Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Rumours Rumours Rumours - The Big Kahuna

Comments

• I would have been incredibly pissed off if no one from our scouting team was at the euro under 21's, especially as our entire player search seems to follow the three rules of "cheap, young and based in Europe". Also, we have a player out there right now so I'd expect us to be watching him too
  • I couldn't make up a more ridiculous rumour than that

You could Nick ?

Simon Church to Chelsea.

• edited June 2015
  • Scoham said:
    I think that is just Prague Addick blagging a few freebies : - )

Seriously, good to see our name there. Surprising number not there though.
  • edited June 2015
  • Re. JBG he might sign a new deal with us but if he has real interest from the FAPL then we will have to offer telephone numbers to keep him. Fortunately for us, like Stephens it is in his interests to play to the best of his ability next season for that will get him noticed.

sam3110 said:

I would have been incredibly pissed off if no one from our scouting team was at the euro under 21's, especially as our entire player search seems to follow the three rules of "cheap, young and based in Europe". Also, we have a player out there right now so I'd expect us to be watching him too

Agree about we should be scouting there but quite frankly I just don't get this all our players are cheap bullshit. We have paid more out in decent transfer fees since RD took over than we have since we were in the top flight.

If you want to bash Roland find a more accurate and credible way than making comments that are palpably untrue.

This
    Many of our signings last summer were free agents but that doesn't make them cheap.
    The other favourite to drop into any thread is the business of January 2014 even though every one of those players have moved on.

With the Gomez money burning a hole is RD's pocket this window could be a big step forwards. We already have 15 decent players and it appears Bulot hasn't shown up to Liege pre-season so let's wait and see.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    I think that is just Prague Addick blagging a few freebies : - )

Seriously, good to see our name there. Surprising number not there though.
    Yes, Prague Addick is pretending to be a scout as he heard that the scouts will have access to some decent beer!
  • sam3110 said:

sam3110 said:

I would have been incredibly pissed off if no one from our scouting team was at the euro under 21's, especially as our entire player search seems to follow the three rules of "cheap, young and based in Europe". Also, we have a player out there right now so I'd expect us to be watching him too

Agree about we should be scouting there but quite frankly I just don't get this all our players are cheap bullshit. We have paid more out in decent transfer fees since RD took over than we have since we were in the top flight.

If you want to bash Roland find a more accurate and credible way than making comments that are palpably untrue.

SHG I'd brush up on who you are bashing if I were you, I'm a mainstay in the RD supporters camp, I see cheap as a good thing, I'd rather spend 3 million quid on Vetokele than 14 on McCormack, and find it hilarious that a team will gladly spend 35million on a player just because he is English, when for that money you can pretty much take your pick of players across the world (Carroll costing as much as Diego Costa for example)

Young, cheap and based in Europe is a lot better than old, expensive and based in England in my opinion, and I'm glad we have signed Bauer rather than a 30+ ex prem player with nothing to prove
    All very true, especially with the Vetokele and McCormack point, although the reason English players are at a premium is because clubs need to hit their home-grown quotas.
  • Of course we have scouts at the EU21's, our network scouts love the old played youth internationally tag - not that it's a sign of a great player in my books - they seem to think playing at an International youth stage = chance of full International caps so value. Nego, PP, Koc, Thuram etc... rarely will we find a good mould, they're still learning their trade as a player and to chuck them in a much more physical and higher level, the Championship, is a risk. Some will pull off but it's lazy.

• Of course we have scouts at the EU21's, our network scouts love the old played youth internationally tag - not that it's a sign of a great player in my books - they seem to think playing at an International youth stage = chance of full International caps so value. Nego, PP, Koc, Thuram etc... rarely will we find a good mould, they're still learning their trade as a player and to chuck them in a much more physical and higher level, the Championship, is a risk. Some will pull off but it's lazy.

Sorry. I think most of that is nonsense. Of course some won't push on and up but many will. It's a showcase of the players that of their age group are considered by the countries to be the pick of the crop. It would be negligent not to be there.

• edited June 2015

Of course we have scouts at the EU21's, our network scouts love the old played youth internationally tag - not that it's a sign of a great player in my books - they seem to think playing at an International youth stage = chance of full International caps so value. Nego, PP, Koc, Thuram etc... rarely will we find a good mould, they're still learning their trade as a player and to chuck them in a much more physical and higher level, the Championship, is a risk. Some will pull off but it's lazy.

Sorry. I think most of that is nonsense. Of course some won't push on and up but many will. It's a showcase of the players that of their age group are considered by the countries to be the pick of the crop. It would be negligent not to be there.

I didn't state I don't think many won't push on to a higher level. I don't doubt that.

I also didn't state we shouldn't be there. I just think it's lazy scouting, it's good as a potential scouting, future scouting - we have signed a handful that aren't ready when these scouts have been thinking they were.. It's not moulded to us, we need some form of consistency in our transfers.

Good for a very almost completed squad addition, not good trying to buy the best talent from any old country's youth system and lob them in. I noticed it very early on and was proved right with the signings I didn't like, it's not right for us. PP being bigged up, the fee paid and then struggling in the U21's was laughable antics, quite embarassing almost - the poor lads probably had his confidence shot from our own owners and scouts misjudgement.
  • edited June 2015

Of course we have scouts at the EU21's, our network scouts love the old played youth internationally tag - not that it's a sign of a great player in my books - they seem to think playing at an International youth stage = chance of full International caps so value. Nego, PP, Koc, Thuram etc... rarely will we find a good mould, they're still learning their trade as a player and to chuck them in a much more physical and higher level, the Championship, is a risk. Some will pull off but it's lazy.

I didn't state I don't think many won't push on to a higher level. I don't doubt that.

I also didn't state we shouldn't be there. I just think it's lazy scouting, it's good as a potential scouting, future scouting - we have signed a handful that aren't ready when these scouts have been thinking they were.. It's not moulded to us, we need some form of consistency in our transfers.

Good for a very almost completed squad addition, not good trying to buy the best talent from any old country's youth system and lob them in.
    Do you wake up on the wrong side of bed with piss in your cheerios every morning?
  • DeeBee said:

Good for a very almost completed squad addition, not good trying to buy the best talent from any old country's youth system and lob them in.
    Do you wake up on the wrong side of bed with piss in your cheerios every morning?
    For having an opinion on our scouts? Yep that's exactly how I wake up! How'd you guess!?
  • edited June 2015
    DeeBee said:

Eh?

Anyway, I prefer Coco Pops.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2015

DeeBee said:

Good for a very almost completed squad addition, not good trying to buy the best talent from any old country's youth system and lob them in. I noticed it very early on and was proved right with the signings I didn't like, it's not right for us. PP being bigged up, the fee paid and then struggling in the U21's was laughable antics, quite embarassing almost - the poor lads probably had his confidence shot from our own owners and scouts misjudgement.
    So it's lazy scouting to be at the place where every player considered by their countries to be the best of their age are all together in a competitive scenario ?

Fair do's.

Yes. The equivalent of Utd scouts watching World Cup and picking players they want. Of course it's lazy, judging a player at the International stage isn't enough when big money is on the line. They may not even be playing their natural position.

Anyway that's my opinion that we're hunting in the wrong woods, and our recent history shows that. Look closer to home, we'll have more luck picking the more suited players, just have to look a bit harder.
  • Serge Gnabry is a loan (from Arse) rumour to us I've heard twice now. Probably just one of 'those' type of rumours though....
  • Could it also be that scouts are watching players they've already scouted at tournaments as well? Just to see how the perform on that stage?
  • How much's a Tea Urn?

A hell of a lot than a Greek Urn right now !
  • Serge Gnabry is a loan (from Arse) rumour to us I've heard twice now. Probably just one of 'those' type of rumours though....

Have read that too. Wenger wants him to get more experience at a lower level
  • If it was the only scouting we do than I would agree but I believe we do more, at least Phil Chapple does.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!