Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

General things that confuse you

Comments

• Options
    Could it be that the water you displace in front of you is magnified as approaching the shallow end due to slope on the pool floor. Bit like s tsunami cresting as goes up the shelf and onto shore. This 'extra' water is bounced back off of the end of the pool causing more of a current.

When going shallow to deep the water being pushed in front of you had more room to dissipate.
  • Options

When I swim 25 metres in the pool from shallow end to deep end it takes me exactly 21st strokes, doing front crawl.

When I swim back the other way it takes 22 or sometimes 23, same stroke.

Can somebody tell me why?

Swimming pool circulation pumps may cause slight differential in resistance to the swimmer in each direction. The Barcelona pool in the World championships 2013 was found to have this problem. It is far less prevalent in modern pools, but never the less it may affect a finely tuned athlete as yourself.

In the olden days I used to compete. My home pool was the old Downham which was a glorious 40 yards. The pool pump was at the end of the pool and if you got that lane, it was like swimming against a tidal wave. Obviously, I was always saddled with it, and it is the sole reason why I never went on to Olympic glory.

Good article here.

http://aquamagazine.com/pools/dr-william-rowley-blog-a-current-event.html
  • Options
    How Emile Heskey became an full international.

• Options

When I swim 25 metres in the pool from shallow end to deep end it takes me exactly 21st strokes, doing front crawl.

It's uphill on the way back.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

As you near your finish, you take shorter strokes, especially if your free hand changes to breast stroke.
  • Options

Is it because you're able to push off a bit further from the shallow end, as you're in a standing position?
    Not when I turn, my feet don't touch the ground.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

What if you start in the deep end first?

I'll give that a try. I think the Eltham pool is shallower than Sidcup, I'll have a count up there.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Swimming pool circulation pumps may cause slight differential in resistance to the swimmer in each direction. The Barcelona pool in the World championships 2013 was found to have this problem. It is far less prevalent in modern pools, but never the less it may affect a finely tuned athlete as yourself.

In the olden days I used to compete. My home pool was the old Downham which was a glorious 40 yards. The pool pump was at the end of the pool and if you got that lane, it was like swimming against a tidal wave. Obviously, I was always saddled with it, and it is the sole reason why I never went on to Olympic glory.

Good article here.

http://aquamagazine.com/pools/dr-william-rowley-blog-a-current-event.html
    We clearly have never met, Raith.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    MrOneLung said:

Could it be that the water you displace in front of you is magnified as approaching the shallow end due to slope on the pool floor. Bit like s tsunami cresting as goes up the shelf and onto shore. This 'extra' water is bounced back off of the end of the pool causing more of a current.

When going shallow to deep the water being pushed in front of you had more room to dissipate.

I think it's something along these lines, probably to do with the pressure in the deep end. I'll have to try a pool which is shallow at both ends. It's been bugging me for a while.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why veggie ready made food is made to look like sausages, bacon or a steak and not mushrooms, cabbage or chestnuts.
  • Options
    I swim most days and have never, ever thought to count my strokes, which is surprising as I have run out of things to think about (does anyone else remember how many lengths they've done by counting in player shirt numbers?) - I shall test out Donyngs Recreation Centre's pool and see if this phenomenon exists there.
  • Options

Counting how may strokes it take to to finish.

I can't believe that Dave Mehmet hasn't responded to this yet.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I swim most days and have never, ever thought to count my strokes, which is surprising as I have run out of things to think about (does anyone else remember how many lengths they've done by counting in player shirt numbers?) - I shall test out Donyngs Recreation Centre's pool and see if this phenomenon exists there.

I swim most days too with a minimum target of 60 lengths. I don’t generally have a problem of remembering which length I’m on. I sometimes think of the fractions and percentages to get me through. E.g. It seems to help knowing that I’m two fifths through at 24 and fifty percent at 30 etc.

The only times that I forget which length I'm on is when I try to count the strokes I’m doing during the 60 - I evidently do not have a dual processor in my brain.

Is it too sad to admit that I sometimes count other people’s strokes per length too?
  • Options
    Why do calculator keypads and computer keyboards have the numbers from the bottom up, whilst phones and cashpoints have them from the top down?
  • Options
    ATMs that differ in their procedures in different countries.
    UK = tap away, get card back, then money appears.
    The last foreign land I lived in = tap, cash, then card back.

Or more accurately, tap, cash, walk away with cash. Much later go back to bank to collect and pay charge for, card.
  • Options

There is no evil in tent on my part but ?

Are you just rubbish at counting ?

• Options

There is no evil in tent on my part but ?

Are you just rubbish at counting ?

We can all see which camp you're in.
    ;-)
  • Options
    As i told man at Milletts ?

if i'm not on a flat surface, i can't keep it up all night.
    I'm too much of a square peg in a round hole.
    Carry on Camping. (Sid James was in that one)
  • Options

Why veggie ready made food is made to look like sausages, bacon or a steak and not mushrooms, cabbage or chestnuts.

It's a transitional thing for those with a history of eating meat. It does help while you discover how to change your diet. And veggie sausages are very nice too!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why Japanese men dye their hair that weird orange colour.
  • Options
    the amount of money women are willing to spend on crap

my wife proudly informed me this afternoon that she'd only spent 28 euros on 4 bottles of shower gel- she genuinely thought I'd be impressed at how well she'd done spending that on essentially the same stuff I would've got in Sainsburys for a fiver

then I just had to stop her from buying a small piece of sponge for 5.50. what goes through their minds?
  • Options
    rina said:

What goes through their minds?

If you can work that out you'd be a bloody genius and billionaire... Who the hell knows what goes through their minds, do they even know?
  • Options
    rina said:

the amount of money women are willing to spend on crap

my wife proudly informed me this afternoon that she'd only spent 28 euros on 4 bottles of shower gel- she genuinely thought I'd be impressed at how well she'd done spending that on essentially the same stuff I would've got in Sainsburys for a fiver

then I just had to stop her from buying a small piece of sponge for 5.50. what goes through their minds?

Their heads are full of candyfloss (some).
  • Options
    How the hell is Lily Cole a model? Ridiculous
  • Options
    How people can be so underwhelmed by music.
  • Options
    The advert for confuse.com. where the robots are making small robots in the factory and singing. What are they singing? it is driving me nuts trying to understand what they are saying, please someone help
  • Options
    ross1 said:

The advert for confuse.com. where the robots are making small robots in the factory and singing. What are they singing? it is driving me nuts trying to understand what they are saying, please someone help

I think it's based on Apache by the Shadows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNAyPK2O4fk
  • Options
    After running the beat the bookie competition, why do I, and many others, continue to gamble.