Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Another Shooting In America?

Comments

• TelMc32 said:
    How old do you have to be to legally own/buy firearms in the USA? (Not sure if it differs state by state)
    It’s 18 in Philadelphia for a long gun, including a semiautomatic. 21 for a hand gun.  So the shooter can buy an AR57 with no training and a $20 licence, but can’t buy a beer
    That’s mad
  • edited July 14
    How old do you have to be to legally own/buy firearms in the USA? (Not sure if it differs state by state)
    Federal law
    You have to be 21 to buy a handgun from a licensed firearms dealer; 18 to buy a long gun, including assault weapons.  But you only have to be 18 to own a handgun (ie you can buy a handgun, if you're over 18, from an unlicensed dealer) and there's no minimum age for long guns bought from unlicensed dealers. 

However, some States set the minimum age for handguns to 21 and long guns to 18.  

There are 253.8m Americans over the age of 18.  Americans own 433.9m guns. 
  • (Therefore, in some States, someone could be old enough to drive to a bar, be disallowed from buying a beer, but allowed to buy an assault weapon from the bar owner). 
  • Be interesting to see what our papers lead with tomorrow. All of them today are about the football.
    The football trumps an assassination attempt.

England win and Trump is on Page 10. Pictures of a crown on Southgate's head in the honours fixated press.
    England lose and Trump is omnipresent with England back in the sport pages and Southgate criticised for giving Ollie Watkins 60 second and Gareth is portrayed as Worzel Gummidge.
  • edited July 14
    America gets what they deserve. 

Leaders get shot and take money from gun lobbies to welcome more. 

Some photographers became very rich people last night. 
  • Chizz said:
    swordfish said:
    Chizz said:
    Just a quick reminder that this is very definitely a thread about the abhorrent and unstoppable rise in shootings, an opportunity to offer condolences or otherwise appropriately honour to those affected and to consider what sanative legislature or influences could be brought about to fix the situation.  It shouldn't be derailed by discussions about who should or shouldn't win the next US Presidential Election.  I mean, who knows what nutters might turn up if it headed off in that direction..?
    So why did you post the Van Gough/Trump portrait?
    Because I thought some people would find it funny and because it wasn't anything to do with the upcoming election, whatsoever. 
    But if he wasn’t a politician you’d get vilified for mocking the victims of another shooting in America 
    He was injured by a gunshot wound. I regret that it happened.  It's an awful thing to happen to a great man.  He walked away, which is a very good thing.  He got treatment, which is also a very good thing.  But, sadly, he died of his wounds some time later.

I am not mocking him, I am a fan. In fact, I believe him to be one of the world's greatest ever artists.  
  • clb74 said:
    I tell you what I think is sick.
    Bbc reporter saying he is looking at a video to see if he can identify the 1st victim

WTF do you think a reporter job is ? To find out information on a massive global story.
    The main BBC reporter covering this story is the blind Gary O'Donoghue who is based in Washington DC.

An excellent English Journalist who is to be admired.

Sick world we live in.
    Let's see if I can identify the person.
  • clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    Bbc reporter saying he is looking at a video to see if he can identify the 1st victim

WTF do you think a reporter job is ? To find out information on a massive global story.
    The main BBC reporter covering this story is the blind Gary O'Donoghue who is based in Washington DC.

Sick world we live in.
    Shouldn't a journalist find out facts and report them? 
  • Chizz said:
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:

Sick world we live in.
    Shouldn't a journalist find out facts and report them? 

You certainly won’t find a journalist who would disagree with that. Otherwise what’s the point.
  • If you come for the king you better not miss
  • Sponsored links:

• Ah cool. We'd better all do fascism 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Be interesting to see what our papers lead with tomorrow. All of them today are about the football.
    Massive news story. Will be front page of course unless they had already gone to press. 
    Can’t see Trump losing the election now. He would probably have heard the security services guys saying ‘shooter down’, so did the fist pumping, knowing it’s a ‘defining image’. Smart. 
    Stupid more like it!...🤦‍♂️
    Don’t really agree. As someone else said, adrenaline, but he’s a smart cookie. I know from experience you think very clearly in that sort of situation, as if everything is happening in slow motion. Adrenaline and endorphins kick in. 
    And I’ve heard others on the radio saying his instincts served him well in that situation @O-Randy-Hunt
    Can’t see Biden, or whoever replaces him if he pulls out, will stand a chance now. Reagan’s approval ratings improved enormously after he was shot.
  • Huskaris said:
    The ‘shooter’ was 20 years old, how does your mind become so twisted at 20 to do something like this?
    Social media. 
    We don’t know more than the fact that he was a registered republican at the moment do we? 
    His motivation might become more clear after people talk to his friends and family. 
  • swordfish said:
    Chizz said:
    Just a quick reminder that this is very definitely a thread about the abhorrent and unstoppable rise in shootings, an opportunity to offer condolences or otherwise appropriately honour to those affected and to consider what sanative legislature or influences could be brought about to fix the situation.  It shouldn't be derailed by discussions about who should or shouldn't win the next US Presidential Election.  I mean, who knows what nutters might turn up if it headed off in that direction..?
    Unfortunately has a history of cracking unfunny jokes when there are people dying and have died.
    It’s all over social media. Not pleasant. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    swordfish said:
    Chizz said:
    Unfortunately has a history of cracking unfunny jokes when there are people dying and have died.
    I don't use social media, but there is no need to drag it on here. Isn't the first time.
  • edited July 14
    JamesSeed said:
    Be interesting to see what our papers lead with tomorrow. All of them today are about the football.
    Massive news story. Will be front page of course unless they had already gone to press. 
    Can’t see Trump losing the election now. He would probably have heard the security services guys saying ‘shooter down’, so did the fist pumping, knowing it’s a ‘defining image’. Smart. 
    Where did you read / hear that?
    I was guessing, but now I’ve just heard it on LBC. 
    You can clearly hear security agents shouting ‘are we good?’ , then ‘shooter’s down’, then ‘shooter’s down, are we good to move?’, then ‘we’re clear’, and ‘let’s move’. 
    Trump would have heard all this.
    So sorry doubters, I reckon I was pretty spot on. 
    It’s at 12:05:30 on the Global Player if you want to have a listen. 
  • Be interesting to see what our papers lead with tomorrow. All of them today are about the football.
    The football trumps an assassination attempt.

England win and Trump is on Page 10. Pictures of a crown on Southgate's head in the honours fixated press.
    England lose and Trump is omnipresent with England back in the sport pages and Southgate criticised for giving Ollie Watkins 60 second and Gareth is portrayed as Worzel Gummidge.
    my post was meant to get lols, wasn’t a serious comment.
  • JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Don’t really agree. As someone else said, adrenaline, but he’s a smart cookie. I know from experience you think very clearly in that sort of situation, as if everything is happening in slow motion. Adrenaline and endorphins kick in. 
    And I’ve heard others on the radio saying his instincts served him well in that situation @O-Randy-Hunt
    Can’t see Biden, or whoever replaces him if he pulls out, will stand a chance now. Reagan’s approval ratings improved enormously after he was shot.
    So you have been shot? That must really shake you up.
  • Sponsored links:

• I see the conspiracy wankers are out early on this one.
  • edited July 14
    R0TW said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    So you have been shot? That must really shake you up.
    Of course.  It was a mortar bomb, not a bullet. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    swordfish said:
    Chizz said:
    I don't use social media, but there is no need to drag it on here. Isn't the first time.
    Not for me to judge what others find funny. It was how that portrait post fitted what the thread was for, as summarized by the poster himself on the post I was responding to, that baffled me. His subsequent explanation leaves me with no further questions. It didn't.
  • Shooter identified as a 20 year old white guy, registered republican, wearing a Demolition Ranch T-Shirt, a gun enthusiast group who’s tagline on Facebook is “Making you smile with Guns”

It’s almost as if we have a gun problem 

This might just change the narrative slightly 
  • Stig said:
    Is that Trump photo for real? It just looks too good to be true. It's got every element that the All American Patriot would want. It's just so reminiscent of Rosenthal's Iwo Jima shot. 

• swordfish said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Where did you read / hear that?
    I was guessing, but now I’ve just heard it on LBC. 
    You can clearly hear security agents shouting ‘are we good?’ , then ‘shooter’s down’, then ‘shooter’s down, are we good to move?’, then ‘we’re clear’, and ‘let’s move’. 
    Trump would have heard all this.
    So sorry doubters, I reckon I was pretty spot on. 
    It’s at 12:05:30 on the Global Player if you want to have a listen. 
    I don't doubt what was said. Never did. I just think the reactions of Trump and those around him are genuine, his defiance instinctive rather than put on for effect, but we're not going to agree anyway and neither of us will be proved right or wrong.
    Don’t get me wrong, I’m not dissing Trump. And yes, it’s instinctive. But don’t underestimate his ability to think on his feet. 
  • This attempt will have a massive effect on the election. When Reagan was shot his rating went up dramatically. This will do similar for Donald. Awful thing to happen and despite what we think about Trump I’m glad he wasn’t seriously injured or worse. 
  • edited July 14
    sam3110 said:
    The fist pump was his version of an F1 driver giving the thumbs up after a nasty crash, it was timed to perfection with the flag behind him, but definitely wasn't methodically planned out, especially when seconds before the guy had just been shot at. 

First assassination attempt on a President in a very long time, I'm actually surprised there hasn't been more given the amount of guns in Murica, combined with the amount of absolute loonies they have too 
    It wasn't, it was just the first one that got close/security failed on for a while.

It's not even the first on Trump:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_presidential_assassination_attempts_and_plots

And that's just sitting Presidents, not former Presidents or candidates.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!