Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fans / Club meeting tonight

Comments

• Options
    rikofold said:

Saw this on Facebook earlier.

Not all of us think it's the brightest move to get Roland out. Using his money more wisely than he is would be better.
    Sadly, that reads like "He can stay and keep pumping his money only if I'm (we are) allowed to dictate what it's spent on"
  • Options

rikofold said:

Not all of us think it's the brightest move to get Roland out. Using his money more wisely than he is would be better.
    Sadly, that reads like "He can stay and keep pumping his money only if I'm (we are) allowed to dictate what it's spent on"
    I think you have to twist it to read it that way.

One question to illustrate it: if you had £9m to spend on incoming transfers, do you think it could be more wisely spent than on players like Polish Pete or Lepoint?
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Not directly related to most recent posts but. Last year KM did ask on the FF for volunteers to help the club with a target 20 type group, I was the only group (CAS Trust - its not called CAST BTW) to volunteer its services.

The initiative being under the remit of club development, under Lisa Squires i know rik of old began trying to meet with her. Its something we had been pushing for since the first time we full began to fully engage with the club under Bradshaw.

Altho that man had his detractors he did see the value of a joint statement and collaborative approach. We began in ernest with Fill the Valley a leaflet campaign promoting football for a fiver, and also dubbed Knock up your neighbours, we later looked at the possibility of marketing a whole block. It wasnt quite the finished article but it was the beginnings of something.

We wanted to formalise the group with a small working group and larger focus group. things got derailed as the club began to focus on being sold and then taken over, then kensells season ticket debacle pretty much ignored the suggestions he received, and that was that.

• Options
    If ever another one of these happens it needs to be filled with people with bite like airman not people who love the sound of their own voice
  • Options
    mrbligh said:

If ever another one of these happens it needs to be filled with people with bite like airman not people who love the sound of their own voice

I'll take that on the chin, I was overly verbose on the night for sure.

That said we have to acknowledge that the club made the evening what it was, not the fans. I cannot for the life of me imagine why the club thought sticking JJ on the panel would help the conversation along. The issue ahead of the meeting was one of trust, and I personally feel the club acted in bad faith on the night in various ways - even if they did so with the best intentions, they should have done what they said they would do and been open to an outcome that would please both sides.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Not sure who who was but there were a couple of good orators on there who were calm and composed with their approach
    It's a thank less task but I'm truly grateful to the cool heads Rikofold and co amongst our support who have made me think a bit more about my own take on things which previously was get em out no matter what but that's not a realistic approach

Although I'd still like em out !!

Personally, I'd like them to use their money to better effect (for themselves as well as for us!). Doesn't have to be perfect in my own eyes, not my money, but to see good management decisions are being made with it to support the admirable objectives. If they can't or won't do that, then I think there's a risk to the club that could hurt us for years to come - and I'd rather they passed it on to someone who would have a greater positive impact if that were the case.

I won't use their CL handles here, that's up to them, but those who I'm aware asked a question or related something to the club on the night included (in no particular order) me (Rich Pemberton), Brenda Smith, Nigel Pamment, Steve Clarke, Craig Norris, Craig Parrett, Ian Wallis, John Commerford, Christine Lawrie, Vernon Roper, the inimitable Syd Cheeswright, and club shop employee. I've probably missed a couple out there.

By the way, personally I thought Syd had a point (and I'm hardly one to criticise him for verbosity!)- it was unplanned from our perspective, but he brought it up at a time when operational issues were being discussed as examples of fan disenfranchisement. We did perhaps allow ourselves to get bogged down a little in the detail but he did highlight why the club trying to get everyone's views represented meant - in the event - that no-one really got the representation that was needed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I don't think she does to be fair. That is just a quote from the meeting, lifted, and twisted to create a nothing article about Gomez. I don't think Katrien has the faintest idea who the writer or the publication is. The sort of dross that we accept as journalism nowadays simply because someone "publishes" it
    Thought this might be the case.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

I don't think she does to be fair. That is just a quote from the meeting, lifted, and twisted to create a nothing article about Gomez. I don't think Katrien has the faintest idea who the writer or the publication is. The sort of dross that we accept as journalism nowadays simply because someone "publishes" it
    Which is why you opened with "off she goes again"....
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Which is why you opened with "off she goes again"....
    Exactly ;-)
  • Options
    rikofold said:

* The desire to communicate more with fans and in a better and open way is an honest one and they are looking at how this can be done going forward. They seem very keen on the openness bit and want more filming of meetings. One suggestion is live streaming and taking questions online if it can be done. There is an awareness that there is a long way to go but want to do better.

Dr Covey's 7 habits includes, "seek first to understand, then to be understood". You have to listen if you want to communicate, not least because you have to understand how your messages will be received. If there's a lack of trust, repeating a mantra will not overcome it but entrench it. The key is acting in genuine openness, not filming meetings. The latter is only helpful if you're open in front of the camera.
    By the way, I'm aware that this is true for CASTrust and other fans' groups too - if we want to be heard, we need to make sure the message is put over in a way that's empathetic to where the club's people are too. It's important to hear the will is there, just I hope the openness to be challenged is too - we didn't really get that from Tuesday.
  • Options
    rikofold said:

rikofold said:

I think you have to twist it to read it that way.

One question to illustrate it: if you had £9m to spend on incoming transfers, do you think it could be more wisely spent than on players like Polish Pete or Lepoint?
    Fair enough, but let me float this. Dowie and Pardew were allowed to spend a lot of money and I would argue that they wasted a lot of it. With hindsight £1.55m for Izale McCloud was a shocking waste of money, for example. If those two managers, can waste money it does beg the question 'Is it easy to find great players cheaply?' I suspect it is not.

This chap's approach is, for what ever reason, to sign players that might be great but night not, hoping that he unearths a few gems along the way to pay for those that don't work out. The only way to guarantee that all players are great is to sign those that have proved they can do it, and they are very expensive.

I don't disagree that some of the money has been wasted. Some of it hasn't. Up to now there is no evidence, at all, that the set up is able to deliver value on transfers and/or turn an overall profit. All the sales thus far have been players that were here when they arrived. However, as much as I agree with you that Polish Pete and Lepoint have cost money and provided no return I do question if it was easy for someone else to spend that money much more wisely without the benefit of hindsight, which you clearly have now.

Maybe I did use my words to, intentionally, make a point but it still doesn't sit comfortably with me that we are willing to allow anyone to 'invest' money into our club but only if they spend the money in the way that we like. What that leads to, you must understand, is a discussion about, not only what the money is spent on but how much is spent. That £9m could easily have been spent on two or three players then we (whom ever we are) would have wanted a bigger squad. I don't think the signings are all that bad when you take into account the number of players we had to sign. For example, I seriously doubt that anyone could put together a good enough Championship squad for £9m. £29m maybe but not £9m.

I don't think the issue is, so much, what the money is spent on but that fact that he is not spending enough. Pardew spent £12.5m in the summer of 2007 after Dowie had spent £11m the year before. Prices have rocketed since then and we've spent £9m in two years.

I'm not an apologist for RD or KM but based on the money they are going to 'invest' I don't, personally, think we can expect much more in terms of squad strength. So, he has to go or we can't expect much more.

The biggest trick would be finding someone that has £100m that they are desperate to turn into £10m in two years. Until he find him or her we are a little depending on RD and KM.
  • Options
    My ' 98%' leaflets will be available from Friday. Can be emailed £0.00, posted £0.00 + 42p P&P or collected in person on the day £0.00.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Definitely agree that would be the right place to start.
  • Options

rikofold said:
    I'm not an apologist for RD or KM but based on the money they are going to 'invest' I don't, personally, think we can expect much more in terms of squad strength. So, he has to go or we can't expect much more.

Agree, and RD didn't "invest" £9m as it was partially covered by transfer fees received, so we should expect much less.

Why is the club happy to disclose how much was spent on new players but not how much was received for player sales? The word "spent" could mean gross spend or net spend, KM looked a bit sheepish having failed to leave us with the impression it was the gross spend. The first lesson in communication is that providing facts is not the same as providing information.
  • Options
    I haven't heard anything from the meeting to suggest that anything will change from when KM said "M Duchatelet will do things his way and the fans have to understand that".
  • Options
    Instead of attacking the puppet, cut the strings instead..
  • Options
    edited November 2015
  • Options

Agreed and I don't think you can criticise KM for this transfer.