Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Palace v Charlton - post match views

Comments

• Options
    Gutted to lose? Yes, I'm already getting stick.

Surprised? Not in the slightest.

But, if I were in Luzons shoes, I would have named a similar team. We have a stack of injuries hampering us as it is, if he'd played Bauer/JBG/Kashi and they'd picked up injury or two we'd be in even more trouble and we can't afford ANOTHER bad run in the league, ANOTHER new manager half way through a season, ANOTHER load of changes to background and playing staff.
  • Options
    Fox and Pope did well, the rest average at best. Thought palace were easily the better side and we are lucky to get away with 4-1, it could have been much, much worse. Midfield overrun and we had little to no control of the game until a 5 mins spell after we scored. Very disappointed.
  • Options
    Sorry is Jackson injured? If not, he ain't ever getting another game for us
  • Options
    All I wanted was for us to not get embarrassed and that was just painful at the end.

Bergdich is absolutely shite.
  • Options
    It was 90 minutes of football against a team that were going to have more of the ball, much less of a risk injury wise than a tough Champ game. Luzon took the easy way out and essentially bottled it. Should be apologising to the fans, p.s. Bergdich is poo. Morgan Fox had to do a lot more work than he should have. Not one good thing came from that game. Shiite
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I don't understand why RD would keep such a sparse and (outside of the first 11) an average squad, if he wants to make money/get a return on his investment, why not push the squad forward and push for promotion? I'm clueless here at the moment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A disappointing but predictable outcome and most definitely not one for the memoirs. Selhurst Park really is a deeply unattractive venue, not helped by the shallow rake of the Arthur Waite Stand and the ridiculous structure and little balconies at the Sainsbury's End.

From the very start, we couldn't get hold of the ball in midfield and nothing was sticking up front. Palace were, however, profligate in the first half (especially Zaha missing a free header after 3 or 4 minutes) and we managed to get to half time intact.

Unfortunately, Palace came out all guns blazing, upped the tempo and we quickly found ourselves 2-0 down. Sarr's header gave us hope that we could make a game of it but it was lights out once we conceded the second penalty following a speculative punt upfield and lost Diarra to a red card. Once again, poor defending has let us down, recognising that it's not always easy when your opponents have complete control of midfield.

A few of our players emerged with some credit in very difficult circumstances, notably, Pope, Solly, Fox and Ahearne-Grant, whose pace and trickery troubled Palace on a number of occasions in the second half. Young Kennedy also did ok. I'm afraid that McAleny looked powder puff and out of his depth, whilst Bergdych and Ba were very poor.

There was a bit of nonsense between supporters afterwards but we managed to get to the station and away from South Norwood and the pervasive smell of horse shit fairly swiftly. I think we just have to try and forget about this game as soon as we can.

Ironically, we bumped into Hangeland at Clapham Junction as he hopped onto our train - the bloke's an absolute giant and looks even bigger than when he's on the pitch. A pretty easy night for him and his fellow defenders.
  • Options
    If the manager doesn't care why should we?

4-1 in your cup final they mocked. And yes, it was our cup final for this season. And we went into it with a half arsed team that was not fit for purpose.
  • Options
    I cant believe some of the comments on here - If I hadn't have been there I would have thought we took a battering. Far from the truth.........

Yes, we were out played, but for 50 mins they hardly tested Pope and they were awarded 2 soft pens (just seen them on C5) and also played against 10 men for the final 20 mins. (straight red for Diarra - do me a favour) which the final nail in the coffin. It would be nice to be given the rub of the green sometimes - we should have had a pen in the 2nd half & had we then we might have given them a game.

Positives for me - KAG looked lively in the 2nd half & gave them problems when out wide left & cutting in......maybe he is our left sided answer. T WWW looked up for it when he came on & could have scored if it wasn't foe another dodgy ref decision.

I personally couldn't give a toss about the cup & agree with GL - the league is more important. 3 points Saturday & all is forgiven...........

PS - glad I took my 12 yr old son - not because he finally had to suffer the journey over there for the first time, or that he agrees its a s**thole, or that he feels their ground is on par with QPR & Fulham.........but he was a good excuse to get past the police cordon after the game by saying that he had to get home & get to bed as he had to be up early for school in the morning.
  • Options
    I didn't know Diarra was sent off until I got home, in my drunken state I thought Bergdich was ok
  • Options

But, if I were in Luzons shoes, I would have named a similar team. We have a stack of injuries hampering us as it is, if he'd played Bauer/JBG/Kashi and they'd picked up injury or two we'd be in even more trouble and we can't afford ANOTHER bad run in the league, ANOTHER new manager half way through a season, ANOTHER load of changes to background and playing staff.

The problem is that may happen quite regardless of tonight.
  • Options

Is Luzon really at risk though? I thought that Roland liked him due to being a bit of a yes-man and the only reason he was "sacked" from Standard Liege was because the fans forced him out? Would anyone be really shocked if we found out the Luzon was told by Roland to rest players for tonight to focus on the league? "Yes boss"....

• Options
    If a winless streak continues, Guy will be gone by Christmas, and another Guy parachuted in, I know football is a results business. But I just want some long term stability at our club. Rather than constant chopping and changing.
  • Options
    Guy's position shouldn't even be under discussion. He's a good manager and he'll sort us out.
  • Options

tricky said:

Disappointed that we didn't show any sort of intent tonight. No matter the line up, there was no tempo, nobody in their faces, and nobody looking to get forward. We only looked half dangerous once they'd gone 2-0 up after the first soft-looking penalty. Then that nice Mr Swarbrick gave them another one and that was game over. In the end Pope did well to keep it to 4.

I'm going to be kind and say that Bergdich is taking some time to get used to the English game*. We're really struggling to find a decent left hand side. Fox is still learning and lacks a yard of pace - he can't hold down a whole side by himself.

Solly was our best player tonight, and Kennedy looks like he might be decent but will struggle in a side lacking much presence elsewhere. Ditto McAleny, and to an extent, KAG too.

Ba does one good thing followed by three bad, and then seems to disappear again. Cousins is Cousins but hasn't quite got the technique to control and dominate a game by himself.

All in all, a disappointing, if not unexpected, evening. Let's hope all those fresh, rested players turn it on on Saturday.

*That's code for weak, slow of thought, slow of foot and no awareness of what is going on around him, as well as seemingly lacking the basics, by the way.

Yeah, wasn't there tonight but having watched the Hull game on TV and been at the Hudds and Blackburn game I really think we've signed a proper dud in Bergdich. I try to reserve judgement on players for a bit longer than that but I really can't help thinking there isn't much there with Bergdich. Fox needs help out there in the form of a decent left footed left sided player which we don't have right now.

Calling Harriott back looks increasingly tempting but I wouldn't be confident he'd make much difference.

I think the problem is that Bergdich is a left back, not a left midfielder. If he does ever play at left back, we can then judge him more accurately.
    Did you see his booking. The only time he was in a LB position, their player literally walked past him without the slightest difficulty meaning he had to tug him back. He is no LB.
  • Options

Well that was shit...

This. Spoiled a day in the sauce.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Crap and embarrassing. If igor wants to go to Bolton let him, and the rest can follow. Awful. Where was Jacko after his pep talk?

Jacko injured but not serious
  • Options
    Can we play Naby Sarr up front?
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with the attitude or desire of the players. Just out classed by a Premier League side who will be in a respectable position who have that class to up the quality levels that we can only dream of having.
  • Options
    We deserved to win that.
  • Options
    Lucky for us, our Roland doesn't do failure (cough, cough) and Luzon is our Alex Ferguson (splutter).

Check transfermrkt.com and take comfort.

Keep the faith, ye fellow wretched of the earth.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Is Luzon really at risk though? I thought that Roland liked him due to being a bit of a yes-man and the only reason he was "sacked" from Standard Liege was because the fans forced him out? Would anyone be really shocked if we found out the Luzon was told by Roland to rest players for tonight to focus on the league? "Yes boss"....

Not yet, I would agree, and personally I think sacking him would be ridiculous, but if you look at RD's record across various clubs it's clear he isn't someone who stands by an incumbent.
  • Options
    Snowed under at work, arrived home late, switched on TV to watch highlights, fell asleep just woken up to realise highlights long gone!

4-1 sounds bad, even against a mid table premier league side, but no time to read through everything so two questions please.

1) I see that Diarra was sent off. Does he miss one game or three as arguably our most influential player so far this season?

2) Was the performance as spineless as Wycombe at home?

Will check again later this morning.

'Night all sleep well if not too annoyed!

• Options
    edited September 2015
    I wouldn't call the performance spineless as such, especially when you consider how young and inexperienced the side was that we put out. I've no criticism of the players and the effort they put in.

It was the management's lack of courage to go for it with the lineup which was spineless and needs to shoulder 100% of the blame for us rolling over.