Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Rumours Rumours Rumours - The Big Kahuna

Comments

• Lepoint looks a really poor buy.

No pace, poor control if he's starting for us next season we will struggle.

If he's starting for us next season, it would be proof that our coaching staff are rediculously talented, verging on the miraculous.
    If he's starting some place in Hungary…
  • uie2 said:

rel="Wheresmeticket?">Eagles will come good for us next year.

Has Eagles not left the club?

Oh.
  • QPR are looking at £750,000 rated Charlton winger Callum Harriot.
    The wideman, 21, is also being tracked by Wolves and Huddersfield.
    From the Sun

I'd be gutted if we let him go for that derisory sum.

• The funny thing is that Callum no doubt thinks he's worth that sum...
  • The funny thing is that Callum no doubt thinks he's worth that sum...

"no doubt" Really?
  • Harriott is such a frustrating player, obviously has ability but rarely shows it. 750k is a great offer for him

• cafcnick1992 Member
    June 9 edited June 9
    get a few of the Ivory Coast women in

Can't they get us all one ?
  • Sponsored links:

• QPR are looking at £750,000 rated Charlton winger Callum Harriot.
    From the Sun

I hope the deal includes a pre season friendly at home next season...
  • He needs a new start. Other than that 5 day feast against Watford and Blackpool, he's been pony since the end of the 2012/13 season
  • edited June 2015

QPR are looking at £750,000 rated Charlton winger Callum Harriot.
    From the Sun

I hope the deal includes a pre season friendly at home next season...
    If QPR sign Harriot and sell/release Shaun Wright-Phillips it'll be from the frying pan into the fire, albeit that Harriot is a cheaper rasher of bacon than is W-P
  • Pedro45 said:

When contracts end on July 1st, we will see movement - we do every year! I also think Bulot will be sold to us. We have the makings of a good team, and we do need some new (good) blood, but there is no point paying £30k or £40k a week to someone like Darren Bent (much as I'd love to have him back...) when that will simply mean we lose double what we are currently losing a year. The signings of Igor and Johann show that there are good players out there willing to fight for an opportunity to showcase themselves and hope to get to play Premiership football as a result. We just need a couple more of these, plus some experienced pro's, and we should be fine.

Thing is, don't you think that every team will be looking for these players? Its not as easy as picking out a list of cheap, good, young and hungry players that nobody else knows about.

Current rate of signing success under Roland is about 50%. If we need 10 players that means we need to sign 20, or change our approach of gambling on untested young foreign players.

A few alarm bells are ringing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Football agent who seems to have had a meeting today , cans see who the client/player is

https://twitter.com/karimmanagement/status/608561603081068544
  • I can't think of many managers/owners who don't average out as better than 50% success rate, signing wise in all honesty. For every resounding success there's a flop, most of them are perfectly decent and do a job we need doing. Which manager's signings am I describing? Well, it could be any except maybe Pardew or Dowie who spent vastly more than the average for no better results. Even Powell signed a few duds in his time.
  • Addicted said:

Pedro45 said:

When contracts end on July 1st, we will see movement - we do every year! I also think Bulot will be sold to us. We have the makings of a good team, and we do need some new (good) blood, but there is no point paying £30k or £40k a week to someone like Darren Bent (much as I'd love to have him back...) when that will simply mean we lose double what we are currently losing a year. The signings of Igor and Johann show that there are good players out there willing to fight for an opportunity to showcase themselves and hope to get to play Premiership football as a result. We just need a couple more of these, plus some experienced pro's, and we should be fine.

Thing is, don't you think that every team will be looking for these players? Its not as easy as picking out a list of cheap, good, young and hungry players that nobody else knows about.

Current rate of signing success under Roland is about 50%. If we need 10 players that means we need to sign 20, or change our approach of gambling on untested young foreign players.

I agree. And 50% is possibly being generous.

For all the good work (at the Valley, the new training ground, when and if it happens, the financial stability and not being Spiv brothers) that the RD has donethere is still a huge question mark over both the incoming and outgoing player deals.

The bumpy ride continues
  • edited June 2015
    Addicted said:

Pedro45 said:

Why? It's early still...Yes of course other teams are in the same boat, but maybe they have different requirements (not every Championship club has a paucity of centre backs...)?

I guess a lot comes own to how much supporters want the club in debt; it'll be great for Roland to splash the cash, buy 20 players at over the odds, hope ten come good, and sell the rest at a loss when they fail. But that is not sustainable unless it could guarantee promotion, which it will not. Better still to build slowly; get the infrastructure right; bring on the great crop of youngsters we have; have a firm base from which to move on from that is not going to bankrupt the club in a couple of years time.

Nobody ever said it would be easy, or smooth! But it is pretty much exactly the same as the position we were in last year, albeit with a lot stronger base than 12 months ago.
  • Just to be clear, I dont want us to sign 20 players. I want us to sign 10, of a decent quality. Alarm bells are ringing because we dont need just 3-4 signings like many other teams in this division. We need far more, therefore logically should start far earlier.

I dont doubt that we'll start the season with centre backs. If we sell our current 2 though we'll need 3 decent signings in that position.

I dont doubt we'll start the season with more than 1 winger. Again though, if the 2 we have go then we'll need 3-4 decent signings.

A right back.

A left back.

2-3 centre mids.

At least 1 striker.

Seems like a lot of work and a fair few positions to be covered by unknowns. We've been here before, it doesn't work out well if you wait.
  • Addicted said:

Just to be clear, I dont want us to sign 20 players. I want us to sign 10, of a decent quality. Alarm bells are ringing because we dont need just 3-4 signings like many other teams in this division. We need far more, therefore logically should start far earlier.

I dont doubt that we'll start the season with centre backs. If we sell our current 2 though we'll need 3 decent signings in that position.

I dont doubt we'll start the season with more than 1 winger. Again though, if the 2 we have go then we'll need 3-4 decent signings.

A right back.

A left back.

2-3 centre mids.

At least 1 striker.

Seems like a lot of work and a fair few positions to be covered by unknowns. We've been here before, it doesn't work out well if you wait.

I agree pretty much, but what we as fans don't know is what the club already has lined up? For all we know, we may have signed a couple of wingers, two centre halves, and a cheap young right back? As with previous years, the announcements come when contracts end, and when the new deal is worked out between parties. The key date is the end of this month, when contracts expire. Then we will see some movement... if we haven't signed anyone by the start of August, I'll be panicking alongside you!
  • Why would you not want to play your hand too soon col? It's signings not uno.

True we may have loads signed up already. Part of me thinks if the paperwork was done and we're waiting for the date then we'd announce it though? Bit like Liverpool did with Ings and Milner.

Anyway I'm probably filling my pants for no reason. Got married on Sat and first day back at work today so on a bit of a downer!

We'll know how much productive leg work has been done behind the scenes on the 1st.
  • Addicted said:

Just to be clear, I dont want us to sign 20 players. I want us to sign 10, of a decent quality. Alarm bells are ringing because we dont need just 3-4 signings like many other teams in this division. We need far more, therefore logically should start far earlier.

A right back.

A left back.

2-3 centre mids.

At least 1 striker.

It would be impressive to sign twenty players of Messi like quality, or even ten. I get the excitement of new signings pregnant with potential.
    However I want to gently return to one of my interests at Charlton and that is the pathway of Academy players into the first team, and the promotion of those players. I absolutely understand the hit and miss nature regarding the risks of playing younger players (I thought Paul Linger for example, or Sam Appiah would make it), but I would argue that at Charlton we have a good record in regard to producing credible footballers.
    If we ever see the development of Sparrows Lane and the attendant boost to our youth system (and a huge enrichment of our community work), then there has to be a point to it all. One point would be relatively low level churning for a bit of dosh here and there throughout the network, but for me the absolute priority ought to be developing quality players for our first team.
    If a Charlton Athletic player is 'one of our own' I unashamedly admit to loving it, and being more forgiving in their direction. Morgan Fox is one I have high regard for, and indeed I have a fondness for Calum Harriott too, and I am thrilled about the potential of Joe Gomez and others.
    I suppose my point is that yes we need some signings, but they must be of quality, otherwise I would rather see indifferent performances from our young guys than aged overpaid mercenaries. If LePoint is to keep Oliver Muldoon out of the picture he'd better be blimmin good and worth it.
  • If we had signings to announce then we'd announce them. The fact contracts run out 30 June is neither here or there. You just say xyz is signing from 1 July. I'm not worried yet though, plenty of time to go.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!