Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton target Hasselbaink swoop

Comments

• Options
    Maybe with the money he stole off us when supposedly playing for us, he could use his own bank account to pay the wages of a loanee (as Phil Parkinson supposedly did).
  • Options
    A bit torn at the idea. I basically think of him as a figurehead for our downturn in fortunes. May be a little harsh, but he sums up the bad decisions and wasted money that year. It still staggers me we were ever willing to pay anyone $60,000 a week. Mind you, at the moment, the idea of having a manager that I have actually heard of (and seems to be doing okay) is quite comforting.
  • Options
    It won't happen but I'd be happy if it did. Whatever his faults as a player at the tailend of his career, he's done well as a manager, knows our setup and can probably communicate with our bonkers owner.
  • Options
    Would be a good appointment hope it happens.
  • Options
    Agree that JFH was a poor player with us at the end of his career but that in no way means that he would be a poor coach/manager after all Lennie Lawrence wasn't even a footballer at the higher levels and he was a good manager
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Is he of a standard higher than the bottom half of Belgium's third division?

Yes?

Then he is better than what we have got.

if they genuinely wanted the Interim Grand Master then they could have just gone and got Michael Appleton.
  • Options
    Right now I'd bite anyone's arms off to have him in, and I really didn't like paying tenure with us. But needs must! He's doing great things at Burton, and has experience of the championship.

My only concern is that the Grand Master will only (if at all) try and recruit him as a Head coach, so that they can continue with this pupet master mentality. We desperately need a Manager, and not a Head Coach to get us out of this mess.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Simon E said:

Right now I'd bite anyone's arms off to have him in, and I really didn't like paying tenure with us. But needs must! He's doing great things at Burton, and has experience of the championship.

My only concern is that the Grand Master will only (if at all) try and recruit him as a Head coach, so that they can continue with this pupet master mentality. We desperately need a Manager, and not a Head Coach to get us out of this mess.

It just does not fit RD's model to have a manager, I am afraid. We should just forget about that possibility.

RD has a plan which involves a skeleton first team squad and youth team players. We are now in a catch 22 position because of this. Any proper Manager would not accept those terms of work and any Coach cannot succeed with it.

We are truly screwed.
  • Options
    Some journo putting 2 + 2 = 5

Not a chance.
  • Options
    In May 2013, Hasselbaink was announced as the new manager of Royal Antwerp.

He stated that the club was "a two or three year project".

In November 2014, Hasselbaink was appointed manager at League Two side Burton Albion.

Enough said.
  • Options
    Southbank said:

Simon E said:

It just does not fit RD's model to have a manager, I am afraid. We should just forget about that possibility.

RD has a plan which involves a skeleton first team squad and youth team players. We are now in a catch 22 position because of this. Any proper Manager would not accept those terms of work and any Coach cannot succeed with it.

We are truly screwed.
    That was pretty much my point
  • Options
    Had it from someone who works at Charlton that our last manager was
    one of the lowest paid in the football league, only puppets apply.
  • Options
    Hasselbaink not interested in us and KF promised the job permanently if he does well, just like GL was, until it goes wrong
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Hasselbaink not interested in us and KF promised the job permanently if he does well, just like GL was, until it goes wrong

Any evidence of this?
    Welly said:

Had it from someone who works at Charlton that our last manager was
    one of the lowest paid in the football league, only puppets apply.

or this?
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    No way we could afford him, just think of the the new extra large sofa that would be required to get his arse on it.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Burton Albion manager Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink isn’t expected to be becoming the next Charlton Athletic manager according to Burton Mail. There has been no approach for the Dutchman, who was also linked with the Rotherham United job earlier this season.

Evening Standard:
    Karel Fraeye will be given the Charlton job permanently if results improve at The Valley.
    Fraeye was appointed on an interim basis after Guy Luzon was sacked on Saturday and would be strong favourite to stay on should Charlton start climbing the Championship.
    It is also understood Charlton are looking to appoint a British first-team coach to form part of their backroom staff.
    Fraeye will be assisted by Wim De Corte but Charlton want a new first team coach to replace Damian Matthew, who left when Luzon was sacked. They want that position to be filled by a British coach and the new man would stay on whoever the next permanent boss is.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Burton Albion manager Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink isn’t expected to be becoming the next Charlton Athletic manager according to Burton Mail. There has been no approach for the Dutchman, who was also linked with the Rotherham United job earlier this season.

Evening Standard:

Karel Fraeye will be given the Charlton job permanently if results improve at The Valley.
    Fraeye was appointed on an interim basis after Guy Luzon was sacked on Saturday and would be strong favourite to stay on should Charlton start climbing the Championship.
    It is also understood Charlton are looking to appoint a British first-team coach to form part of their backroom staff.
    Fraeye will be assisted by Wim De Corte but Charlton want a new first team coach to replace Damian Matthew, who left when Luzon was sacked. They want that position to be filled by a British coach and the new man would stay on whoever the next permanent boss is.

...who is likely to be more experienced and qualified than the actual 'head coach' Karel Fraeye or the next Belgian through the building.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

No way we could afford him, just think of the the new extra large sofa that would be required to get his ass on it.

The same reason we didn't go for Steve Evans

• Options
    edited October 2015
    I would be happy with that. His unsuccessful time as a player with us was a long time ago and he should not be judged on that.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

In May 2013, Hasselbaink was announced as the new manager of Royal Antwerp.

He stated that the club was "a two or three year project".

In November 2014, Hasselbaink was appointed manager at League Two side Burton Albion.

Enough said.

But as @skywalker was telling us few days ago, Antwerp was a basket case then too, and had been for 20 years. On the up now, though with a new owner, so looks like JFH was unlucky with his timing.

Is that correct, skywalker?
  • Options
    LouisMend said:

what's John Barnes doing with his time now?

Did his rap career ever take off?
    Well he's been at number 1 in the charts so I guess so!
  • Options
    Malky Mackay could do a job, he worked with a shit regime at Cardiff. he had a bad time at Wigan but then again who hasn't recently? Established manager and not working, apparantly seen at the Valley on Saturday.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Evening Standard:

Shame that the improvement in results which will get him the job will probably be getting one draw at home.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Evening Standard:

Chizz said:

Malky Mackay could do a job, he worked with a shit regime at Cardiff. he had a bad time at Wigan but then again who hasn't recently? Established manager and not working, apparantly seen at the Valley on Saturday.

I have a rule I stick to, whereby I never make personal comments about managers. And I am not going to break my rule for that obnoxious little shit.
    Malky Mackay still fits the bill here then?
  • Options
    E=mc2 said:

ross1 said:

Evening Standard:

Chizz said:

I have a rule I stick to, whereby I never make personal comments about managers. And I am not going to break my rule for that obnoxious little shit.
    Malky Mackay still fits the bill here then?
    Not quite sure what you mean. Is he British? Yes. Is he a coach? Yes. Is he an obnoxious little shit? Well I think we all know the answer to that.