Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Rumours Rumours Rumours - The Big Kahuna

Comments

• Gillis said:

Madz said:

When Harriot is on form he is good for Championship level. The problem is his consistency. We know he can score goals and has pace, but his head drops very quickly. 750k is not a bad price for him at all. He is good but not great and certainly not irreplaceable.

There is no way we are releasing all the players and making others available for transfer unless we have plans for bringing people in. RD is not going to let his mate Luzon start the season with a weakened squad and only with untested youth players. The players we brought in last year came in and made a difference. Most not heard of but still came good. I'm sure the scouts are looking for the right kinds of players, for the right price and with the right attitude. The last thing we need is overpaid players who come in a rock the boat. We need team players. I think most of those who came in last season did that.

As for not paying enough wages for players of a certain level my understanding is Watt and Vetokele are on a pretty decent wages each so its not as though we won't pay the wages, its probably more a case of we won't pay high wages for just anyone to make up the numbers which is sensible and has always been the case even in Curbs day.

I'm not concerned about the lack of transfers yet at all. I will be more worried if we get to the first preseason game with none, but that's a long way off yet.

Is that not more or less what he did to Luzon at Liege?
    I don't know to be honest. Is it?
  • Frédéric Bulot ‏@FredericBulot · 1h1 hour ago
    The fight over me makes me stronger

• Semi Ajayi Released by arsenal and on his way back to Charlton. Adam Le Fondre rumour still persisting.

Where's this from. Seen he's been released but who is saying he's coming back?
    http://m.sevenoakschronicle.co.uk/Charlton-young-ace-released-Arsenal-return/story-26673005-detail/story.html
  • Alex Dyer - and Powell implicitly - blew the gaff on Duchatelet's scouting system. It comprises a pair of 35-year-old suits in an office near an airport, high on a generation of frantic video games, staring at replays and tapping out performance stats.

Anyone who actually watches football in the flesh knows we played badly last season. The midfield is vapid. We lose possession and the defence wobbles - and when we advance it's a triumph to string three accurate passes together.

Bournemouth were on their knees just a few seasons ago: virtually penniless and heading for the Conference. Look at them at The Valley in May: strong, quick, instinctive, ruthless. Three-nil.

The south-coast resort is cosy retirement home between golf club, sand dunes, and the crematorium. Charlton, in contrast, have a rich history, a grand stadium, and terrific support.

The Belgian industrialist and the Russian oligarch are each unimaginably wealthy. The difference between mid-table torpor and glorious promotion is that one owner shuffles hopeful possibilities - while the other pays for an intelligent manager, inspiring coaches, and effective players.

Performance stats are at the forefront of Matthew Benham's vision. Don't knock it until it fails.
  • Oh god hes back.

What? Are you confirming Ajayi has re-signed? Are you pleased or disappointed?
  • J BLOCK said:

Nadir Ciftci wants to leave Dundee United, not Prem class at Mo,
    But would be a great signing for CAFC and show some ambition to go for a number 9 who is only 23 and a young Turk.(Polish Pete and Reza to go to United plus a million or two)
    Would increase our crowd as well with the Turkish population of London.

and for the reason, im out
  • Sponsored links:

• vffvff
    edited June 2015
    J BLOCK said:

Ed. The Annual summer rumours thread that goes more off course than a blindfolded one armed golfer. Expect a rumour every 26 pages. For a no-chat listing of all the Charlton news and rumours, see the link below

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/67719/charlton-rumours-and-news-bite-size/p1

And so it begins ...

Having reached 48 page on this thread, I think that the comment above from page 1, the blindfolded one armed golfer would be in the club house on their third drink whilst the rumours thread is not a third of the way round the course yet.
  • edited June 2015
    The quicker throw-ins last season proved the point. When we rehearse and play attacking moves, we actually get nearer the box to frighten the opponents.

Our former keeper, Elliot, was coached to kick a low-trajectory, laser-like ball to our attacker: it was rehearsed and it was accurate. Now, by contrast, when Henderson has the ball, there is a stop. The whole world seizes up. Semaphore arms are waved from America to Asia: players troop from one side of the pitch to the other. We are 0-0 at home.

Our static attackers don't have the ball, yet they should close down defenders in the way Church does, sprinting and blocking. Vetokele, all season, simply hasn't been coached the mental skill to run ten yards in anticipation. Good players make their own momentum: they shouldn't need coaching from ValleyGary.

Look again at how we played at home against Derby early last August. Absolutely rampant, on fire, fizzing such that after ten minutes their defenders were blaming each other.

We won.

• edited June 2015
    colin1961 said:

cabbles said:

colin1961 said:

Addicted said:

Just to be clear, I dont want us to sign 20 players. I want us to sign 10, of a decent quality. Alarm bells are ringing because we dont need just 3-4 signings like many other teams in this division. We need far more, therefore logically should start far earlier.

I dont doubt that we'll start the season with centre backs. If we sell our current 2 though we'll need 3 decent signings in that position.

I dont doubt we'll start the season with more than 1 winger. Again though, if the 2 we have go then we'll need 3-4 decent signings.

A right back.

A left back.

2-3 centre mids.

At least 1 striker.

Seems like a lot of work and a fair few positions to be covered by unknowns. We've been here before, it doesn't work out well if you wait.

Why alarm bells ringing ,,, lot of players can't move till July 1st and you don't want to play your hand to soon .....

Plenty of time , most signings won't happen till pre season starts
    Good news for you Colin is that at this rate Captain Jackson will be a starter for sure :wink:
    If they think Jackson can replace buyons and play that role then we are in trouble ....
    colin1961 said:

cabbles said:

colin1961 said:

Addicted said:

Just to be clear, I dont want us to sign 20 players. I want us to sign 10, of a decent quality. Alarm bells are ringing because we dont need just 3-4 signings like many other teams in this division. We need far more, therefore logically should start far earlier.

I dont doubt that we'll start the season with centre backs. If we sell our current 2 though we'll need 3 decent signings in that position.

I dont doubt we'll start the season with more than 1 winger. Again though, if the 2 we have go then we'll need 3-4 decent signings.

A right back.

A left back.

2-3 centre mids.

At least 1 striker.

Seems like a lot of work and a fair few positions to be covered by unknowns. We've been here before, it doesn't work out well if you wait.

Why alarm bells ringing ,,, lot of players can't move till July 1st and you don't want to play your hand to soon .....

Plenty of time , most signings won't happen till pre season starts
    Good news for you Colin is that at this rate Captain Jackson will be a starter for sure :wink:
    If they think Jackson can replace buyons and play that role then we are in trouble ....
    Buyens.
  • Semi Ajayi Released by arsenal and on his way back to Charlton. Adam Le Fondre rumour still persisting.

http://m.sevenoakschronicle.co.uk/Charlton-young-ace-released-Arsenal-return/story-26673005-detail/story.html
    Thanks but doesn't say that we're in for him.

It's just a rumour!

It's just a rumour!

Not really even that.
  • edited June 2015

Alex Dyer - and Powell implicitly - blew the gaff on Duchatelet's scouting system. It comprises a pair of 35-year-old suits in an office near an airport, high on a generation of frantic video games, staring at replays and tapping out performance stats.

Anyone who actually watches football in the flesh knows we played badly last season. The midfield is vapid. We lose possession and the defence wobbles - and when we advance it's a triumph to string three accurate passes together.

Bournemouth were on their knees just a few seasons ago: virtually penniless and heading for the Conference. Look at them at The Valley in May: strong, quick, instinctive, ruthless. Three-nil.

The south-coast resort is cosy retirement home between golf club, sand dunes, and the crematorium. Charlton, in contrast, have a rich history, a grand stadium, and terrific support.

The Belgian industrialist and the Russian oligarch are each unimaginably wealthy. The difference between mid-table torpor and glorious promotion is that one owner purses his lips and shuffles hopeful possibilities - while the other pays for an intelligent manager, inspiring coaches, and effective players.

Interesting, thoughtful post .. yes, remember that the manager also has a LOT to do with Bournemouth's recent success and the fact that the majority of Bournemouth's squad is English .. and YES I am aware of Kermorgant's role within the team .. Bournemouth could be the 'New Wimbledon' circa the Wise, Fashanu, Jones, Bassett era .. BUT look what happened to them when Sam Hamman (not to be confused with Sam The Sham and the Pharaohs .. Woolly Boolly) decided to no longer foot the overdraft bill .. I am hoping that our owner with his conservative approach, which admittedly is a frustration to many of the more gung ho CAFC fans, is looking for success and development on a longer term scale .. admittedly, a little success now would not go amiss and not all bread today, jam tomorrow
    "... Looking for success and development on a longer term scale..." I often wonder if you and others on this forum actually go to The Valley and enjoy football.

• Sponsored links:

• edited June 2015
    In the last couple of seasons the network seems to have made some glaring errors then pulled a rabbit out of the hat. Clearly we want less of the former and more of the latter next season, but we won't know until we see evidence as both are equally as likely IMO.
  • _MrDick said:

In the good old days, we had to wait until Thursdays to hear about any speculation or news of signings. That's when the Kentish Independent, Mercury and Kentish Times were published. The interweb has made us more impatient, IMHO.

In the good old days you didn't know about anyone signing until the club announced it.
  • _MrDick said:

In the good old days, we had to wait until Thursdays to hear about any speculation or news of signings. That's when the Kentish Independent, Mercury and Kentish Times were published. The interweb has made us more impatient, IMHO.

It's a valid point, and I'm sure there's some truth in it. However, I have always been impatient, even back in the good old days. That's why I always got sucked in by the Clubcall Headlines - "International striker set to sign? (the answer usually being "no"), "Curbs on transfer chase" ("we've not signed anyone yet, but we probably will before too long"), "Big money signing imminent?" ("no").

It was impatience that my resulted in my not getting any pocket money for two months in the early '90's. I think we've always been impatient, it's just easier to indulge the impatience now.
  • Ross said:

_MrDick said:

In the good old days you didn't know about anyone signing until the club announced it.
    and that was usually one ne player every 5 seasons or so ((:>)
  • I remember when I saw we had signed John Bumstead on the back page of the Mercury... Oh the giddy excitement of it all!
  • MrLargo said:

_MrDick said:

It's a valid point, and I'm sure there's some truth in it. However, I have always been impatient, even back in the good old days. That's why I always got sucked in by the Clubcall Headlines - "International striker set to sign? (the answer usually being "no"), "Curbs on transfer chase" ("we've not signed anyone yet, but we probably will before too long"), "Big money signing imminent?" ("no").

It was impatience that my resulted in my not getting any pocket money for two months in the early '90's. I think we've always been impatient, it's just easier to indulge the impatience now.
    I too was a bit over excited when there was talk of Chris Malkin signing for actual money in our 95/96 play off season. I was just use to such sparse transfer talk that if there were any sniffs of rumours I was all over it. Many a premium rate call racked up on my dad's landline. You'd be desperate for that transfer news but would have to spend 5 mins listening to some interview Steve Gritt gave post Oxford away or something
  • cabbles said:

MrLargo said:

_MrDick said:

I too was a bit over excited when there was talk of Chris Malkin signing for actual money in our 95/96 play off season. I was just use to such sparse transfer talk that if there were any sniffs of rumours I was all over it. Many a premium rate call racked up on my dad's landline. You'd be desperate for that transfer news but would have to spend 5 mins listening to some interview Steve Gritt gave post Oxford away or something
    Exactly that! Sat in the lounge with a clock in front of me, knowing I've already done 6 minutes and all I've learned is that Kim Grant's thigh strain is responding well to treatment, and the reserves are playing a behind-closed-doors friendly against Colchester on Wednesday morning!

I think I remember Chris Malkin - fell through due to a failed medical I think. He went to Scumwall and we signed Bradley Allen instead. Great days!
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!