Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

SKY TV Game Listings (Fulham H now Sun 4th Oct)

Comments

• Options
    don't mind not being televised , we never perform in front of the cameras , so let's be thankful and carry on our good form off screen .
  • Options
    We wont be shown until the last game of the season when were about to lift the trophy.

Unfortunately it'll also be a match where if we lose 19-0 we'll get relegated and yes, because we'll in front of the cameras we'll manage it
  • Options

Two more games announced

21/9/15: Derby v Burnley 7.45pm KO

24/9/15: Forest v Huddersfield 7.45pm KO

I can't wait to see the next instalment in the bitter rivalry between Huddersfield and Nottingham Forest. Only 70 miles and two whole counties separate these great rivals.
  • Options
    boogica said:

don't mind not being televised , we never perform in front of the cameras , so let's be thankful and carry on our good form off screen .

Shut up you tart... It's just coincidence. New e-mail for Sky tomorrow then. :smiley:
  • Options

Two more games announced

Huddersfield are the home team. I think these teams have been picked, as none of them will be in the 3rd round of the Capital one Cup which takes place that week.

• Options
    Dansk_Red said:

Two more games announced

Huddersfield are the home team. I think these teams have been picked, as none of them will be in the 3rd round of the Capital one Cup which takes place that week.

Does that mean that we will not be on Sky until the semi-finals:-)
  • Options
    IA said:

Two more games announced

I can't wait to see the next instalment in the bitter rivalry between Huddersfield and Nottingham Forest. Only 70 miles and two whole counties separate these great rivals.
    To be fair, I think their league position probably has some bearing on things - who could fail to be excited by 11th Vs 20th? (Yes, I know that may not be their league positions come the time, but they've announced these games now...)
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

Two more games announced

So they couldn't wait until Thursday to see if more teams were "available" for those two slots?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sky pick their games based on what brings in the most viewing figures. Leeds and Forest both have a massive fan base so will attract viewers no matter where they are in the table. Let's face it, not many people in the country are going to want to watch Charlton vs Brentford so we get picked less. Simple as that.

If Sky had their way I'm sure they'd love to show Leeds every week.
  • Options
    There should be some broadcasting rules in place.

As an example, I'd like to see each club shown at least once every 20 matches shown and no club should be broadcast more than three times within the same period.
  • Options
    The only rule that they have it that every team is shown at least once throughout the season.

I know that all of the teams being shown are not always at home, so they are not always getting TV money. But some teams will be getting an extra £500k compared to us this season. Very unfair.
  • Options
    I am happy to watch East Stirlingshire verses Alloa Athletic on Alba, if it is a decent game, a decent contest, that is what matters.
    Actually I am bored by the prospect of watching Arsenal v Liverpool for the umpteenth time.
    Anybody remember Danny Baker doing a series on Sunday League football? It included the 'Dick Coppock Cup' as well as the league.
    Loved that series.
  • Options

Sky pick their games based on what brings in the most viewing figures. Leeds and Forest both have a massive fan base so will attract viewers no matter where they are in the table. Let's face it, not many people in the country are going to want to watch Charlton vs Brentford so we get picked less. Simple as that.

Not according to their reply to my e-mails (see earlier in the thread), quite the opposite, they claim (falsely) that they show the most successful teams.

Even if it were there are a few counter arguments, for example, in their solitary season in the Championship Yeovil were on 4 times, we have been on four times in three years and eight months (and counting). No one is going to convince me that Yeovil are a bigger crowd puller than Charlton.

How do they know what kind of figures they can get when we are on so little?

They could show us when we play Leeds, Forest, Derby or any of their other little favourites, if they are so sure that those clubs pull in the punters and we don't. That makes it fairer on us and means they get the viewers they need.

It's a bias against southern teams in general and us in particular.
  • Options
    Sky are showing goals from some of the capital one cup tonight.....but not ours it seems
  • Options
    Nope we get a bloke on the telephone who sounds as though he's standing under a bridge
  • Options

Not according to their reply to my e-mails (see earlier in the thread), quite the opposite, they claim (falsely) that they show the most successful teams.

Even if it were there are a few counter arguments, for example, in their solitary season in the Championship Yeovil were on 4 times, we have been on four times in three years and eight months (and counting). No one is going to convince me that Yeovil are a bigger crowd puller than Charlton.

How do they know what kind of figures they can get when we are on so little?

They could show us when we play Leeds, Forest, Derby or any of their other little favourites, if they are so sure that those clubs pull in the punters and we don't. That makes it fairer on us and means they get the viewers they need.

It's a bias against southern teams in general and us in particular.
    Do you know who Yeovil were playing in those 4 games? I know for a fact that one of them was Leeds. Would be interested to know.
  • Options
    I therefore refer you to my fourth paragraph LA - why not show US when we play Leeds????

I know for a fact another one of them was Brighton, BTW.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

I am happy to watch East Stirlingshire verses Alloa Athletic on Alba, if it is a decent game, a decent contest, that is what matters.
    Actually I am bored by the prospect of watching Arsenal v Liverpool for the umpteenth time.
    Anybody remember Danny Baker doing a series on Sunday League football? It included the 'Dick Coppock Cup' as well as the league.
    Loved that series.

I think my old man had that on DVD! I'll have to find it, it was brilliant.
  • Options

Latest e-mail to Sky, for the two of you who are interested... :smile:

Hello, me again,

I see you have added more games to the schedule – all four teams from north of Watford gap again, Derby and Forest’s 6th appearance, Burnley’s 5th and even Huddersfield get a 3rd appearance, meanwhile, down south MK, Reading, Bristol, Brighton, Brentford and Charlton, four between them.

And obviously still no game whatsoever for the latter two teams, even though Charlton have had a great start to the season, we are still being ignored.

It’s a joke to carry on telling us there’s no bias.

I've sent a mail to my contact, I'll see if we can find someone at the heart of this thing. Viewer Relations can't do much about it!
  • Options
    JiMMy 85.

I hope things are sound with you domestically after your bit of bother.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Thanks Seth. Up and down - I'm doing fine but the other half is struggling at night mostly. She had to stay at parents' to cheer her up. Hopefully a new door will help and they arrested someone last week so that's a start....
  • Options
    JiMMy 85

I know I have presented my views regarding SKY in pretty harsh terms, and you are closer to the heart of it than I am. Are we all being a touch paranoid to interpret SKY's position regarding us as quite deliberately antagonistic?
    The structure of the argument, and the evidence seems absolutely rock solid, if SKY simply work on viewing figures then it is a bit absurd. ITV rely on the advertising/viewing figures ratio to run their business, but SKY are much less dependent on viewing figures/advertising because SKY is fuelled by subscriptions.
    In the context of what I have written surely editorial decisions regarding football come from another place, as in what is an intriguing game, an overview of the whole competition(s), fairness to the spirit of the football/TV contract, responding to the importance of any individual game, or reflecting the more successful teams who have a chance of being in the SKY premiership.
    I have written in to SKY, used the customer relations route, and received no response whatsoever. I conclude that SKY as a business, or perhaps more accurately certain individuals within that business, hold Charlton and some others in contempt.
    What I would like most of all is not to be directed to the abyss of customer relations/cut and paste responses, but to access the individual people, by name and email, who make those decisions. Not to abuse them, certainly not, but to make a case, shame them, call them out as so called decent practitioners, show them up to being corrupt, and humiliate them with humour at their expense.
    I would also like to see a sustained campaign in whatever media exists, or phone ins, or other routes, to expose SKY for their bias and I think possible or potential corruption.
    Who is to say that those who choose which matches are televised are beyond the odd backhander from those clubs chosen who themselves gain some kind of financial benefit?
    I mean it is pathetic of me to turn down the SKY frontliners in Lewisham shopping centre who want to persuade me to subscribe, and I refuse to engage and moan to them about SKY's football coverage. I would really like to get right under the skin of the movers and shakers at SKY.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    First up, you're not / we're not alone. There are plenty of clubs who feel undervalued. Last week I overheard a guy in Sports complain that Palace weren't on TV enough while I was in this thread! Most clubs outside of the top six feel under-appreciated by Sky.

I don't know enough about the process, but I know that when we presented the figures to the decision-makers before, and showed that their assumption that choosing Charlton wouldn't help viewing figures was completely wrong, they paid attention and did something about it.

My belief is that there is no conspiracy, just a misguided belief. I'd prefer say more after I've had a chat with people in the know. Pretty sure I can at least find out who they are...
  • Options
    Thank you Jimmy.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Commercial TV, including Sky, gain revenue from showing adverts.

The higher the viewing figures, the more they can charge for adverts.

A Leeds game, will undoubtedly, nearly always, have more viewers, than a Charlton game.

I can only see this changing, if we are challenging for a play off place & Leeds are mid/lower table, with nothing much to play for.

It's plain as day, why Leeds are shown continually. It also follows, that other clubs, that are bigger than us or have recently been in The Prem, should also attract higher viewing figures.

So yes, Leeds, Notts Forest, Wolves, Derby, Sheff W, Burnley, QPR, Hull, Cardiff, Fulham, Middelsbro, possibly Brighton, should all get better viewing figures.

However, we are as attractive as the other 12, so yes we should have been scheduled for a few games.
  • Options
    Brentford finally have a game on Sky!

QPR on Friday 30th october @ 7:45pm

Still nothing for us....