Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Proud Valiants - Charlton's first LGBT Group

167891012»

Comments

• Options

Haha.

Apart from that, the badge is still terrible and what is cisgender?

Cis gender basically means the gender you was born at by birth (male or female)
  • Options

Carter said:

Yeah my thumbs are too big and manly for these tiny queenie buttons on my phone and I think spellchecker thought it would play funny buggers!

Playing devils advocate and assuming a little bit here beyond the legalities

If someone is a fatty boom boom it is often a consequence of choice. Whereas sexuality isn't, nor is skin pigmentation. Of course that doesn't make any jibes less hurtful to the recipient. That is maybe why one is illegal and the other isn't whilst being equally nasty

Soooo, a group called 'food addicks' is a possibility for the larger supporters. Or dwarf and proud for the more vertically challenged.

Or being bald or ginger but we could go round all day with this. I'll just accept i see it differently to most.
    Because we don't live in a culture where gingers and slapheads get beaten up, or get banned from school, or have the possibility of marriage taken away, or where they are too afraid to show love for another ginger or bald person in public. People used to, and occasionally still do, get killed for being gay. Not for having no hair on your head.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

On the subject of homophobia at Charlton, this could backfire but I guess someone has to be brave here (this including away games) I've never had any issues, I sit in the north upper and I don't exactly think it's a secret to the people who know me that I'm not straight, (I'm actually engaged to somebody who happens to be transgender ftm) we've both been to games and I've been a season ticket holder for 4 seasons up till now?

The whole Brighton thing is pure banter i would even join in with that, and I've never heard a Charlton fan call a player a poof

You always get people who are stuck in time, that's just life

I personally think the group is a good idea as long as it's not OTT and not overly flamboyant and in everybody's faces, then no issues let them be! personly I have no interest in joining it purely because at the end of the day we go to Charlton to watch football not to try and see who in the stadium is lgbt, or anything else for that matter

Thanks Matt, I'm pleased you confirmed what i felt.
    That the Brighton "holding hands" is Banter and should not be confused with
    the shocking attacks and spiteful and criminal abuse that was rife in the past and that many Gay people still have to deal with today.

I'm also pleased that you endorsed what i was trying to say that the football was the main reason we go to the Valley and feel the match day experience as one.

As 1967 was the landmark for Gay people in this country, and this is still a short time in the History of persecution that took place before that in the UK.
    Progress is being made, in and out of football grounds.

The case of Alan Turing one of the most brilliant minds and great Heroes of this Country who killed himself because of the barbaric Laws at the time.

I accept you are talking about your self and not being a spokesperson,
    But i admire your candour and hope you feel empowered.

Cheers fellow Addick.

• Options

Soapboxsam,

Ironic that you dismiss abuse of gay people but then cite the gas chamber hissing.

Have you ever wondered where the pink triangle used by many gay activists originated?

I am not familiar with a pink triangle. Maybe everyone else is, but why don't you explain it for us? And maybe that will reveal the irony you refer to.
    http://www.hardenet.com/homocaust/pinktriangles.htm

Well, I never knew that. Charlton Life can be very enlightening sometimes.

But is it really reasonable to compare insulting chanting by a small minority of footy fans with the wholesale slaughter of millions of innocent people, or is that slightly over the top?

In saying that I don't defend homophobic or racist chanting by the way.

I didn't compare them in any way.

• Options
    edited May 2015

On the subject of homophobia at Charlton, this could backfire but I guess someone has to be brave here (this including away games) I've never had any issues, I sit in the north upper and I don't exactly think it's a secret to the people who know me that I'm not straight, (I'm actually engaged to somebody who happens to be transgender ftm) we've both been to games and I've been a season ticket holder for 4 seasons up till now?

The whole Brighton thing is pure banter i would even join in with that, and I've never heard a Charlton fan call a player a poof

You always get people who are stuck in time, that's just life

I personally think the group is a good idea as long as it's not OTT and not overly flamboyant and in everybody's faces, then no issues let them be! personly I have no interest in joining it purely because at the end of the day we go to Charlton to watch football not to try and see who in the stadium is lgbt, or anything else for that matter

Thanks Matt, I'm pleased you confirmed what i felt.
    That the Brighton "holding hands" is Banter and should not be confused with
    the shocking attacks and spiteful and criminal abuse that was rife in the past and that many Gay people still have to deal with today.

I'm also pleased that you endorsed what i was trying to say that the football was the main reason we go to the Valley and feel the match day experience as one.

As 1967 was the landmark for Gay people in this country, and this is still a short time in the History of persecution that took place before that in the UK.
    Progress is being made, in and out of football grounds.

The case of Alan Turing one of the most brilliant minds and great Heroes of this Country who killed himself because of the barbaric Laws at the time.

I accept you are talking about your self and not being a spokesperson,
    But i admire your candour and hope you feel empowered.

Cheers fellow Addick.

In all honesty there is likely more people at charlton and indeed around the football league who have supporters who are lgbt or involved in the lgbt community just on the whole reputation that football has they choose to keep it to themselfs, I know for fact that there is at least 5 people in the north upper alone who i know personly and as i said the main reason people dont know is because 1. what someone does with there life outside of charlton is really only there buissness and two because of the reputation Football has, and thirdly because we go there to watch Charlton enjoy the atmosfear and have a good time, I really could not care what type of people go to support Charlton regardless of there sexuality and gender
  • Options
    I can't see the harm in it and why people seem to object. If sexuality in football isn't an issue, why are more players not 'out' ?
  • Options
    They've tweeted a link to this online magazine which has slightly more info about their aims on page seven;

http://html5.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/default.aspx?pubname=QX Magazine&edid=1547b6e8-2f0f-4d7a-813e-0642d48c1a84
  • Options
    Is this the right thread to celebrate the ground breaking referendum result in Ireland. It has restored some of my faith in human nature.
  • Options
    Richard J said:

Is this the right thread to celebrate the ground breaking referendum result in Ireland. It has restored some of my faith in human nature.

Fact that there had to be a referendum is enough to make me doubt human nature
  • Options
    The only way I can find this thread is via Google for some reason, has it been hidden ?

Anyway, I caught up with one of the guys from the Proud Valiants for a bit more info on their origins and goals;

http://www.castrust.org/2015/06/proud-valiants-recognised-by-cafc/