Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Traffic chaos in Kent

1626364656668»

Comments

• Options
    Anyone any idea how long the slip road at Falconwood onto the A2 will be shut?, Welling High St and surrounding is an absolute joke at the moment

cant find any info on it anywhere 
  • Options
    Bexley village  Road from Roundabout at North Cray Road to the roundabout by the George pub in the village will be shut from 7pm to 2am for four nights commencing Monday 2nd October.
  • Options
    7pm to 2am?! That's fucking nuts! It will be total carnage for miles around. 
  • Options
    Anyone any idea how long the slip road at Falconwood onto the A2 will be shut?, Welling High St and surrounding is an absolute joke at the moment

Apparently reopens tomorrow. It's completely fucked around Welling because of that. Plus they've put a load of new box junction markings in all over the place. Cnuts!
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Rizzo said:

Apparently reopens tomorrow. It's completely fucked around Welling because of that. Plus they've put a load of new box junction markings in all over the place. Cnuts!
    The council need the money. The same Tory council who took  Khan to court over ULEZ and the unfair tax on the car owner.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:
    7pm to 2am?! That's fucking nuts! It will be total carnage for miles around. 
    Coincides nicely with our evening game on the tuesday. Looks like it will be back to the 20 min wait at the Swanley junction of the M25 due to the roadworks on that roundabout
  • Options
    The M20 is closed tonight from junction 8 to 9 coastbound as there are problems at Eurotunnel

Operation Brock which was meant to be used when there are problems at the ports, cannot be put in place quickly enough so they close the motorway instead, forcing all traffic onto surrounding roads, resulting in chaos. Eurotunnel workers are on strike in France.

This is the 3rd time in 4 months that they have had to close the M20 and it proves that the vast expense that Operation Brock has cost already, doesn't work. 
  • Options
    The M20 is closed tonight from junction 8 to 9 coastbound as there are problems at Eurotunnel

Operation Brock which was meant to be used when there are problems at the ports, cannot be put in place quickly enough so they close the motorway instead, forcing all traffic onto surrounding roads, resulting in chaos. Eurotunnel workers are on strike in France.

This is the 3rd time in 4 months that they have had to close the M20 and it proves that the vast expense that Operation Brock has cost already, doesn't work. 
    French workers would strike regardless of whether we were or not in the EU. Hours of my life have been wasted in traffic jams because of the French.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

French workers would strike regardless of whether we were or not in the EU. Hours of my life have been wasted in traffic jams because of the French.
    Although Brock was put in to mitigate delays at the ports after Brexit, it isn't fit for purpose as it cannot be put in place quickly enough. In the last 4 months we've had the M20 closed because of an escaped prisoner, Storm Ciaran and now the Eurotunnel strike.
  • Options
    South East England is so over populated, there are too many cars and too many lunatics who cant drive but think they can. The French as always do their best to become great neighbours as they always haven't done.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Afraid you are right , The M20 has had restrictions in place for two  years, it has taken this long partly due to the M20 being used as a lorry park, and when it was eventually put in place, there were further delays just after Ashford due to work off the motorway, due to flooding?.... On Monday morning it  eventually opened, then Wednesday night closed for almost 2 hours due to a 2 car pile up @ 5.30ish.I know because I was in it!...... Now tonight this, again using the M20 as a HGV park, hopefully the situation regarding the industrial action will shortly be lifted and not ruin Christmas for people travelling to France, or even to the coast. 

It really is a journey of 'hope' using this road, and I am informed that the extra safe refuges, further up past Maidstone will be started in the near future, not sure when or for how long?. Another short sighted decision by the Highways Agency, they should never have done away with the hard shoulder in the first place, but as usual the expansion of the motorway was done on the cheap, despite several features on TV including "Panorama' claiming that it was dangerous?. I have noticed in recent month, coming down from London that the police stop the traffic, when and until the HGV/car is recovered, why they cannot close the affected lane, and reduce the traffic to 30 mph, would seem to be a more practical solution, especially between 4pm and 7pm, but I guess the traffic is so intense, because I never see normal speed limits put in place when I travel down, thank god only two days a week!. 
  • Options
    Smart Motorways create congestion whenever there is a breakdown or accident, as lanes have to be closed. If there is a hard shoulder, at least the breakdown can usually be moved to the hard shoulder.

There is a lot more pain to come on the M20. I recently had a meeting with National Highways and they informed me that there has been so much underfunding for Kent's Motorways in recent years, that there is a lot of remedial work needed. The section between junctions 8 & 9 has to be resurfaced which they plan to do with lane closures. 

• Options
    Smart Motorways create congestion whenever there is a breakdown or accident, as lanes have to be closed. If there is a hard shoulder, at least the breakdown can usually be moved to the hard shoulder.

There is a lot more pain to come on the M20. I recently had a meeting with National Highways and they informed me that there has been so much underfunding for Kent's Motorways in recent years, that there is a lot of remedial work needed. The section between junctions 8 & 9 has to be resurfaced which they plan to do with lane closures. 

One of the reasons I have not attended a night game at the Valley since the pandemic!.... National Highways are always imposing restrictions and closures early evenings, just not worth the risk, as the only alternative is the A2 M2 via Canterbury for myself. That in itself made me not get a season ticket as well!.
    What with the threat of the  essentially parking ban in Charlton makes it very difficult, especially as I struggle with mobility these days. I was hoping to move back to Bexley earlier this year, but our buyer pulled out, and with the interest rate rises has depressed the market, at least down here in Hythe. Hopefully in the spring we will review our plans and be able to get back to the Bexley area, as my sons could assist me going down there.
    I see this morning that the M20 coast bound is still shut this morning, I thought the whole point of this Operation Brock was  free the local traffic, the result is it does the opposite as it blocks all the local roads down here!.
    So it is off to the Richfield stadium for me on Saturday to watch  my old team Bexley verses Ashford in a cup game! 

• Options
    edited January 31
    Left Dartford at 4, over to Costco in Thurrock and back to Eltham in under an hour. Unheard of. Including buying bits in Costco.
  • Options
    Left Dartford at 4, over to Costco in Thurrock and back to Eltham in under an hour. Unheard of. Including buying bits in Costco.
    Yes, buying bits in Costco is unheard of for me 😄
  • Options
    Where they thurpenny bits?
  • Options
    My experience of France, and the French people I have met, and many I have learned about, a lot of the French scientists, philosophers, artists and other cultural figures have all seemed pretty good and impressive.
    Many from that geographical region have enriched the whole world substantially.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    My experience of France, and the French people I have met, and many I have learned about, a lot of the French scientists, philosophers, artists and other cultural figures have all seemed pretty good and impressive.
    What were their views on the traffic in Kent?
  • Options
    February the 12th MAJOR gas works at the Danson exit of the A2 London bound side.  This will cause absolute chaos, it will screw the roundabout at the exit, which will screw the roundabout at Penhill /Danson underpass. You can also expect massive queues to come off at the Danson junction at peak times.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    They just shrugged their shoulders all Gallic like, but at least seth's all over them!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    I don’t know. I am not sure that people from the geographical region commonly called France would have views about traffic in Kent.