Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Proud Valiants - Charlton's first LGBT Group

Comments

• Options
    Nicholas said:

There must be a reason for LGBT to start this group out the blue.

I genuinely don't think a lot of people realise in near enough all companies that have a sizeable workforce, groups such as LGBT, Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic, or a more umbrella Diversity in the Workplace group are completely commonplace.

• Options

I don't understand how they can be so easily offended by someone shouting at a football player something like 'poof'. People seem to be offended at everything

Do you have a peanut for a brain?
    Or is this one if those whhooooooshhhhhh moments I've missed the joke.
  • Options

Nicholas said:

I genuinely don't think a lot of people realise in near enough all companies that have a sizeable workforce, groups such as LGBT, Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic, or a more umbrella Diversity in the Workplace group are completely commonplace.

And they are open to anyone, they also always advertise social events which sound bloody good. My demographic don't do that at work. In fact I'm considering joining the LGBT network just to take part in the events (apart from the queen of the Nile night, that isn't for me)
  • Options

I don't understand how they can be so easily offended by someone shouting at a football player something like 'poof'. People seem to be offended at everything

*Get's out family size bag of popcorn, 2 litre of Pepsi Max and sits back with 3D glasses on
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Carter said:

Haha probably because it's offensive to your average common or garden gay man.

I do kind of get where you are coming from though as that is the sort of language me and my scumbag mates use all the time. In fact that is tame. But that's for me, if I want to jokingly call one of my pals something like 'john the c***' or 'kev the faggot', it's not for everyone's earshot nor should I assume that everyone around me shares my humour.

Sounds to me like you need new mates if that's what you refer to them as
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Carter said:

Haha probably because it's offensive to your average common or garden gay man.

I do kind of get where you are coming from though as that is the sort of language me and my scumbag mates use all the time. In fact that is tame. But that's for me, if I want to jokingly call one of my pals something like 'john the c*** or 'kev the faggot', it's not for everyone's earshot nor should I assume that everyone around me shares my humour.

However, using 'poof' as an insult to a footballer is implying that by being gay he is lesser of a human being. And that is wrong. I could give a dozen other analogies relating to LGBT, ethnicity etc and I honestly see your angle.

But does the formation of a group of like - minded individuals affect me or you? Nope.

Steady on 'Carter the Farter'
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

I won't presume to know anything about your ethnicity or sexual orientation or gender identity, but say you're at a Charlton game, you're sitting near the touchline and the ball is rolling towards touch. A player is jogging to retrieve the ball and the man next to you yells out 'Get a move on you lazy (insert ethnic-based slur here)'. You just so happen to be the same ethnicity as this player. How are you going to feel? You're not personally being yelled at, but are you going to be uncomfortable? You look around, and no one bats an eyelid. Some people nod in a agreement. Someone's kid 2 rows back yells the same remark as kids tend to repeat what they hear adults say. Some people laugh as the kid says this, since it's funny when kids yell abuse I guess?

Now replace the ethnic slur with a homophobic one and imagine you're an LGBT in the same scenario. The above scenario will hopefully not happen at Charlton nowadays but it'd be fair to say that, at least at other football clubs, this was a fairly regular thing when racial abuse was commonplace on the terraces. Racism is - quite correctly - dealt with a lot more harshly than it used to be. But homophobic language is still considered 'normal'. It might not be common place, at least at Charlton, but as I mentioned in an earlier post, the lack of openly gay footballers in the Football League is a symptom of this fact.
    I can honestly say I wouldn't care one single bit, I don't Get offended easily and imagine getting offended at a stranger shouting a word at another stranger but each to their own
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Carter said:

Nicholas said:

And they are open to anyone, they also always advertise social events which sound bloody good. My demographic don't do that at work. In fact I'm considering joining the LGBT network just to take part in the events (apart from the queen of the Nile night, that isn't for me)
    out with it Carter, what's Queen of the nile night?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Too much for me
  • Options

Fiiish said:

I won't presume to know anything about your ethnicity or sexual orientation or gender identity, but say you're at a Charlton game, you're sitting near the touchline and the ball is rolling towards touch. A player is jogging to retrieve the ball and the man next to you yells out 'Get a move on you lazy (insert ethnic-based slur here)'. You just so happen to be the same ethnicity as this player. How are you going to feel? You're not personally being yelled at, but are you going to be uncomfortable? You look around, and no one bats an eyelid. Some people nod in a agreement. Someone's kid 2 rows back yells the same remark as kids tend to repeat what they hear adults say. Some people laugh as the kid says this, since it's funny when kids yell abuse I guess?

Now replace the ethnic slur with a homophobic one and imagine you're an LGBT in the same scenario. The above scenario will hopefully not happen at Charlton nowadays but it'd be fair to say that, at least at other football clubs, this was a fairly regular thing when racial abuse was commonplace on the terraces. Racism is - quite correctly - dealt with a lot more harshly than it used to be. But homophobic language is still considered 'normal'. It might not be common place, at least at Charlton, but as I mentioned in an earlier post, the lack of openly gay footballers in the Football League is a symptom of this fact.
    I can honestly say I wouldn't care one single bit, I don't Get offended easily and imagine getting offended at a stranger shouting a word at another stranger but each to their own
    Straight Honky Beardy
  • Options
    I'm with Greenie i think here. I personally have never heard any homophobic abuse, banter yes but pure abuse? no. Never heard trans mentioned let alone abused.

I have however heard some vile painful to hear abuse aimed at overweight players/ugly players/bald players/ginger players and have even cringed sometimes when there are plenty of the aforementioned types dotted around the vacinity. And this is abuse not just banter.

I literally, honestly, genuinely don't see the difference but one is just accepted and the other is up there with the crimes of the century.

No one should be abused in a ground but why are we so quick to defend some abuse and not others.

If hearing someone being called a poof is really that upsetting i honestly don't know how some survived the school playground.

I guess we all see things diff due to our upbringing and who we associate with but i don't know anyone in my famiky, friend or work circle who'd be offended by a group of football fans singing "we can see you holding hands" at another group based on an obviouly silly exagerrarted steteotype, just like "does the social know you're here" and sign on sign on" etc - immature (yes) harmless songs based on funny stereotyoes and not in the same league as monkey chants aimed at black players like someone said earlier.

As ever on this site - facinating how differently we all see things.
  • Options
    My personal take on this, is that he spouted his nonsensical logic and bile, and when challenged tried to hide behind religion to justify his feelings. I doubt he has a single religious bone in his body.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Fiiish said:

Straight Honky Beardy
    I feel like you may know me
  • Options
    Carter said:

But that is not the issue is it

This is people questioning why a group of people with a common interests have announced an official 'group'. Calling someone a daywalker because they are pale and ginger or calligraphy someone fat because they have glandular whatever is as offensive as he person on the receiving end deems it to be. You sound like a bit of a geezer with a thick skin who probably enjoys bantery piss ripping. I do. But calling someone a poof in a derogatory manner is the same as using an ethnic slur in a derogatory manner. You don't have to have a mental breakdown to find it offensive, finding offence can be not wanting your kids to repeat it.

I had to "like" that post, even though I didn't know what the phrase, Calling someone a daywalker because they are pale and ginger or calligraphy someone fat because they have glandular whatever means.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Maybe it is just me, but I can't think of a single incident where someone at a game around me, home or away, has shouted "poof" or anything like that at a player. That would be seen as extremely tame in the eyes of most football supporters looking to vent and abuse someone. To suggest that it happens is quite wide of the mark if we're talking about Charlton here.

The only over the top "homophobic" abuse I can remember is the stuff that gets directed at Darren Ambrose, it is by no means a regular problem we have.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Maybe it is just me, but I can't think of a single incident where someone at a game around me, home or away, has shouted "poof" or anything like that at a player. To suggest that it happens is quite wide of the mark if we're talking about Charlton here.

The only over the top abuse I can remember is the stuff that gets directed at Darren Ambrose, it is by no means a regular problem we have.

So, you can't think of when it's ever happened, apart from when it's happened?
  • Options
    Carter I've admittedly moved on from the original story.

I ain't got a problem with any group and the original twitter abuser sounds like a complete knob who's been dealt with in the correct way.

The discussion has gone of at a diff tangent and maybemI'm just playing devils advocat but abuse is abuse to me and as you say it's only as abusive as the receipent finds it.

So why is it that the general public/authorities etc are aggrieved by some abuse and not others. Some poor overweight boy could be sitting there hearing some vile abuse being dished out to a chubby player and no one gives a s**t.

Yet two blocks along soneone could shout get stuck in you poof at a fancy dan who shirks a challenge and somewhow that is worse, needs to be erradicated from the game, justifies supporter groups etc etc.

I just dont get it - it's obviously me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I ain't got a problem with any group and the original twitter abuser sounds like a complete knob who's been dealt with in the correct way.

The discussion has gone of at a diff tangent and maybemI'm just playing devils advocat but abuse is abuse to me and as you say it's only as abusive as the receipent finds it.

So why is it that the general public/authorities etc are aggrieved by some abuse and not others. Some poor overweight boy could be sitting there hearing some vile abuse being dished out to a chubby player and no one gives a s**t.

Yet two blocks along soneone could shout get stuck in you poof at a fancy dan who shirks a challenge and somewhow that is worse, needs to be erradicated from the game, justifies supporter groups etc etc.

And me
  • Options

The first example is unpleasant, offensive and moronic. But that's all.

The second example is the same, but it's also illegal.

That's one difference.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

I ain't got a problem with any group and the original twitter sounds like a complete knob who's been dealt with in the correct way.

That's one difference.
    Yes Chiz but why? Who and why decided one is worse than the other, enough to become illegal and why are people allowed to make those decisions for us when as Carter pointed, its always personal to the receipent.
  • Options

Chizz said:

I ain't got a problem with any group and the original twitter sounds like a complete knob who's been dealt with in the correct way.

That's one difference.
    Yes Chiz but why? Who and why decided one is worse than the other, enough to become illegal and why are people allowed to make those decisions for us when as Carter pointed, its always personal to the receipent.
    This is a good read... http://www.findlaw.co.uk/law/criminal/youth_crime/10236.html
  • Options
    I've never heard any homophobic abuse accept the "we can see you holding hands" chant, which Brighton fans responded. If this group feels more comfortable together and are more likely to go to games then it's only got to be a good thing.
    What if someone does shout the word poof (also haven't heard anyone shout that) in earshot of them though? Are they going to band together and confront the person? Could lead to more trouble if so.
  • Options
    Yeah my thumbs are too big and manly for these tiny queenie buttons on my phone and I think spellchecker thought it would play funny buggers!

Playing devils advocate and assuming a little bit here beyond the legalities

If someone is a fatty boom boom it is often a consequence of choice. Whereas sexuality isn't, nor is skin pigmentation. Of course that doesn't make any jibes less hurtful to the recipient. That is maybe why one is illegal and the other isn't whilst being equally nasty

Soooo, a group called 'food addicks' is a possibility for the larger supporters. Or dwarf and proud for the more vertically challenged.

• Options
    Carter said:

Yeah my thumbs are too big and manly for these tiny queenie buttons on my phone and I think spellchecker thought it would play funny buggers!

If someone is a fatty boom boom it is often a consequence of choice. Whereas sexuality isn't, nor is skin pigmentation. Of course that doesn't make any jibes less hurtful to the recipient. That is maybe why one is illegal and the other isn't whilst being equally nasty

Soooo, a group called 'food addicks' is a possibility for the larger supporters. Or dwarf and proud for the more vertically challenged.

Or being bald or ginger but we could go round all day with this. I'll just accept i see it differently to most.
  • Options
    Anyone fancy ordering a cake?
  • Options
    Those Food Addicks piss me off at half-time, waiting for their high calorie burgers, discussing what sauce to put on their 14 chips and then going back to their seat and talking up half on mine. Grrrr
  • Options

Carter said:

Or being bald or ginger but we could go round all day with this. I'll just accept i see it differently to most.
    No I think you see it right, good job for all of us the UK is as tolerant as it is. We're both grown ups so can really tell the difference between what is acceptable and what is not.