Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Any Vapers on CL?

Comments

• Options
    When you say "banned" do you mean "banned in indoor public areas" or "banned altogether" ?
  • Options
    Public areas.
  • Options
    The BMA say that there is not enough evidence one way or the other to say whether or not it is safe. On that basis I think the authorities must err on the side of caution and ban it in public places.

There is also a major concern over the "vaping" devices themself. I don't doubt for a moment that good quality brands are capable of doing exactly what they say in filtering etc. etc. but this type of device is exactly the sort of item that will attract copy manufacture in China and other places. No way of knowing how good these will be therefore negating much of the valid research data.
  • Options
    After reading this I went and bought me an aspire premium kit. Haven't smoked a fag for three days and haven't missed it.

Thank you charlton life, you have come up trumps again
  • Options
    V-Revolution in Neal Street, Covent garden, Been on the Vapes for 11 Months now not had a fag or wanted one

www.v-revolution.com
  • Options

The BMA say that there is not enough evidence one way or the other to say whether or not it is safe. On that basis I think the authorities must err on the side of caution and ban it in public places.

There is also a major concern over the "vaping" devices themself. I don't doubt for a moment that good quality brands are capable of doing exactly what they say in filtering etc. etc. but this type of device is exactly the sort of item that will attract copy manufacture in China and other places. No way of knowing how good these will be therefore negating much of the valid research data.

The vast majority of devices are made in China. Most are manufactured to a very good standard, the main problem is either people not knowing enough about them or what is and isn't good and also that they need to buy good quality batteries.

I've always said I think there should be more research done to determine the impact of using them so I'm not completely disagreeing with you just that to ban something before any reliable research says that they are harmful is done is massively jumping the gun.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

I didn't know this thread was here. Just for the sake of announcing myself. I vape on an eLeaf 30W with a Subtank Mini on top. Smoked for about 3 years. Tried a shitty device which I gave up on and went back to cigarettes. A year later I bought my current set up and haven't had one for 4 months 3 days now. Don't even think about cigarettes anymore.

My subtank mini should be here by the weekend. Can't wait to chuck some serious clouds. Currently considering buying a dripper as well just to see what they are like.
    Great. Yeah I'm considering dripping aswell but I had go at rebuilding one of the stock coils on my subtank and it didn't go well at all so I'm not sure how well I'd fare.

Word of advice with the subtank. I had quite a bit of trouble with leaking to start with. Some said it was to do with the O Rings but they didn't make a difference to me. I eventually noticed that it would only leak with high VG juices (80/20). Not leak enough to spill on anything but enough so that there is visible bits of juice on the metal which got sticky and annoying. I changed to 60/40 and it hasn't been a problem since so bare that in mind if you have any issues with yours.
    MrOneLung said:

Thanks - so they are quite chunky then?

Pretty chunky yeah. I just snapped this picture of mine in my hand to give you an idea of how big it is. The top bit unscrews when I'm not using it which makes it a bit easier to put in my pocket.
    You need to stop biting your nails ;0)

Yep I do. It was my new years resolution before I decided to quit smoking. Can't give up two things in one year! haha

Whilst I don't disagree with you that some devices are made badly in China etc. You can normally tell if what you're inhaling is unsafe. If you buy your liquid from a reputable vendor or make it yourself, you know that the liquid itself is safe. The only stuff that you may not want to be inhaling is the stuff that comes off of the cotton wick if it is burnt by the device which can happen if it is badly made. But even then, you're going to know that it's unsafe to inhale because it'll taste like absolute shit.

The main cause for concern about badly made devices would be the risk of them blowing up in your face. But this is the same for everything electronic from TV's to phone chargers. If you buy your stuff from trusted places it'll be fine.

There's a lot of scaremongering regarding ecigarettes, a lot of it untrue such as the formaldehyde thing. All of the harmful by products that we know about so far are a result of inhaling burnt wick which would be frankly impossible if you know what you're doing.

For anyone that wants to get into it properly and find out exactly what you're inhaling, what all the jargon means and anything else you're wondering about I suggest you check out the community over at http://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/
  • Options
    This all sounds like a hobby in its own right
  • Options
    If you buy for example an iPhone charger from eBay for a couple of quid, even though it's got the apple logo and looks identical to the real thing and perhaps doesn't let on that its an imitation. It might well be manufactured just down the road from the real one. What you are buying is dangerous. It might well charge your phone but it's still dangerous. Why ? Because it's a rip off of the quality product. It won't do as well under tests as the quality product. It has no quality.

If anyone thinks that e cigarettes are not going to attract the same level of imitation and poor quality that my example of a phone charger does then they are I think kidding themselves.

Will people buy them ? Of course they will. People are generally stupid.

Until someone can prove that what goes into an e cigarette is in no way harmful I for one do not want to risk me or my loved ones being exposed. Do it in your own homes. It should be banned from public places.

• Options
    I hope you or your loved ones never walk down the street then, wouldn't want anyone exposed to exhaust fumes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

How much like the advertised flavours to they actually taste??

when did you last have a suicide bunny mothers milk?...;)
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

I hope you or your loved ones never walk down the street then, wouldn't want anyone exposed to exhaust fumes.

Two wrongs.....

• Options
    Well one wrong. One has been proven to be harmful to your health and as of yet the other hasn't. But it's fine, carry on with your view even though you have nothing to back it up with. Probably best if you stayed away from this thread if you have nothing positive to contribute.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Well one wrong. One has been proven to be harmful to your health and as of yet the other hasn't. But it's fine, carry on with your view even though you have nothing to back it up with. Probably best if you stayed away from this thread if you have nothing positive to contribute.

You not satisfied trolling in the Game of Thrones thread ?

• Options
    Wasn't trolling it was a bit of fun. I started this thread to give people some guidance if they were thinking of starting or if anyone wanted to share any good tips or sites to purchase things. You have your opinion based on very little which is fine but I'd rather this thread was used as a vehicle to be positive towards vaping.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    http://m.bma.org.uk/working-for-change/improving-and-protecting-health/tobacco/e-cigarettes

https://bma.org.uk/-/media/Files/PDFs/Working for change/Improving health/tobaccoecigarettespublicplaces_jan2013.pdf

My opinion is formed by working in in a Cancer Treatment Centre and by reading papers and articles published by serious medical opion like the ones above.
  • Options
    Thanks for that but it doesn't actually give anything in the way of research.
  • Options
    They already have proved it's completely safe. You just haven't researched it.

http://jpet.aspetjournals.org/content/91/1/52.abstract

If you buy for example an iPhone charger from eBay for a couple of quid, even though it's got the apple logo and looks identical to the real thing and perhaps doesn't let on that its an imitation. It might well be manufactured just down the road from the real one. What you are buying is dangerous. It might well charge your phone but it's still dangerous. Why ? Because it's a rip off of the quality product. It won't do as well under tests as the quality product. It has no quality.

If anyone thinks that e cigarettes are not going to attract the same level of imitation and poor quality that my example of a phone charger does then they are I think kidding themselves.

Will people buy them ? Of course they will. People are generally stupid.

Until someone can prove that what goes into an e cigarette is in no way harmful I for one do not want to risk me or my loved ones being exposed. Do it in your own homes. It should be banned from public places.

It shouldn't be banned until it's proven that it's bad, which it hasn't been conclusively. But yeah, some people feel the way you do which is why I don't vape when I'm around people in a public place. Aside from the street of course.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Thanks for that but it doesn't actually give anything in the way of research.

Erm. That's the whole point. It's a product that contains nicotine and as yet there is no peer reviewed research available. It's why organisations like the BMA are suggesting caution. No evidence as yet conclusive or otherwise that it it's even an effective aid to stop smoking. I think it sensible that it treated with extreme caution until proven otherwise.

• Options
    But I thought nicotin wasn't harmful it was the other stuff in cigarettes that got you?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

But I thought nicotin wasn't harmful it was the other stuff in cigarettes that got you?

Not harmful !!'

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000953.htm
  • Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    For what it's worth SHG, I agree with you. I think it's good that so many of you have found something to help stop the smoking but it hasn't been ticked off as completely safe so should it really be promoted? I bet most of you thought asbestos was safe to use in children's playgrounds 30 years ago? 20 years later people are dying from it. How do we know these gases and toxins from vaping are not going to do the same thing? What is really worrying is all the teenagers getting and smoking ECigs and the schools bs parents not stopping them. I hope I turn out to be wrong and they prove completely safe but right now am not convinced. But good luck to all of you that have quit smoking and well done.
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

Not harmful !!'

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000953.htm
    Yeah it isn't harmful. It is the toxins contained within tobacco that are harmful and what causes cancer, heart disease etc. Nictotine itself isn't a carcinogen.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

I think you've both made your point now.