Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Rumours Rumours Rumours - The Big Kahuna

Comments

• edited June 2015
    MrLargo said:

cabbles said:

MrLargo said:

_MrDick said:

In the good old days, we had to wait until Thursdays to hear about any speculation or news of signings. That's when the Kentish Independent, Mercury and Kentish Times were published. The interweb has made us more impatient, IMHO.

It's a valid point, and I'm sure there's some truth in it. However, I have always been impatient, even back in the good old days. That's why I always got sucked in by the Clubcall Headlines - "International striker set to sign? (the answer usually being "no"), "Curbs on transfer chase" ("we've not signed anyone yet, but we probably will before too long"), "Big money signing imminent?" ("no").

It was impatience that my resulted in my not getting any pocket money for two months in the early '90's. I think we've always been impatient, it's just easier to indulge the impatience now.
    I too was a bit over excited when there was talk of Chris Malkin signing for actual money in our 95/96 play off season. I was just use to such sparse transfer talk that if there were any sniffs of rumours I was all over it. Many a premium rate call racked up on my dad's landline. You'd be desperate for that transfer news but would have to spend 5 mins listening to some interview Steve Gritt gave post Oxford away or something
    Exactly that! Sat in the lounge with a clock in front of me, knowing I've already done 6 minutes and all I've learned is that Kim Grant's thigh strain is responding well to treatment, and the reserves are playing a behind-closed-doors friendly against Colchester on Wednesday morning!

I think I remember Chris Malkin - fell through due to a failed medical I think. He went to Scumwall and we signed Bradley Allen instead. Great days!
    Yes I think he was at Millwall. Personally I think it was in the days when transfers weren't as mature as they are now. By that I mean we'd just moved back to the Valley and all our money had been tied up in that, hence why we only got Paul Mortimer and David Whyte + 60K in a swap deal for Pitcher. I think Curbs and the system back then was coming out of a cold war type environment. We had transfers prior to returning to the Valley, Tommy Caton from Oxford say, then went a few years without anyone because all funds were being diverted to back to the Valley.

When we finally had a bit of money we panicked with who we were linked with.

I also think the same is true of us. You and I are testament to that with our obsessive behaviour on clubcall. I mean what did we expect to hear. Young adolescents so hopeful we're about to sign someone
  • cabbles said:

MrLargo said:

cabbles said:

MrLargo said:

_MrDick said:

In the good old days, we had to wait until Thursdays to hear about any speculation or news of signings. That's when the Kentish Independent, Mercury and Kentish Times were published. The interweb has made us more impatient, IMHO.

It's a valid point, and I'm sure there's some truth in it. However, I have always been impatient, even back in the good old days. That's why I always got sucked in by the Clubcall Headlines - "International striker set to sign? (the answer usually being "no"), "Curbs on transfer chase" ("we've not signed anyone yet, but we probably will before too long"), "Big money signing imminent?" ("no").

It was impatience that my resulted in my not getting any pocket money for two months in the early '90's. I think we've always been impatient, it's just easier to indulge the impatience now.
    I too was a bit over excited when there was talk of Chris Malkin signing for actual money in our 95/96 play off season. I was just use to such sparse transfer talk that if there were any sniffs of rumours I was all over it. Many a premium rate call racked up on my dad's landline. You'd be desperate for that transfer news but would have to spend 5 mins listening to some interview Steve Gritt gave post Oxford away or something
    Exactly that! Sat in the lounge with a clock in front of me, knowing I've already done 6 minutes and all I've learned is that Kim Grant's thigh strain is responding well to treatment, and the reserves are playing a behind-closed-doors friendly against Colchester on Wednesday morning!

I think I remember Chris Malkin - fell through due to a failed medical I think. He went to Scumwall and we signed Bradley Allen instead. Great days!
    Yes I think he was at Millwall. Personally I think it was in the days when transfers weren't as mature as they are now. By that I mean we'd just moved back to the Valley and all our money had been tied up in that, hence why we only got Paul Mortimer and David Whyte + 60K in a swap deal for Pitcher. I think Curbs and the system back then was coming out of a cold war type environment. We had transfers prior to returning to the Valley, Tommy Caton from Oxford say, then went a few years without anyone because all funds were being diverted to back to the Valley.

I also think the same is true of us. You and I are testament to that with our obsessive behaviour on clubcall. I mean what did we expect to hear. Young adolescents so hopeful we're about to sign someone
    Think the Pitcher deal was a decent bit of business - possibly didn't feel like it at the time as Pitcher's agent had managed to hype up his talents quite a bit, but he wasn't as great as he thought he was and Whyte and Mortimer would probably get into my all time favourite 11.

Curbs (and Gritt) picked up some absolute bargains in the early 90's though - Robinson, Nelson, Keith Jones for example, must have had about 700 games from those 3, combined transfer fees not much more than £300k.
  • MrLargo said:

cabbles said:

MrLargo said:

cabbles said:

MrLargo said:

_MrDick said:

Think the Pitcher deal was a decent bit of business - possibly didn't feel like it at the time as Pitcher's agent had managed to hype up his talents quite a bit, but he wasn't as great as he thought he was and Whyte and Mortimer would probably get into my all time favourite 11.

Curbs (and Gritt) picked up some absolute bargains in the early 90's though - Robinson, Nelson, Keith Jones for example, must have had about 700 games from those 3, combined transfer fees not much more than £300k.
    Very true. I also thought about something similar with Juve. Their whole midfield cost 11m. Ross McCormack cost Fulham 11.4 - crazy
  • Beckboy said:

Can someone design 10 new players please and send them into the club

Grumpy old bloke and a half empty glass would be truly representative mascots.
  • What's Bahebeck up to?
  • sm said:

Beckboy said:

Can someone design 10 new players please and send them into the club

Grumpy old bloke and a half empty glass would be truly representative mascots.
    A half empty flask, surely?

• I've got to the point where I know that "16 new" posts certainly won't mean that even a single rumour has been posted... Yet I still open the thread. Why?
  • Pigott denies being told he can leave.

http://m.echo-news.co.uk/sport/13326394._/
  • Sponsored links:

• I've got to the point where I know that "16 new" posts certainly won't mean that even a single rumour has been posted... Yet I still open the thread. Why?

So you can wonder at the wit and erudition of your fellow forumites. Either that, or masochism.

So you can wonder at the wit and erudition of your fellow forumites. Either that, or masochism.
    We're Charlton fans, we all have a certain masochistic streak ;)
  • I come on here because I no longer have room for a separate dungeon room in my new flat. I can still thumb screw myself so its quite painful typing...
  • Resting up? He should be pushing weights like Harry Kane did to turn himself from an average player to a decent one.
  • This is eerily quiet. The calm before the storm perhaps?
  • Probably be more like drizzle
  • colin1961 said:

The amount of players released and up for offer you can gureenteee at least 7/8 coming in .... Be calm everyone I doudt very much we will have more then two new players on view at welling ..... So long way to go and lot of time to do it in no panic guys

Well when we are not privy to insider info like you are we are right to be a bit worried at the lack of rumours.

But seriously we have a paper thin squad and a percentage of them are cack and we are trying to move them on. We have to make a lot of signings and with our recent hit and miss transfer activity it would be mad no to be apprehensive.

• I'm a touch worried. Presuming that Rich Cawley was correct, and we are indeed looking to get rid of Wiggins, Harriot, Pigott and Bikey, That would leave our squad with the following players who have first team experience:

Goalkeepers: Henderson, Pope, Dmitrovic
    Solly, Gomez, Fox
    Jackson, Gudmondssen, Diarra, Cousins, Moussa, Lepoint
    Vetokele, Watt, Ahearne-Grant

So two centre-backs required, cover for Solly and Fox, midfield isn't too bad if Cousins doesn't mind playing out wide all season, no injury cover there though, and only a 17 year old as back up for Watt and Igor. We need to bring in a lot of good players in order to have a squad that can cope throughout the season. I reckon we'll bring in enough to have a decent starting 11, but nowhere near enough depth, same as last year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Henderson
    Solly, Diarra, Gomez, Fox
    Gudmondssen, Cousins, Moussa, Jackson,
    Vetokele, Watt

Sorted.

And the seven subs?
  • cabbles said:

MrLargo said:

I'm a touch worried. Presuming that Rich Cawley was correct, and we are indeed looking to get rid of Wiggins, Harriot, Pigott and Bikey, That would leave our squad with the following players who have first team experience:

Goalkeepers: Henderson, Pope, Dmitrovic
    Solly, Gomez, Fox
    Jackson, Gudmondssen, Diarra, Cousins, Moussa, Lepoint
    Vetokele, Watt, Ahearne-Grant

So two centre-backs required, cover for Solly and Fox, midfield isn't too bad if Cousins doesn't mind playing out wide all season, no injury cover there though, and only a 17 year old as back up for Watt and Igor. We need to bring in a lot of good players in order to have a squad that can cope throughout the season. I reckon we'll bring in enough to have a decent starting 11, but nowhere near enough depth, same as last year.

I'd cry if we went back to this way of playing
    I think i'll be joining you in those tears if Cousins is put out wide again.
    If we've learnt anything from the last two seasons under Powell, Riga and Peeters, no one benefits from him out wide, left or right side
  • Henderson
    Vetokele, Watt

Sorted.

And the seven subs?
    I'll be one.. got two dodgy knees but I'm sure I can last maybe 5 mins....
  • edited June 2015
    It is too early to be worried. We have to see how it pans out. I'd like to get a sense of how we will approach next season as I can see it going either way, as I don't really trust the network in terms of its strategy but there have been things that have given me hope so it isn't clear cut. But you can't read anything into what is happening or isn't happening at the moment.
  • Henderson
    Vetokele, Watt

Sorted.

lets hope the oppositions right hand side is shit.
    'Johnny Jackson runs down the wing for me' we can't be hearing that again either :blush:
  • perhaps they just the name "le fondre" is a bit continental and some kind of link is made ?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!