Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket vs Pakistan (in UAE)

Comments

• Chizz said:

Riviera said:

Another Zedfest. I have not seen or listened to one ball of this series and do not intend to. Pointless waste of time.

Don't let that stop you giving your opinion on it though...
    Nothing will ever stop that. I hear reports, I see the scores, I read this thread. So my knowledge of this series is probably in line with most people on here.
  • Nothing to report from the first hour and a half? Or is it raining?
  • Just checked and we've taken a couple of wickets! 334-6. If we can just get through the tail.......
  • All out 378
  • A great mornings work from England but the ball is spinning big time. Yasir Shah will have a big part to play here
  • I fear we will struggle to get more than 175 in the 4th innings. We need to bat well here otherwise, we are one down with one to play.
  • I fear we will struggle to get more than 175 in the 4th innings. We need to bat well here otherwise, we are one down with one to play.

Make that in our 1st innings :-(
  • edited October 2015
    79-2 after 20 overs

Cook 31*
    Root 34*
  • Sponsored links:

• Listening to TMS, I'm sure I heard them say that Cook slog-sweeper over mid-wicket?!?

Can anyone confirm these strange occurances??? :-)
  • 105-2 at tea.
  • Listening to TMS, I'm sure I heard them say that Cook slog-sweeper over mid-wicket?!?

Can anyone confirm these strange occurances??? :-)

Yes, he doesn't fancy batting for 2 days again!
  • Cook out for 65, first wicket for the leggie Shah.

• Riaz ripping through us. Root, Stokes and Buttler all caught behind off him.

216-6

Bairstow 45*
  • Buttler is just not a test player. Great one day player, but that doesn't automatically make him a test match batsman.

Bairstow has to keep with James Taylor coming in.
  • Rashid plays a ridiculous shot second ball off Shah and is out 2nd ball.
  • Buttler is just not a test player. Great one day player, but that doesn't automatically make him a test match batsman.

Totally agree. The only issue for Bairstow is that he will be "rewarded" for batting well by being dropped in the order from 5 to 7.

Totally agree. The only issue for Bairstow is that he will be "rewarded" for batting well by being dropped in the order from 5 to 7.
    Yup, and the other issue is the form of Bell. We really need two players to come in!

Then again, England may as well just play cook, root, a keeper and then 7 bowlers. No one else gets any runs!
  • And Bairstow now goes LBW to Shah

223-8
  • Sponsored links:

• Wood out caught at slip off Shah but not given out immediately as Rieffel isn't sure whether it is a bump ball or not. Umpires ask 3rd Umpire who gives it out. Broad then complains and they review it and it is finally given out.

233-9
  • All out 242

Anderson, as he tends to, fends off a short ball from Khan and it loops in the air to the keeper.

Broad 15*
  • Just woken up to this - oh dear! Too many batsmen failing at the moment, I thought Buttler would come good - still think he will but might need some time away. Taylor for Bell is a bit of a no brainer now.
  • Cook, Root and Bairstow got 199 of the 228 off the bat.

Ali isn't an opener, Bell has long since lost any consistency, Buttler can't buy a run and Stokes blows hot and cold.

If we are going to make changes then we need to make them for the next Test - otherwise the likes of Taylor and Hales will really wonder what it takes to get into the team.

So, this is what I would do for the final Test:

Cook
    Hales
    Root
    Taylor
    Stokes
    Bairstow
    Ali
    Rashid
    Wood
    Broad
    Anderson
  • Right, I'm signing off now. Got a bit of horse racing studying to do before I physically (and mentally!!) prepare myself for The Sofa this afternoon with Seb (who has a lot to answer for in this regard) and the Mrs!
  • Cook, Root and Bairstow got 199 of the 228 off the bat.

Ali isn't an opener, Bell has long since lost any consistency, Buttler can't buy a run and Stokes blows hot and cold.

If we are going to make changes then we need to make them for the next Test - otherwise the likes of Taylor and Hales will really wonder what it takes to get into the team.

So, this is what I would do for the final Test:

Cook
    Hales
    Root
    Taylor
    Stokes
    Bairstow
    Ali
    Rashid
    Wood
    Broad
    Anderson

Completely agree with that team
  • edited October 2015
    Same here, apart from.the fact I'm not convinced by Hales.

Can't see another opening option from the squad though.

Oh, and I'd leave Bairstow and 5, Stokes at 6.
  • England spinners now bowling complete filth, even Phil Tufnell on TMS is getting annoyed!
  • I find it quite amazing how Pakistan's pair at the crease right now Younus Khan (37 years old) and Misbah-ul-Haq (41 years old) are potentially taking both the test match and the series away from us right now with there partnership. That's a combined age of 78 years at the crease an average of 39 years each.

Then you look at the Sri Lanka and India teams of recent also with many players batting on until there late 30's / early 40's.

It does make me wonder why we have a culture within the English team that once a player gets to about 33/34 years old they're too old to go on but other nations see there top players go on for longer.

Cook is 30 years old, are we likely to see him for another 7-11 years? Probably not. In fact in 11 years time we'd have probably seen the back of him and probably his replacement at the top of the order too whoever that may be.

At 38 years old Andrew Strauss wouldn't look out of place in this match!
  • Two dropped catches from Buttler.

I rate him but he needs to take a break from internationals to try to get some form.