Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Rumours Rumours Rumours - The Big Kahuna

Comments

• Pedro45 said:

Addicted said:

Just to be clear, I dont want us to sign 20 players. I want us to sign 10, of a decent quality. Alarm bells are ringing because we dont need just 3-4 signings like many other teams in this division. We need far more, therefore logically should start far earlier.

I dont doubt that we'll start the season with centre backs. If we sell our current 2 though we'll need 3 decent signings in that position.

I dont doubt we'll start the season with more than 1 winger. Again though, if the 2 we have go then we'll need 3-4 decent signings.

A right back.

A left back.

2-3 centre mids.

At least 1 striker.

Seems like a lot of work and a fair few positions to be covered by unknowns. We've been here before, it doesn't work out well if you wait.

I agree pretty much, but what we as fans don't know is what the club already has lined up? For all we know, we may have signed a couple of wingers, two centre halves, and a cheap young right back? As with previous years, the announcements come when contracts end, and when the new deal is worked out between parties. The key date is the end of this month, when contracts expire. Then we will see some movement... if we haven't signed anyone by the start of August, I'll be panicking alongside you!
    Contracts do expire at the end of the month but deals can be agreed and announced earlier, Ings signing for Liverpool is one of many examples.
  • Can someone design 10 new players please and send them into the club

• £750k - I'd bite their hands off. Harriot has the potential to be a very good player but I don't think he has it in him to strive to improve. He is a big fish in a tiny pond merchant.
  • I used to work with Harriotts uncle and he was telling me how Powell wanted him there and enquired in January, so the tracking by Huddersfield could have legs.
  • few decent free transfers from Palace. Sure a few must have retired or already found clubs though ie Gerrard and Lampard are on the list.
  • Regarding the hits and misses with player recruitment, these are bound to happen. The fact is that the "misses" move on fairly sharpish and we are left with some decent players. Not enough but still good enough for a top half finish.

It's not entirely clear who is making all the recruiting decisions but overall I think it's working in that we have the basis of a competitive squad to which we need just four or five quality players added this summer. If none of our top players leave (which is a big assumption) that would give us 18 quality players.

Last summer both Liege and Charlton recruited ten players each, some free, some on loan and some for fees.

We might need ten more players by end January but I don't think we need ten by end August. As posted before it will be the quality of the signings (and replacements ) which determines the ambition.

For sure decent players moving from our competitors will be in high demand and therefore not cheap, so I reckon most of our signings will come from Europe. If we can repeat and even improve upon the 2014 recruitment then we should have a decent squad.

One right back, two centres back (both may go), one right mid (who may go), two centre mids ( I'm sorry but I'm not counting lepoint), two left mids (one may go, the other is a crock) and two strikers. Yeah 3-4 players will do!!

You really talk utter nonsense.
  • Sponsored links:

• Does the Jupiler Pro League publish a retained list? I suspect that is a more likely source of players.
  • Guidetti would be an excellent signing.
  • Guidetti is a phenomenal player and I'm surprised he's not at Celtic (just looked it up and him and the manager fell out) the article also mentioned that Feyenoord and Trabzanspor want him. We probably have very little chance but It'd be an incredible signing.
  • Fucking shit anyway.

And he looks like a dick.
    Tattoos and a shaved head...must be a hard dick though
  • Fucking shit anyway.

Plus we're over our quota on baldies.
  • Fucking shit anyway.

Tattoos and a shaved head...must be a hard dick though
    If that's what you're in to.
  • He looks like he probably smells strongly of pungent French cheese. On that basis, not too disappointed to have missed out. I would prefer to sign players who offer a more robust odour, Gouda, Gruyere or maybe even some cheddar.

• Jon Le Gossip sounds like a character out of Only Fools and Horses.
  • Sponsored links:

• Greenie said:

Not looking good is it so far? If we are already missing out on top championship players due to our refusal to pay the going rate in wages, it means roly is not prepared to push the boat out. Back to getting in leige outcasts and more foreign mercenaries. It is no wonder JBG and Gomez will leave when mid table appears to be utopia to Roland.

Desire to break even = lack of investment = mediocrity.

An apt username.
    Beat me to it
  • Harry Osbourne signs for Welling.

Good luck Harry
  • Semi Ajayi Released by arsenal and on his way back to Charlton. Adam Le Fondre rumour still persisting.
  • edited June 2015
    Isn't Adeloye, just released by Stoke one of our ex young guns too.
  • Semi Ajayi Released by arsenal and on his way back to Charlton. Adam Le Fondre rumour still persisting.

Where's this from. Seen he's been released but who is saying he's coming back?
  • Isn't Adeloye, just released by Stoke one of our ex young guns too.

yes, went to Millwall then Stoke!!
  • edited June 2015
  • Addicted said:

Pedro45 said:

When contracts end on July 1st, we will see movement - we do every year! I also think Bulot will be sold to us. We have the makings of a good team, and we do need some new (good) blood, but there is no point paying £30k or £40k a week to someone like Darren Bent (much as I'd love to have him back...) when that will simply mean we lose double what we are currently losing a year. The signings of Igor and Johann show that there are good players out there willing to fight for an opportunity to showcase themselves and hope to get to play Premiership football as a result. We just need a couple more of these, plus some experienced pro's, and we should be fine.

Thing is, don't you think that every team will be looking for these players? Its not as easy as picking out a list of cheap, good, young and hungry players that nobody else knows about.

Current rate of signing success under Roland is about 50%. If we need 10 players that means we need to sign 20, or change our approach of gambling on untested young foreign players.

A few alarm bells are ringing.
    I agree. And 50% is possibly being generous.

For all the good work (at the Valley, the new training ground, when and if it happens, the financial stability and not being Spiv brothers) that the RD has donethere is still a huge question mark over both the incoming and outgoing player deals.

The bumpy ride continues
    I agree with everything you say. I think it feels even worse because the poor signings have been so unbelievably bad
  • Madz said:

When Harriot is on form he is good for Championship level. The problem is his consistency. We know he can score goals and has pace, but his head drops very quickly. 750k is not a bad price for him at all. He is good but not great and certainly not irreplaceable.

There is no way we are releasing all the players and making others available for transfer unless we have plans for bringing people in. RD is not going to let his mate Luzon start the season with a weakened squad and only with untested youth players. The players we brought in last year came in and made a difference. Most not heard of but still came good. I'm sure the scouts are looking for the right kinds of players, for the right price and with the right attitude. The last thing we need is overpaid players who come in a rock the boat. We need team players. I think most of those who came in last season did that.

As for not paying enough wages for players of a certain level my understanding is Watt and Vetokele are on a pretty decent wages each so its not as though we won't pay the wages, its probably more a case of we won't pay high wages for just anyone to make up the numbers which is sensible and has always been the case even in Curbs day.

I'm not concerned about the lack of transfers yet at all. I will be more worried if we get to the first preseason game with none, but that's a long way off yet.

Is that not more or less what he did to Luzon at Liege?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!