Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Proud Valiants - Charlton's first LGBT Group

Comments

• Options

So we gave him his money back Why?

If u get kicked out and banned them fans don't get their money back so why should he, he has banned end of story.

And to the people that say Gays are unnatural let me quote Russell Howard.

"If gays are unnatural and you have an issue I assume you have never been on a plane as flying is the most unnatural thing a human can do"

did you just make that up Paulie?
    No it was when the 2 guys were arrested because they would not stop kissing on a flight
  • Options
    Rick everitt is having a pop at the club account on Twitter now!
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

Rick everitt is having a pop at the club account on Twitter now!

Beyond parody
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    It's all got a bit out of hand this.

Expect us to sign someone within the next 48hrs!!!!
  • Options
    To be fair to Charlton Athletic, why should they listen to the opinions of bigoted Christians? The UK has moved on from such a stupid set of beliefs and so has the football club.
  • Options
    He's going to be new poster boy of how those evil Belgiums are ruining the club. Two page exclusive in the next voice
  • Options
    Rothko said:

He's going to be new poster boy of how those evil Belgiums are ruining the club. Two page exclusive in the next voice

Jump .... how high?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2015
    I agree with Rick that it was amateurish to respond to him. That is what led to him asking for the season ticket refund, which led to this become a whole new story about him being banned.

It has now become a news story for the Evening Standard: standard.co.uk/news/uk/charlton-fan-banned-over-discriminatory-and-abusive-tweets-about-lgbt-supporters-group-10261878.html

As tragic and wrong the culprit's remarks were - how the club didn't foresee something like this happening astounds me.
  • Options
    The club have every right to call that kind of homophobia out, and tough shit for the culprits future.

Also, why shouldn't the club annouce the initiative? Because some bigot can't hold his tongue?
  • Options
    what a girl's blouse
  • Options
    He normally talks sense and I know he posts on here but sorry Rick you are miles off point there

this bloke was not only homophobic on Twitter he actually sent a email to the club, and also said he would meet the group at a game and see what happened then (that to me is a threat)
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    This is becoming the silly season,
    Does anyone know of a Transgender person who goes to CAFC ?
    Other than Kelly Malone at Millwall, i doubt it.
    what about Transvestites ? mainly straight men who put the girly clothes on once a week to get in touch with their feminine side. Should they have a letter ?

The point is every one is welcome at football from what ever planet they come from or whatever century they are living in. (as long as they don't break the law)

Other than the singing of" we can see you holding hands" to The Brighton fans
    which is becoming passe now, i don't see any problems, but then i don't go looking for problems or am any of LGBT.

Is this still a problem at football in England ?

As the Reggie Yates programes on BBC showed, there is plenty of issues in Russia and Eastern Europe concerning race and gay folk.
  • Options
    He's got an agenda, he's also entitled to an opinion as twitter so fantastically facilitates. Often giving the more stupid among us a platform to show the world how stupid they are. Like the Greek man did.

For what it's worth good on the club for backing something like this. It is the right of the gay man to play football as much as it is the right of the gay man to watch football. As much as it the right of any LGBT person.

Watch the grown up attitude in 'last goal wins' in mega macho Samoa for evidence of this.

Some of the more brilliant artistic and creative minds over history have happened to be gay. If one of them wants to play (and I mean no innuendo here) in the hole for us and make things tick for I would support them as much as I would an aggressive snarling, alpha male smashing into challenges.

I heard someone say about ten years ago there will soon be no 'gay' or 'straight' just people. The world is getting there slowly. And when it does those offended by things like gay pride will no longer be so, because I doubt there will be the need for such an event.
  • Options

To be fair to Charlton Athletic, why should they listen to the opinions of bigoted Christians? The UK has moved on from such a stupid set of beliefs and so has the football club.

With you on the first part, if you emphasise the word 'bigoted'.
    The second part makes you sound bigoted.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    How likely was it that the club could publicly support this initiative without offending someone? About zero, I should think, so that should have been priced in.

I think they are right to support and promote it, but the organisation has to be above calling out individuals on Twitter and if it isn't there will be a story.

The tweet on sexism here was in response to a specific suggestion that the club is right to respond to sexism, but in the real world the club can't police the internet and shouldn't try.

Don't kid yourselves there aren't Charlton fans who find some of the sexism on here far more offensive than "support Brighton", but it's their choice whether to use the site or not and that's what freedom of expression is all about.
  • Options
    Glad that we're the only club it seems to actually stand up for what it believes in. Most clubs would simply ignore the abuse and allow it to proceed on their official pages without comment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

How likely was it that the club could publicly support this initiative without offending someone? About zero, I should think, so that should have been priced in.

I think they are right to support and promote it, but the organisation has to be above calling out individuals on Twitter and if it isn't there will be a story.

The tweet on sexism here was in response to a specific suggestion that the club is right to respond to sexism, but in the real world the club can't police the internet and shouldn't try.

Don't kid yourselves there aren't Charlton fans who find some of the sexism on here far more offensive than "support Brighton", but it's their choice whether to use the site or not and that's what freedom of expression is all about.

I agree with where you're coming from Airman. People on here as in all walks of like seem to believe that they are (or should be) in charge of what is and is not offensive/acceptable and it's so hypocritical its hilarious.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    If anyone cares what I think..... I couldn't give a shit, wont effect my enjoyment or misery that supporting Charlton gives me
  • Options
    I assume as their official title is PROUD valiants they will be posting photos of their members[faces!] so they can be individually congratulated as they arrive at the first home game.
    Or will they actually form a secret society within the ground with signals to each other so as they can recognise each other but not be recognised.
    Whilst the chap who was banned was rather unsophisticated in making his point he did have some merit in his arguement in that there is no
    a]christian addicks group
    b]single lonely heterosexual valiants group
    c].....oh I think you get the idea.
  • Options
    You are right, that chant is as offensive as singing about people from Norwich liking mustard for example

I think it has a stigma of perceived homophobia about it because it is so old, if that makes sense. Also everyone vigorously defending their right to be offended has a right to say; a light hearted, decades old bit of leg pulling, once replied by the Brighton fans with a round of 'you're too ugly to be gay' is not offensive in my book. Humour always has a fall guy and depending on your own sense of humour and emotional intelligence is how you react to that.

The most offensive thing is nobody has come up with new material.

• Options
    Carter said:

You are right, that chant is as offensive as singing about people from Norwich liking mustard for example

I think it has a stigma of perceived homophobia about it because it is so old, if that makes sense. Also everyone vigorously defending their right to be offended has a right to say; a light hearted, decades old bit of leg pulling, once replied by the Brighton fans with a round of 'you're too ugly to be gay' is not offensive in my book. Humour always has a fall guy and depending on your own sense of humour and emotional intelligence is how you react to that.

The most offensive thing is nobody has come up with new material.

Yeah ok, you're gay, we get it.
  • Options
    The whole "we can see you holding hands" thing being sung by Charlton fans actually comes across to me as mocking of those who simplistically think all Brighton supporters are gay and that it should be ridiculed. Its laughing at those who are ignorant if anything.
  • Options

The abuse in question was below the belt and dealt with accordingly but I'll never agree that songs such as 'we can see you holding hands' at Brighton should be outlawed, despite how old and boring that particular one has become. It's humour and our football support is (was) famous for it and it was not so long ago that everyone was supporting the cartoonist is France for their right to effectively take the piss.

I'm sure some people found monkey chanting funny, and I'm sure that plenty of gay people would hate to listen to homophobic chanting. I'm not accusing you of anything, but homophobic chanting is wrong irrespective of how many people are amused by it imho
  • Options
    edited May 2015