Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Luzon hints some first team regulars could be rested at Palace

Comments

• Options
    I'll still be there to sing my heart out for our boys though.
  • Options

wonder how close Cebellos, Reza and Moussa are to returning?

Not very.
  • Options
    We should play our strongest available team for sure. A great opportunity to build a bit of "slightly lost" confidence against the nigels. I definitly think JJ should play, and maybe get a little more playing time in the team. Sure he is getting on, hasn't got the legs, blah, blah, but I still think he has a lot to offer us, he knows how much this fixture means to us and I still think he is our best captain on the park. If we lose (like everyone thinks we will) so what? we are never going to win the bloody thing anyway, we just have to play our way back into a bit of form and I think Jacko could be just the right catalyst to get us going again. Saying all that I hope we give the nigels a spanking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

COYR............
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    colin1961 said:

I doubt he will actually rest any players he is not forced to due to injury, Luzon may not be a fan favourite again suddenly but he understands us fans, he understands deep down that the last three league results will be forgotten by the majority of Charlton fans if our team puts in a heroic performance and leaves the most run down branch of Sainsburys in the country with a place in the 4th round of the League Cup.

Why he not a fan fav ? Done a great job since taking over , perhaps people really wanted Paul Jewell and Dave Jones then
    Calm down, i am still a fan of his but a month ago he was a complete hero, now a large number of posts after the last few games seem to be suggesting he is possibly out of his depth or that someone new will soon be taking his job.

I personally think that is an over reaction but then i have not had the displeasure of watching the last three league games.

My point is Luzon seems like a coach who understands the fans mindset, he will know that a win Wednesday night will give most fans a major boost to relieve the pressure off him & his team.

So i would be stunned & let down if he really did play a team of kids.
  • Options
    I hate to be the one to break this news but other than Diara and JJ over 30
    Bergdych and moussa plus henderson at 26.
    The rest of them are Kids !
  • Options

Huge case of 'MAN UP' needs to be dished out on here...

And in the dressing room
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Huge case of 'MAN UP' needs to be dished out on here...

And in the dressing room
    I think we all need to MAN UP. I'm sure the players will respond in a positive manner come Wednesday. Now it's up to us to do our bit.

Absolutely buzzing for it.

COYR
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2015
    colin1961 said:

Been saying this for days if people think we are going to send a first team to Palace then think again ... The team leave for Cardiff Friday lunchtime which leaves 24 hours to deal with any Knocks
    Pope
    Charles Cook
    Sarr
    Lennon
    Bergdick

Cousins
    Jackson
    Ba
    Kennady

Grant
    Vetokele

When did we sign the 2 new players - Kennady and Bergdick? You kept that one quiet.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Our last 3 games have been against teams that had a collective record at time of playing us:

P W D L
    18 0 8 11

Instead of resting players he should be dropping players and letting us know they were dropped.

Yes, it's not as if our first team has actually played well this last week, 3 poor performances with largely the same players each time.
  • Options
    I'm going and looking forward to it. But I would prefer to lose and take 3 points against Cardiff - if I had a choice (which I obviously don't). Would always love to see us beat Palace or Millwall - but the league is more important IMO.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    cafc-west said:

I'm going and looking forward to it. But I would prefer to lose and take 3 points against Cardiff - if I had a choice (which I obviously don't). Would always love to see us beat Palace or Millwall - but the league is more important IMO.

The league is more important overall and if the points are to decide going up and down then yes. There is a slim chance 3 points will decide our fate in my opinion so give me a win over the stripey mugs anytime over a win over cardiff that will last in the memory as long as milk in the fridge.

Didn't we win there last year?

Could of but I can't remember.
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

I want Luzon to play what he believes is his strongest team. If that involves dropping (rather than resting) some players after recent performances then so be it. But if he is not playing what is in his opinion our strongest team to give us the best chance of winning then i think it's a disgrace.

When Manchester Inited were going for the treble in 99 they didn't rest players in the Cups cos the league was the bread and butter - they wanted to win every game they played, cos as much as i hated him, they had a winner in charge.

I really don't understand our fans who don't care or would rather 3 points in the league. There is no certainty that resting players will result in better league results - football doesn't work like that. Confidence is born out of the habit of winning games and playing well in games, no matter what the particular game.

And ultimately football is 80% boring and un-emarkable with the odd high and low every now and then.

Beating your local rivals in a cup game would provide a high that would be lived off for years.

"Do you remember that year we rested players against palace and lost heavily, but which (may have) resulted in getting us those extra two points the following week which (may have) resulted in us finishing 15th rather than 16th" is not a comment you'd hear in years to come.

You enter competitions to do as well in them as you can and you yearn for days when you get a chance to beat your local rivals.

And much much stranger things have happened many times before.

PS i hope those who don't care/would prefer 3 points have let someone who does care have their ticket.

Did Man Utd win the league cup ?
    So what if we beat Palace and lose to Cardiff is that accepted because key players did not have time to recover , what happens if it goes to extra time and pens ........
    I would not take beating Palace over three points against Cardiff
    No they did not win the League Cup in 98/99 but got to the Quaters and went out to a strong Spurs side
  • Options

cafc-west said:

The league is more important overall and if the points are to decide going up and down then yes. There is a slim chance 3 points will decide our fate in my opinion so give me a win over the stripey mugs anytime over a win over cardiff that will last in the memory as long as milk in the fridge.

Didn't we win there last year?

Could of but I can't remember.
    Yes, I recall Simon Church winning us a penalty, perhaps we can play him on Wednesday
  • Options
    We will know the difference between a strong team and a weak team. The latter and I don't think it will be forgotten or forgiven. A decent performance will improve our chances of getting something from our trip to Cardiff - a gutless defeat with fans angry will make it less likely. Now if Luzon is playing mind games with Palace, fine. But if he is serious - well you have to question his judgement big time!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Fair enough. Personally would swap a win for 3 points all day long.

If I thought we had a shot at promotion I'd be with you on that. But we are a midtable side going through the usual mix of hope and despair, not quite realising our place is outside the coveted spots. So beating Palace in the cup would be a highlight of the season
    At the moment im worried about whats below us, not above!
  • Options
    From what I've seen in last few games Watt doesn't deserve to be in the team and that's coming from somebody that thought he might be the next Killer when he first started! So disappointed.
  • Options

From what I've seen in last few games Watt doesn't deserve to be in the team and that's coming from somebody that thought he might be the next Killer when he first started! So disappointed.

Takes on one too many players and plays a bit too deep.
  • Options

He took on one too many players last season as well as against QPR and Hull.
    The difference was he still had the ball at his feet or the ball was in the goal.

Agree with your second point that he came too deep to get the ball but at least it shows that he not lazy, but if Tony loses his confidence we are doomed.

He has had a couple of shockers but he needs lifting now not castigating.

• Options

He took on one too many players last season as well as against QPR and Hull.
    The difference was he still had the ball at his feet or the ball was in the goal.

Agree with your second point that he came too deep to get the ball but at least it shows that he not lazy, but if Tony loses his confidence we are doomed.

He has had a couple of shockers but he needs lifting now not castigating.

I was not criticising, just an observation.

What I will say is that I doubt whether between Watt, Vetokele and Makienok(who I think will be a big asset as a target man) they will score 25 goals.
  • Options
    What's more important performance or result? It's a stupid question really (I'll ask anyway)