Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

SKY TV Game Listings (Fulham H now Sun 4th Oct)

Comments

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

First up, you're not / we're not alone. There are plenty of clubs who feel undervalued. Last week I overheard a guy in Sports complain that Palace weren't on TV enough while I was in this thread! Most clubs outside of the top six feel under-appreciated by Sky.

I don't know enough about the process, but I know that when we presented the figures to the decision-makers before, and showed that their assumption that choosing Charlton wouldn't help viewing figures was completely wrong, they paid attention and did something about it.

My belief is that there is no conspiracy, just a misguided belief. I'd prefer say more after I've had a chat with people in the know. Pretty sure I can at least find out who they are...

Palace? Oh please.... (this is not directed to you Jimmy but to the Palace fan) They're in the Prem League which means they're in a totally different world. They clearly don't know how fortunate they're: every single PL game can be watched live on the internet these days so they shouldn't really be moaning. The fans of clubs below the PL are the people that have the right to complain.

And that's why I've been dying to see us get promoted, especially in recent years.
  • Options

Commercial TV, including Sky, gain revenue from showing adverts.

The higher the viewing figures, the more they can charge for adverts.

A Leeds game, will undoubtedly, nearly always, have more viewers, than a Charlton game.

I can only see this changing, if we are challenging for a play off place & Leeds are mid/lower table, with nothing much to play for.

It's plain as day, why Leeds are shown continually. It also follows, that other clubs, that are bigger than us or have recently been in The Prem, should also attract higher viewing figures.

So yes, Leeds, Notts Forest, Wolves, Derby, Sheff W, Burnley, QPR, Hull, Cardiff, Fulham, Middelsbro, possibly Brighton, should all get better viewing figures.

However, we are as attractive as the other 12, so yes we should have been scheduled for a few games.

Worth considering, Sky Media (the advertising arm) make up about 3% of Sky's revenue. There are not too many in the main business who give a f*** about Sky Media. They just whack adverts or sponsorship onto anything and everything and annoy the rest of us. I'm one of the lucky few who (actually, thanks to my bosses) won that row, and I haven't had to deal with them much for 3 years! Not that any of our users have noticed let alone thanked thank me for it!

I would advise not seeing Sky as one big outfit of chancers rubbing their hands with glee. Many people on this side of the fence would agree with you wholeheartedly or have the same concerns. You have to pick (on) the right people.

Speaking of which, I now have a contact. But we have to use it wisely. I think I would prefer to wait for @PragueAddick to decide how and when we use it.
  • Options
    https://corporate.sky.com/documents/investors/results/2015/q1-press-release.pdf

Yes, thanks. I see what you mean.
    Page 5, advertising revenue = £108M, so still a fair chunk.
  • Options
    Happy for Brentford fans... But clearly CAFC don't exist!
  • Options

Sorry, Forgive me if I'm wrong, but £108million is 3% of Sky's annual revenue?!?! So their annual revenue is £3.6 Billion? or is this just a 3 monthly figure?

And here we are squabbling (rightly I might add) over pennies regarding the Olympic stadium.

Genuinely quite stunned
  • Options
    Overall revenue £ 1926M
    Advertising rev £ 108 M

So about 5.6% ?
  • Options
    edited August 2015

A Leeds game, will undoubtedly, nearly always, have more viewers, than a Charlton game.

I can only see this changing, if we are challenging for a play off place & Leeds are mid/lower table, with nothing much to play for.

It's plain as day, why Leeds are shown continually. It also follows, that other clubs, that are bigger than us or have recently been in The Prem, should also attract higher viewing figures.

So yes, Leeds, Notts Forest, Wolves, Derby, Sheff W, Burnley, QPR, Hull, Cardiff, Fulham, Middelsbro, possibly Brighton, should all get better viewing figures.

However, we are as attractive as the other 12, so yes we should have been scheduled for a few games.

Can you explain the Yeovil situation then?

PS - Burnley??? Do me favour.
  • Options

Overall revenue £ 1926M
    Advertising rev £ 108 M

So about 5.6% ?

Makes sense - I've been quoting the 3% thing for a decade now so it probably has changed in that time!!
  • Options
    CAFC Luke said:

Sorry, Forgive me if I'm wrong, but £108million is 3% of Sky's annual revenue?!?! So their annual revenue is £3.6 Billion? or is this just a 3 monthly figure?

And here we are squabbling (rightly I might add) over pennies regarding the Olympic stadium.

Genuinely quite stunned
    You think that's bad - in the great scheme of News Corp/ 21st Century Fox, Sky are one of the small fries.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

CAFC Luke said:

Genuinely quite stunned
    You think that's bad - in the great scheme of News Corp/ 21st Century Fox, Sky are one of the small fries.
    Yeah when I first looked at it I wanted to check if that was a figure just for BskyB or for a wider configuartion in the murdoch empire. As you say, the fact it is a small chip in their basket is seems crazy. I wonder if people who put out a significant amount of their monthly income to fund such companies realise just the extent to which they are filling the pockets more of these top people, and how small an individual purchaser in the whole cog is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's a shame BT sport couldn't Have shown the Palace game on a Thursday evening.

• Options
    edited August 2015

Can you explain the Yeovil situation then?

PS - Burnley??? Do me favour.
    Boro??? Bigger? End of the world - think I've met two over the years and that was when they had Juninho and thought it ok to admit their origins.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Worth considering, Sky Media (the advertising arm) make up about 3% of Sky's revenue. There are not too many in the main business who give a f*** about Sky Media. They just whack adverts or sponsorship onto anything and everything and annoy the rest of us. I'm one of the lucky few who (actually, thanks to my bosses) won that row, and I haven't had to deal with them much for 3 years! Not that any of our users have noticed let alone thanked thank me for it!

I would advise not seeing Sky as one big outfit of chancers rubbing their hands with glee. Many people on this side of the fence would agree with you wholeheartedly or have the same concerns. You have to pick (on) the right people.

Speaking of which, I now have a contact. But we have to use it wisely. I think I would prefer to wait for @PragueAddick to decide how and when we use it.
    Hi Jimmy, wish you both all the best, btw.

We've been discussing this within the Trust team, whether to kick up a stink about it. The thing that makes me uncertain about it, compared to our effort in the FAPL, is whether it brings decent extra revenue to the club if we are shown on TV. I'd like to hear from @Airman Brown on that. Last time i spoke with him about that he wasn't quite sure of the access fees (fee the club gets per game) - maybe you can help with that, Jimmy? - but he has as good a view as anyone what effect being on TV in this league has on the gate (assuming we are the home team).

The thing is that when we did the FAPL sting, there was so much to play for. Each extra game brought in something like 400k to the club even in those days. It is nothing like that here.

There could be an argument that when we are playing so well its important that people see us, a form of advertising, but again I think that's an argument that works far better in the FAPL when many fans with subs will watch whoever is on on Sunday afternoon.

When I saw that list and we were the only ones still not shown, that really pissed me off, but its a bit of work doing what we did before, and I'd really like to think that if we do it, we can show Katrien that it also helped the club get extra dosh. If Airman and others could do some sums to see if the potential is there, then it looks like we could do the same exercise as before, Jimmy can get the ratings. But with the Olympic thing, spare time is tight.
  • Options
    Why isn't Katrien all over Sky protesting this?
    If she isn't i do wonder what her job is.
  • Options

Should have said three and we are showing two.
  • Options
    not sure why Villa v Birmingham has any more merit than us & the Nigels.

apart from the fact that Sky detest Charlton.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

Hi Jimmy, wish you both all the best, btw.

We've been discussing this within the Trust team, whether to kick up a stink about it. The thing that makes me uncertain about it, compared to our effort in the FAPL, is whether it brings decent extra revenue to the club if we are shown on TV. I'd like to hear from @Airman Brown on that. Last time i spoke with him about that he wasn't quite sure of the access fees (fee the club gets per game) - maybe you can help with that, Jimmy? - but he has as good a view as anyone what effect being on TV in this league has on the gate (assuming we are the home team).

The thing is that when we did the FAPL sting, there was so much to play for. Each extra game brought in something like 400k to the club even in those days. It is nothing like that here.

There could be an argument that when we are playing so well its important that people see us, a form of advertising, but again I think that's an argument that works far better in the FAPL when many fans with subs will watch whoever is on on Sunday afternoon.

When I saw that list and we were the only ones still not shown, that really pissed me off, but its a bit of work doing what we did before, and I'd really like to think that if we do it, we can show Katrien that it also helped the club get extra dosh. If Airman and others could do some sums to see if the potential is there, then it looks like we could do the same exercise as before, Jimmy can get the ratings. But with the Olympic thing, spare time is tight.
    Any exposure is better than none isn't it? I bet Leeds bring up how many times they are on tele when they are trying to flog their ground boards etc.
  • Options
    To be honest I'm quite glad that Brentford have been picked for TV now.

Means we can really have a moan at Sky cos we're the one club they're not interested in showing (to be honest reckon they'll show our match against Brighton)
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    So do I FA - because it's the only away game we will get to all season, and we have already booked the train tickets...

Oh, and it will be switched to the Friday night (we fly in on that day) and our plane will be delayed just enough so we can't make it.
  • Options

So do I FA - because it's the only away game we will get to all season, and we have already booked the train tickets...

Oh, and it will be switched to the Friday night (we fly in on that day) and our plane will be delayed just enough so we can't make it.

Yup you've got it in one there
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yup you've got it in one there
    Not that I'm paranoid or anything...
  • Options
    If we were top of the league they would choose our home game against Forest and still open with 'is this the night Forest turn the corner and begin their promotion push' we would be lucky to get mentioned as a 'surprise package'

Huddersfield and 'the record' was a classic example of our sky coverage.
  • Options
    Maybe Michael Grade has pissed Sky off in some way!
  • Options

Means we can really have a moan at Sky cos we're the one club they're not interested in showing (to be honest reckon they'll show our match against Brighton)

It will be like buses wait ages for one then two come along together. Yes i reckon the brighton game will be on also the Ipswich game the week before.

• Options
    edited August 2015

It will be like buses wait ages for one then two come along together. Yes i reckon the brighton game will be on also the Ipswich game the week before.

While I'm in the air on the way to Copenhagen...

*Wibble*
  • Options
    Finally got a reply off sky and just what I expected, load of old bullshit.

Hi
    Thank you for your email. I'm sorry to learn that you are thinking about cancelling your Sky subscription.
    The live matches on Sky have been announced up to the 7th of November.
    Our contract as agreed with the Football League is that each team must be selected at least once at home. I understand your frustration that Charlton Athletic are not featured yet this season, whilst other teams have been chosen several times.
    There are a variety of reasons why some teams have more matches televised than others, including the logistics of being able to play at the time chosen by Sky, and as the season progresses, being in a fixture that is likely to have an influence on the playoff places. We can assure you that Charlton Athletic will feature at least once this coming season, and hopefully more than that, and of course you can follow them in our Football League support programming on Sky Sports, and also online on Sky Sports.com.
    Here is a link to our Live on Sky website.
    http://www.skysports.com/watch/football-on-sky
    Thanks for taking the time to contact Sky.
    Regards
    Annette
    Viewer Relations

I'm now satisfied to have learnt that we will feature atleast once this season. Thank you sky for being so understanding.

Just in case someone, somewhere in a cave hasn't seen Leeds other 6 games so far this season they are live again at 12:05 saturday.
  • Options

Finally got a reply off sky and just what I expected, load of old bullshit.

Hi
    Thank you for your email. I'm sorry to learn that you are thinking about cancelling your Sky subscription.
    The live matches on Sky have been announced up to the 7th of November.
    Our contract as agreed with the Football League is that each team must be selected at least once at home. I understand your frustration that Charlton Athletic are not featured yet this season, whilst other teams have been chosen several times.
    There are a variety of reasons why some teams have more matches televised than others, including the logistics of being able to play at the time chosen by Sky, and as the season progresses, being in a fixture that is likely to have an influence on the playoff places. We can assure you that Charlton Athletic may feature once this coming season, and thats once more than we'd like to, and of course you can follow them in our Football League support programming on Sky Sports, and also online on Sky Sports.com.
    Here is a link to our Live on Sky website.
    http://www.skysports.com/watch/football-on-sky
    Thanks for taking the time to contact Sky.
    Regards
    Annette
    Viewer Relations

I'm now satisfied to have learnt that we will feature atleast once this season. Thank you sky for being so understanding.

Just in case someone, somewhere in a cave hasn't seen Leeds other 6 games so far this season they are live again at 12:05 saturday.

Fixed Annette's email for her
  • Options
    Annette always has to be said in the Benny Hill voice....
  • Options
    So, if Leeds go on and have a good season and have fixtures that will have an influence on the play off places, how many times will they be on?
  • Options
    Easier to count the number of times they won't be on.