Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chelsea - Abramovich sanctioned (p9)

Comments

• Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Just bumped into Steve Avery at Swanley services coffee machine. I asked about if the sanctions would affect Mason Burstows transfer. He said he hadn’t seen the news so would read up back in the cat but doubted it as we’ve already been paid the first instalment 
    Does he do all his reading in the cat ? 😉 
  • Options
    The sound of Chelsea fans on 5Live is pretty telling, fuck the Ukrainians what about is the vibe 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    The sound of Chelsea fans on 5Live is pretty telling, fuck the Ukrainians what about is the vibe 
    Quite incredible some of the views expressed.
  • Options
    The people i feel sorry for in all this are the ordinary behind the scenes workers at Chelsea, some of whom will no doubt lose their jobs as a result of the sanctions.
    Scummy fans and scummy club....look what they did to the Valley in the 70's....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am finding the difference in views of Chelsea between different generations of fans fascinating….

The younger fans have always only ever known them being a big club and as such see them as one of the elite.

Problem is those of us with longer memories are well aware that they are not that big a club…. Take Romans money away and what they are doing is not naturally sustainable by a mile.

Spurs are ten thousand times bigger as a club. Chelsea are like Man City for me…. And not in the same tier as Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs.

Chelsea in my eyes are like a West Ham.
    Depends how far back you're going though? If you grew up in the 70s and 80s then yes you won't see them historically as a big club.

But people forget that in the 7 years before Abramovich took over, Chelsea won 6 trophies and finished in the top 6 of the PL every season. They were already in the Champions league when he bought them. 
  • Options

note the interviewer - says it all really its Roland's mate.. Has Shay Given commented yet?
  • Options
    It’s all very well Syed smugly retweeting that, however he is in that clip himself guilty of promulgating the spin put out at the time that RA was over here to “protect himself” from Putin. This spin has now been comprehensively debunked by Catherine Belton’s book, despite RA looking to bankrupt her in court (and failing quite miserably). Syed ought to recognise that, otherwise Chelsea idiots will start to use it to argue its not fair because “Roman” wasn’t on Putin’s side.
  • Options
    I am finding the difference in views of Chelsea between different generations of fans fascinating….

The younger fans have always only ever known them being a big club and as such see them as one of the elite.

Problem is those of us with longer memories are well aware that they are not that big a club…. Take Romans money away and what they are doing is not naturally sustainable by a mile.

Spurs are ten thousand times bigger as a club. Chelsea are like Man City for me…. And not in the same tier as Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs.

Depends how far back you're going though? If you grew up in the 70s and 80s then yes you won't see them historically as a big club.

But people forget that in the 7 years before Abramovich took over, Chelsea won 6 trophies and finished in the top 6 of the PL every season. They were already in the Champions league when he bought them. 
    People also forget that pre Abramovich they were in serious financial trouble and not far from going under. That’s when Ken Bates sold the club and all their troubles went away. They gambled on making the step up to become one of the big clubs of the world and it paid off for many years up till now. 
    Many years back at one of our supporters club meetings one of our then directors called Abramovich a “crook and we know how he got his money”. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Wage bill is £28m a month 😄😄😄😄
    Who will pay that now?
    They must have money in the bank for a bit of cash flow. I'm sure a business that was valued at £3,000,000,000 only last week would be able to find a trifling £28,000,000 down the back of a directors box sofa. 
    £16 million 'cash at bank' apparently - and RA cannot feed in any more.
    Could just imagine Matt Southall rocking up with his lucky pound coin to have a go at that nest egg.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    This is certainly a good way to focus the mind to get a sale done, I think that £3bn valuation has just taken a huge hammering. 

Almost a shame if that money was seized and really could go to help people.

One thing's for sure though, the Premier League is a massive spectacle globally, the Russian government can pump propaganda into people's houses but they can't manipulate league rankings and hide strange things happening at one of the biggest clubs on Earth.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    They are allowed to spend a maximum of £20,000 for travel to away games, which could be a real problem for overseas Champions League matches
    Ryanair.
    Nah! Let them go on the coach.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    It is less fair what has happened to Ukraine.  What planet do these people  exist on. I think Chelski should be banned or wrapped up to stop Abramovic profiting from the evil he supports. 
    I think Chelski should be banned or wrapped up just for the shits and giggles of it.
    That as well. I believe he bought the club for a £1 from Ken Bates. Abramovic has always had that smug look about him. There was a time in the 60's when I knew some of the Chelsea players including Osgood through a Charlton  player.  They were decent blokes. 
    I think Abramovic  should  be given his quid back and told that is it as he is still in a supporter if Putin . 
    Abramovic(h) is still in a supporter ???  I know they all love the crook but isn't that going a bit far ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I had forgotten that Abramovic doesn't own Stamford Bridge and is in fact a fans group that have the deeds. 
    If you're paying God knows how many £millions for a football club you'd surely think the Ground would be part of the deal?
    Similar to our situation and it's been mentioned how many investors would be/are reluctant to get involved as they wouldn't own any actual bricks and mortar.
    Might this be a stumbling block for Abramovics quick sale aspirations?
    Good points. I didn't realise RA didn't own the ground. Yes, a huge stumbling block to a sale I would say. 
  • Options
    Not sure Dorries has got this one quite right. If the football club is "the bedrock of the community"  and with the stroke of the pen you have effectively just trashed that community ( with no further ticket sales, no chance of seeing the team at SB except STH's, and a shoal of other measures against that "community". 

Is it not possible to keep the club operating as was but with all revenue streams going to the Govt and not RA? Seems punishing Chelsea fans, while enjoyable on one level, is not a just response. 

If the issue is that RA is sanctioned for his previous close ties to the war criminal Putin then is there not an argument that anyone with any close ties to anyone who bombs the hell out of another group of people should also be sanctioned? I imagine the multibillion pound global sporting world would shrink quite markedly if this was the case.

• Options
    sm said:
    cafc999 said:
    Wonder if they will still sing his name this weekend?
    Probably, they were never smart enough to ask where the money came from.
    In the main, fans don’t care, they just want success 😞
    I don't think any fans do tbh. Charlton fans would be singing Abramovich's name if he bought Charlton instead of Chelsea back in 2005 
    We may have at the time but I would hope we wouldn't once the invasion started, or was even threatened.
  • Options
    There's new legislation going through parliament at the moment to change the sanctions rules, as the ones we adopted after we left the EU's sanctions regime turned out not the be very well written. I get the impression from journalists on Twitter that the intention is that once the new rules are in place the government intend to allow someone else to buy the club, with the proceeds of the sale being frozen, at which point the club can resume normal trading.
    Shouldn't that be 'start normal trading', it's not been normal trading for the last 19 years. 
  • Options
    The two people with Syed there come over as complete intellectual lightweights.
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    The people i feel sorry for in all this are the ordinary behind the scenes workers at Chelsea, some of whom will no doubt lose their jobs as a result of the sanctions.
    Scummy fans and scummy club....look what they did to the Valley in the 70's....
    To be fair, the fire in The Covered End and the demolished turnstiles caused £25 of improvements.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

But they'd spent beyond their means in that time and was on the cusp of being shut down as they had defaulted on a £75m loan...  they had debts around £140-150m then before the huge influx of PL cash of recent times.

Abramovich saved them from the abyss.
    And Frank Sinclair