! Didn't see one programme seller on my way to the East Stand turnstiles & thought I'd be able to purchase one on the East Stand concourse - wrong again. I eventually made the purchase opposite the Jimmy Stand stand. Does anyone know why this problem of trying to buy a matchday programme hasn't been resolved yet ? I look forward to the next issue of VOTV btw.
  • I used to really enjoy Greenie's posts, but in the last month they appear to have developed an unpleasant edge. Chill out Greenie, don't go all PL54 onus.

Excellent, so I defend the club against some of the negative types, and criticise an article in an Independent Rag and I'm 'unpleasant'.
    Unlucky, the club deserve better than some of our support.
    Also mentioning another poster negatively will probably inflame a debate, just so you know.
  • There were 2 programme sellers at the bottom of Floyd Road opposite Rick on Saturday, I got to the ground at 2.15pm, queued for about a minute & bought 2 programmes, no problem
  • Is it really that inconceivable that a sack full of season tickets went missing and whilst the club believe this is down to Royal mail, they want to make sure so they are not making libellous statements about RM?
  • Sponsored links:

• Is it really that inconceivable that a sack full of season tickets went missing and whilst the club believe this is down to Royal mail, they want to make sure so they are not making libellous statements about RM?

No, it's not inconceivable, but given that more than one person has reported that their seat has been sold out from under them, and others have reported problems with the tickets they _have_ received, I can think of a much more likely explanation. Namely, that the issue with the customer database a year ago that caused many of us to receive season ticket renewal forms for entirely the wrong people still hasn't been properly resolved.

• Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Fair enough if you think it is but I think Airman says it how he sees it and refuses to dress it up in roses and pretend things that are completely shit aren't shit
    Oh I'm all for a balanced honest piece of journalism, but that wasn't. It came over as do a lot of AB's comments as yet another bitter dig at his previous employers (the reality may be different, but thats how it comes across). Yes they buggered up the new season tickets for a minority of people, and put in contingency plans that worked for the majority of inconvienced fans that didn't get their STs.

But this sums it up for me as a microcosm of ABs thought about the club.

Then there was the football - never an afterthought but only ever reached at Charlton upon navigation of numerous obstacles and diversions.

Really? another sly dig?

But it was an afterthought in the article, it was over halfway down, if the football was that important to AB it would have been paramount in the hierarchy of the article, it wasn't, his digs at the club were......!

I'm just pleased we won, god knows what would have been written.
    Firstly, it's just a piece on another website, which I mainly wrote as an update to the content of the printed Voice. Like a lot of stuff on the net, you can take it or leave it, but it's not a national newspaper column that will reach hundreds of thousands of people. Your response is personal to me, so let's address that.

If you insist on believing that I blame the Belgians for the year of stress imposed on me and my family by the dishonest actions of their predecessors and am visiting that on them then I can't do much about that, but the logic escapes me.

I have supported the club for 46 years. It's been an important part of my life and I was never going to have that taken away from me by a bunch of spivs who didn't give a damn for the club or its supporters - no matter how much some of you deluded yourselves that they were better than they were. I didn't always handle that situation well, but if you have people lying in statements to go before a judge, lying about you to other people and, separately, try to intimidate and bully your friends, then you are going to struggle. None of that has anything to do with the club now.

I don't write a lot about the football generally because I know my own limitations in that area. There are much better informed and thoughtful pieces by other people whose views I respect, here and elsewhere. So I tend to write about the things I do know more about, while taking into account that the football is what matters. Hence the tone of that piece is set by the football, but the detail reflects the mess the club is off the pitch.

Voice of The Valley existed long before I worked for the club and had much the same approach then. I've had 26 years working in and around the club, which makes me very lucky and I'm grateful for it, and for the support I get from many good friends at Charlton and the VOTV readers, but the administration of the club (which was never perfect in the past) is at a low ebb. Staff, current and recently departed, know it. The programmes sales in particular are emblematic of that. Inevitably, what I write will reflect that, like it or not.

Where the administration has done good things I have recognised that, both in the article online and in the new print issue, but the management itself is poor. How far that will matter if the team is successful I don't know, but it does undermine confidence in the club and won't help it grow.
    Thanks for the detailed response.
    Like I said, the article came across as negative, even when we got onto the football there was a veiled dig, I don't think it was balanced at all, but hey I'm not a journalist.
    And, like it or not, some of your posts/articles come across as bitter towards the club, and IMHO if they are unfairly negative they should be challenged, otherwise don't post on a public forum.
    That said if the club were doing something that was beyond the pail, then I would be giving them grief, but it seems to me that some supporters just want to attack the club no matter what the club do, and that kind of 'support' I don't understand.

At the end of the day we are both supporters of the club (both 40 years +), and maybe we show our support in different ways.
  • edited August 2015
    aliwibble said:

Is it really that inconceivable that a sack full of season tickets went missing and whilst the club believe this is down to Royal mail, they want to make sure so they are not making libellous statements about RM?

No, it's not inconceivable, but given that more than one person has reported that their seat has been sold out from under them, and others have reported problems with the tickets they _have_ received, I can think of a much more likely explanation. Namely, that the issue with the customer database a year ago that caused many of us to receive season ticket renewal forms for entirely the wrong people still hasn't been properly resolved.

The problem last year was that they mishandled an Excel spreadsheet, so provided mismatched information to the external mailing house.

This year's issue is largely about the migration of the data from one in house system to another.